SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #25 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Unless you're looking to experience the "nightlife effect" all day & all night long, do not stay at SLS BH.While I am a big fan of Philippe Starck, SLS is a mish mosh of design. Nothing flows and everything is an eye sore.
The rooms are dark and the walls are paper thin. I could hear the guy next door sneezing and his TV most of the night.
The staff is young and quite clueless. No sense of urgency and certainly NO sense of luxury.
SLS is no more than a very average 3 star, at most.

The food was average as well and expensive. LA has so many great hot spots that are excellent, Bazaar and Tres are not among them.

Spa was not particularly clean and the products I buy at CVS are better.

Bottom line,,,bad service, no one seems to really care about it either. Good luck! I am never returning, recommending or staying at an SLS again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Trailblazer99
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

I’m sorry to learn of your unfortunate experience at SLS. I have been able to speak to my management team about your experience, and can assure you that the issues you raise are being properly examined, as they are not characteristic of our hotels level of service. In addition, I am pleased to share with you that we are in the final stages of installing our new lighting project that will significantly amplify all 297 rooms within the hotel. In addition, we have recently rolled out our new Ciel Spa amenity line, which has been quite well received amongst our guests, and we do hope you will consider a second visit to try them out! Thank you again for your feedback, we do hope you will visit us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,890)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Pool area is great and fun (though I had mixed experiences with the staff up there). The hotel area could stand a good cleaning. The rooms are spacious, but cheesy. The lighting gives everything a brown effect, so you can't match your clothes in the mirror or app,y make-up. It's hard to get comfortable. Abd there's no bathtub (a pet peeve of mine). Some of the staff are great - some are not. Overall, I just don't know how Starwood calls this hotel part of their "Luxury Collection."

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Amy D
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

I'm sorry to learn that your recent visit was less than impressive. We strive for service excellence,and I'm disappointed to learn that your experience was less than perfection. Should you wish to speak further of your experience, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email at SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com. Whether it may be business or pleasure, we do hope you will consider another visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

It started with the Front Desk upon check in, not knowing what time their outlets opened. Very long hallways leading to a dark and very dirty room: filthy carpet, stained drapes, many hairs in bathroom, in room safe that did not work, mini bar amenities that had expired and were harder than a rock AND items left opened from a previous guest and never removed.
Room service breakfast does not start before 7a so if you are a business person, this is not the place for you.
I had heard so many great things about the food and beverage experience and was truly disappointed by it all.
There are so many wonderful hotels in LA. SLS is not worth a stay I regret. Quite a shame as it was, in the past, under previous ownership, a true gem.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Anne M

On behalf of everyone at SLS, I'm terribly sorry to learn of the unfortunate experience you have had at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. Should you wish to further discuss your stay, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com. We do hope you will reconsider visiting SLS Hotel, so we can show you how magical the property truly is.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Hotel is cool. LA style, which means a tad over the top and "ung, cha, ung, cha" if you know what I mean. Feels like a hang out, and probably what was intended. That said, rooms were great. Bed was nice. What I don't like is the non-stated $40 a day parking charge (tip not included) and the price tags on every single thing in the room. Really. The rooms aren't cheap. I don't need to feel like I'm nickel and dimed on top of that. I get it, but for some reason it feels slight. Great location, rooms are nice. Probably still worth it. And, shame, didn't make it up to the pool which i hear is superb.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback is extremely important to us as we continue to grow and evolve the SLS brand. Should you wish to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to reach out to us at SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com. We do hope you will consider visiting SLS Hotel again in the near future, in hopes of allowing for time to experience Altitude pool as well!

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I recently stayed here for two nights on a business trip.

If the underlying philosophy of this hotel is to create a hotel room that does not look like a hotel room, then the proprietors have succeeded. Alas, many conventional design features in hotel rooms serve a functional purpose. For example, it is fine to have lights that do not look like lights, but not if they only illuminate a patch or two of the rug, and it is fine to have chairs and sofas that do not look like chairs and sofas, but not if they are so uncomfortable that no human being would want to sit upon them. And an illuminated clock, goodness, how jejune, let's get rid of it, but it sure would have been useful in the middle of the night. And a master light switch near the bed, not very slick, let's not have one, etc...

Other annoyances:

The lobby was so dark that when I came in from the California sunshine I had to stand for a minute for my eyes to adjust.

The lobby/reception staff wasn't that attentive and, when attentive, creepily obsequious.

The "fun" little sayings riffing off SLS. (For example, in business center, Surf Lovely Sites.) These were posted everwhere. I dubbed them Stupid Little Sayings and came up with some of my own, including the title to this review: Subpar Lighting Systems, So Laughably Smug, Staff Largely Smarmy, and so on.

Fortunately I am an early riser, so the loud conversations taking place outside my door from 430AM-530AM didn't bother me that much.

It was not all bad, of course. There was a certain feeling of luxury. The bed was quite comfortable. They had dishes of these tasty mini-apples near the elevator. The pool and gym looked nice, though I didn't have a chance to use them.

My last visit I stayed in the Sofitel around the corner and I much prefer it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

I'm sorry to learn of your less than enjoyable stay at the property. I am pleased to inform you that we have recently begun our installation of our new lighting project which will substantially increase the lighting of the rooms and bathrooms in all 297 of our accommodations. I have brought your concerns to the attention of the management for the property to ensure that the concerns you have raised are properly handled. I do hope you will consider giving SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills another chance so we can show you how magical SLS truly is. Should you wish to discuss any details of your stay further, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Had a great time and the service was fantastic. Rooms can do with a bit more lighting, and certainly check the bill twice as errors do occur. very upbeat atmosphere

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for the wonderful comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. Please do note that we have just begun installation of our new lighting project in all of the rooms, so we do hope to have you return in the near future to experience the new lighting project. I am sorry for any billing concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us should you wish to further discuss any billing inquiries SLSBeverlyHills@slshotels.com. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

The SLS in Beverly Hills is truly a wonderful experience from arrival to departure. I stayed here over the period of 25-27 April, in the Terrace Suite.

Upon arrival at the SLS, which is fantastically located I might add, the doorman greeted me warmly, the front-desk staff were very cheerful, and offered their considerations for where to eat, and what to do during my stay. The hotel is beautifully decorated, modern-chic is the look I would describe it as. It was a tad dark, but I guess that's all the rage now, and it truly was designed right down the finest detail!

The room was fantastic - really great! Great minibar, superbly stocked, superb beds and linens, and the room amenities were all perfectly placed. The bathroom products are of the Spa, "Ciel" and are delectible, I wish I had purchased some when I was there! The room is very large, with a centrally located bed, quiet and there was a quiet terrace, which unfortunately I could not use as it was raining during my stay.

The Spa, "Ciel" was also fantastic! The staff were so attentive, very kind and honest. I had a deep tissue massage which was superlatively relaxing, and used the steam room facilities, all of which were impeccably clean and well appointed. The decor in the Spa was very modern, and definitely to my taste.

I also tried out the must-go-to restaurant, "The Bazaar, which was WOW! The gastronomic experience blew my mind, and along with the reasonable prices it was fantastic! You must try the Dry-Ice Caipirinhas, as well as the olives, Philly cheese steak sandwiches! They are really fantastic!

What makes this hotel so great is, well everything! The staff are so attentive, I was definitely impressed! The decor is great, the rooms spacious, the spa relaxing, the restaurant hip and delectable.

If you are planning on staying in LA, stay at the SLS!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
SLSBHManager, Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for the most wonderful review! Whether it may be business or pleasure we look forward to welcoming you back to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Downtown
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
#13 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!