“Property very posh & nice - service not so good”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #25 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Heard so many great things about SLS & decided to stay there instead of my YEARS of staying at the Standard when I'm in LA. SLS lived up to the "visual" experience of it all. Boutique small posh hotel. However the service was not up to expectations. Check-in service was good even though our room was not ready, yes we were there early & they did call us as soon as room was ready, thank you. Food in restaurant was good but service was poor. Pool deck service was the worse. Yes, you can get your feet massaged and a pedicure pool-side but what does a chick need to do to get a food & drink? Well, if you're in the whole "LA Scene" who "knows somebody that knows somebody that is working the bar".. then Yes, you can get a drink. However, if you're a paying guest.... not so much. Way over-priced for drinks (yes I know, it's LA... but even for LA...). Long hair don't care & enjoyed my stay. However, we chose other places for dinner, Happy Hour, & late night caps. Rooms very nice & the bell staff is good to go. Will stay in the future for the rooms but not for the pool deck experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your candid feedback. I would love to speak with you personally about your visit and where your experience did not meet your expectations. Our conversation will help me give our team the training, support and direction it needs to exceed our guests' expectations moving forward. Please contact me directly at sls.bh@luxurycollection.com.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

The rooms at this hotel are some of the best I have experienced in LA. If you want a modern up to date room with all of the amenities this is the place to stay! I went with a group of friends and had a great time at their pool area over Memorial day weekend, The crowd around the very tiny pool were good looking 20-40y/o stuffed in the cabanas and around the pool. They had a dj playing house music which created a mini las vegas style atmosphere.

The service throughout the hotel was exceptional and the amenities were a plenty. If your interested in renting a cabana poolside make sure to reserve it early. Also, make sure you bring your wallet as the food and beverages can add up quickly. For 4 people we had two tabs for a total of $772. But if you have been to the W pool in Hollywood and prefer a smaller party atmosphere make sure to try out the SLS.

We would have rated it higher except for the poor view from the rooms. The beds are extremely comfortable and the black out vegas style curtains were very welcoming the next morning!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view. We had 3 rooms there and none of them had a view but all of the layouts see...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CarteBlancWine
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you so much for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills and for the wonderful review. I'm sorry to learn you were disappointed with the view from your room. As a city hotel, a view is somewhat challenging; however, we are happy to take your preference as to what you would like in the future. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The SLS is listed as a category 6 property by Starwood and in my opinion should be no more than category 4. It's stylish yes, hip and trendy yes... But I am afraid it is only for the young trendsetters to enjoy. Unfortunately once you get to a certain age and require glasses mood lighting is not attractive and neither are showers set in very deep baths...both leave you feeling vulnerable !
The restaurant and lobby served excellent food with very good service and atmosphere. The hallway of the hotel look very seedy and have the feel of a seedy motel the checking staff were welcoming and provided very good service.i am afraid that this property has sacrificed luxury for trendiness and it is hoeing its age already.i would recommend this for the 20-30 age group as it does have a funky feel and the pool area is definitely for beautiful young things !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jshAdelaide
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills; however, I'm so sorry to learn that you left unhappy with your experience. The Philippe Starck design is not for everyone; however, I am sorry to learn that you felt we fell short in our service delivery as well. I hope you will consider speaking to us further about your experience, so we can best understand your concerns and hopefully welcome you back in the near future. Please contact us at els.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com. Thank you.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for 4 awesome nights. Enjoyed their delicious breakfast, their yogurt is must try!! Hotel rooms are great and wonderful. Easy access to main roads in LA. Loved everything about the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank ammn11

Thank you so much! We look forward to welcoming you back to the property!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

My family just spent a few nights at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills. The hotel is really great in a great location just 2 blocks from the Beverly Center. We were only about a 7 minute drive to the Rodeo Drive shops as well. It was fantastic!

Check in was a breeze. Normally check-in isn't until about 3 PM but we arrived early. We were in Palm Springs for vacation but I had a business meeting up in Beverly Hills so I decided to bring my family for a little mini vacation. We arrived earlier around 12 PM and since I have premier status with SPG they said I could check in early. They were just cleaning the room so we waited in the lobby area.

The customer service is great here from all of the staff. For example, while we were sitting there with the kids, a really nice gentleman (employee of the hotel) came over to us and asked if we needed anything at all. Then he asked us if he could get some i-c-e c-r-e-a-m for the kids. He didn't say it but spell it out. (He must have been a parent...ha ha). He said it was on the house but we were just getting to go to lunch so we politely turned down the offer. But it was very kind of him to ask. (I believe his name was Leroy and he was a manager of security).

Our room was ready shortly after that. Our room was VERY clean, spacious and had a huge bathroom with a HUGE tub with rainfall shower from above. It was cool and the kids loved it. The TV was a big LCD TV behind a mirror. It had HDMI jacks at the side of it but it didn't work too well. The picture showed up but it was a strange color. We were only in town a few nights so didn't worry about it.

The wi-fi said it would be $15 a night when we signed in but they didn't charge me anything on the check-out. I think they said it was complimentary for everyone but it might have been because of my status with SPG. I'm not honestly sure.

The beds were really comfortable and the rooms were quiet. We did get room service one morning when the kids wanted scrambled eggs. This is probably one of the few disappointments of the hotel. The eggs were really bad and it looked like they put the eggs in a blender as it came out in such tiny pieces. The kids didn't end up eating them which was a shame as they charged $30 for 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast.

We went on the hotel pool on the roof and it was nice. The kids loved it as it was only 3 feet so they could touch the bottom. It's just to dip in and relax. Most people weren't in the pool anyway. They were just hanging around the pool flirting with one another. (We saw a lot of guys with cheesy lines getting shot down left and right by girls there).

I can't say the bar area is any good. My wife ordered a Pina colada and they said they don't have that. Then she said a margarita. And the waitress said she would see if they had that but kept pushing a Mojito on us. We said we would rather have a margarita blended. The waitress said they don't do blended drinks. The waitress then came and said, "I just brought you a mojito...they are really good". Huh??? We were confused by that one. LOL. We didn't end up drinking it as it tasted horrible. But we still paid for it. They automatically add on 20% tip for any drinks. We didn't mind that but it would be nice if they offered more of a selection. Seemed strange.

The valet guys were VERY nice. They always just kept our car up front by the lobby. There were a stable of cars there that they just kept there and ours was one of them so we never had to wait for our car ever. It was very convenient.

In the area, there are MANY great restaurants. I'd highly recommend Matsuhisa which is 1.5 blocks to the right as you exit the hotel. BEST sushi I've ever had. REALLY great and they do take out as well if you want to bring it back to the room. I also saw a sign that said that Genwa Restaurant is coming soon across the street. (GREAT Korean restaurant).

There is a Trader Joe's grocery store to the left of the hotel just 1 block down which is convenient if you want to stock up on drinks or something.

All in all a FANTASTIC hotel with great staff and service. I'd definitely stay here again on my next visit to Beverly Hills.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank saintba

Thank you so much for your recent visit to the property with your family. I'm so happy you enjoyed your SLS experience! I'm sorry to learn about the confusion with the Altitude Pool order, I will be sure to follow-up on that personally. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the near future. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Rooms are smallish but stylish, crisp and contemporary. Uber comfortable beds. Deliciously aromatic bah and grooming amenities. Nicest sheets and towels I have seen in a very long time.
Breakfast is my favorite meal because The chef makes a special olive oil pancake which sound odd but you will want to marry them. They are dense but moist round discs of pancake hat you wish would never end. So tasty.

The food at this hotel is excellent and very non traditional. It is a fun place to be and a popular scene.

Our one unpleasantness was the degree of heavy smoking all night long on the upper floors. The smoke was so thick and prevalent that it was nauseating, and this is a non smoking property. We called security but they did nothing. This is a Starwood property and smoking is strongly forbidden (we know this because we were fined $200 for having a cigarette on the balcony last year.) I am still waiting to har from the hotel on this issue.

Room Tip: If like an all night party then ask for a room on the higher floors. It is nonstop Smoking and drink...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jpresskin

Thank you so much for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I'm so pleased to hear how wonderful your stay was. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the smoking you experienced. I am personally following up with this and my team, so we will be in touch in the coming days. Again my sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the SLS except for when we first got into the suite, the toilet had not been cleaned and was also plugged up. I called Guest Services and they sent up engineering to fix the issue. He came in with a plunger and then said that everything should be fine. I called for housekeeping to come up and when she was cleaning the bathroom she stated that the unit was still not working and that engineering would have to come back. She said that she would call engineering but I called Guest Services again and she said that she would get them back up right away. The engineer comes back with a snake and fixes the issue and then housekeeping comes back to re-clean the bathroom. The whole process takes over an hour and was inconvenient as my spouse needed to use the bathroom and we needed to freshen up a bit to go out. I thought that the SLS would do something for the inconvenience but nothing was offered. Other than that, our stay was very nice. The front desk staff was excellent and gave me an upgrade for my SPG Platinum status to a suite on the top floor. This was much appreciated as the room was nice. First time I received an upgrade after several previous stays here. At both check in and check out, the Front Desk staff was excellent. The staff in the lounge/dining area of the hotel was excellent as were the guest services throughout the rest of the hotel. The choice of food and beverages for the complimentary breakfast buffet for Platinum members was very good as was the service. On another note, we went into Bazaar later one evening and sat for about 10 minutes waiting to order some drinks. A number of wait staff went by and none asked if we had been waited upon. We were a bit tired so decided to leave and not order drinks. Have had some similar issues in the past there while trying to get drinks. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the SLS and will consider returning.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Please forgive me as to what took place with your bathroom during your visit. An experience like that should not take that long, nor should it have been a problem in the first place. I am happy you enjoyed your overall experience however, and do look forward to welcoming you back in the coming months!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!