“Beautiful, but a little to pretentious for a "normal" person”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #29 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Orlando, Florida
“Beautiful, but a little to pretentious for a "normal" person”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were visiting Los Angeles for my first time and picked this based on the location as we are Starwood Preferred guests and SPG AMEX holders. We pulled up in our rental car and the valet and bellman couldn't be nicer. But as soon as I walked in and went to the front desk, I knew this was no ordinary hotel. The place is beautiful, the rooms are gorgeous (but I agree put some light in the bathrooms), even the employees are beautiful but they are all like stuck up robots! The front desk girl spoke to me like I was a child, the hostess and the waitress in Tres acted like they were too good to serve you. And the waitress at the pool wanted nothing to do with us when she realized we weren't spending hundreds of dollars on a bottle. We've been to W's and Westins all over the country, Caribbean, and Hawaii and have never encountered staff that think they are better than you like that. I will say, Scott at the pool and Dan the driver were awesome. Them and our bellman were probably the only staff that didn't blow us off because I only had a Tory Burch bag and not a Chanel. The prices are very high (one mojito & water at the pool cost $40 because they shame you into buying an $11 bottle of Evian when you are thirsty) but we expected and didn't mind that. We have money, but will not be spending it here again. The staff takes the whole "this is Beverly Hills" stuff wayyyyyy to far. To fellow SPG members: I wish I would of booked the W Westwood instead.

2 Thank ktown25
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
I'm so sorry to learn of your unfortunate experience with us during your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I can assure you, we pride ourselves on our service excellence, and the way in which you were treated is extremely disappointing to hear. I will be personally speaking with our management team to further investigate the ambassadors you spoke with. I want to ensure no future guests experience such treatment. We do hope you will consider a second visit with us so we can show you how magical SLS truly is. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us to further discuss the details of your stay. You can reach us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com. Thank you, and again, my sincere apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

this is where you want to stay.
It is incredibly consistent.
The quality of the service, the food and the drinks only impress.
There is only one negative about the hotel and it is agreed by most friends who also stay... the lights in the bathroom are too dark.
It is "the place to stay in L.A"
central, convenient and there's always a car waiting to take you to the next latest restaurant or shop !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future! Please don't hesitate to ask us for additional lamps to be brought to your room! We are happy to send the up !
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just finished a 3 night stay at the SLS Beverly Hills. It's a beautiful property in a great location with a fantastic restaurant- The Bazaar. Unique and modern, lots of couches to lounge on in the lobby, and fabulous people watching. Had a little problem at check in- promised an upgrade, waited for the room, then they had to take it back because the occupants wanted a late check out. Management did feel terrible, sent Veuve to the room, gave us $$ toward dinner at the restaurant. Concierge was very helpful during the stay with directions, etc, and the salon had some real talent hidden away!! Our room was very spacious, modern, lots of mirrors, but a bit dark. Romantic but difficult to put yourself together while you are squinting! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to a suite
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I'm so sorry for the unforeseen upgrade situation, but am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are so fortunate to have such an incredible team and so happy you found the talents that lay within our property! Whether it may be business or pleasure, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I rarely leave a review when actually still at the hotel - second time for me to do this. First night, arrive at 1am. I am put in a room with the internal noise equal to five loud air conditioners running all at once. The next morning i am told that am next to a room with a pool. When I asked why put me in that room, answer is that no one has ever complained before. So I was then put into another room. All good from that front. Bfast the next morning they told me a wait because "full"...there were empty spots at the communal table. And I ended up being seated after waiting at the same spots that I had seen available. Asked concierge to make a spa reservation and left my cell phone. Was told the next day that the appointment was no longer available because i didn't call back in time. They had only left a message in my hotel room which obviously I did not receive since was not sitting in my room. I told the woman that would show her my cell phone and that there were no missed calls nor messages and her response of "well, we did call you and left a message" never changed. I have two nights left...tbd. And i trusted this hotel since booked through Am Ex platinum

Room Tip: don't get a room next door to any water device
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NYtraveler28
Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I'm so sorry that we were not able to connect while you were still on property, as am as so embarrassed to learn of the challenges you encountered. I'd ask that you reach out to us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com so that we can further speak of your recent stay and hopefully we can have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Location is on the outskirts of Beverly Hills, so the name is a misnomer. It's in La Brea if you ask me. The beds sit on a slightly raised platform and are not that comfortable. Also the walls are very thin. You can hear every party goer coming back to their room at night. Staff however was very friendly. Both the concierge and the front desk people were excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit to SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I greatly appreciate the time you have spent to share your feedback with us. I'm so happy to hear your comments on our ambassadors, we are so fortunate to have such an incredible team! We do hope whether it is business or pleasure, that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Shanghai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is a strange hotel - the red and pink-lit lobby tells you you're in a bordello and the bedrooms reek of retro-fifties with pin-tucked vinyl couches, grey walls, shiny chrome and mirrors EVERYWHERE. The box mattresses sit on a slightly raised metal platform with sharp corners that are guaranteed to snag you just above your ankle if you go too close to the edge of the bed. Bathrooms are better and well-designed, but they're still dark because of the grey wall and floor tiles. In the elevator lobbies there are pool tables with grey felt and wall-sized photos of gorgeous girls lying on their backs and licking their lips at you. It's as if a Playboy magazine art director needed a museum for Hugh Hefner. The roof pool is surrounded by wannabe's who are busy texting their friends to tell them where they are and after five o'clock a crowd in suits arrive to ogle the bikini girls and text their friends to tell them where they are. It's a surprisingly uncool vibe for a hotel that tries so hard to be hip. But there are good things: the entry floor level has one of the best restaurants in LA - Bazaar - and the design of the public spaces is much better than the bedrooms because the hotel can exhibit its chair and stool collection, which really belongs in a Mad Hatter's Tea party shoot. If you book through Expedia, the rate doesn't include breakfast or internet, so in the end the price is the same if you book through the hotel's site. Parking is of course extra, no matter who you book through. Reception staff are so busy being cool that you'll be ignored until you're ready to accept that it's a real privilege for you to be served by them. The location is great - three minutes walk from the Beverly Center and there are restaurants nearby including one called The Larder which serves very good organic food. You're in the heart of LA's restaurant scene on La Cienega, so five minute's drive in any direction will get you fed. The SLS Hotel turned out to be an overpriced experience but if you need to know what it was like to live in the fifties, give it a shot.

1 Thank beatric
Thank you for your recent stay at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills! I greatly appreciate the feedback you have provided to us, and do apologize that you did not entirely love your stay. I'm glad to hear of the many aspects you did enjoy about your experience, and would ask that you contact us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com if you would be interested in speaking further about your stay. As mentioned, I greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the property in the near future.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

My family stayed at the SLS Beverly Hills in August 2013 and had a wonderful stay. When we got to our room, we had been put in a King room which was lovely, however with a family of four and only 1 bed this was not suitable. We went downstairs and the staff were wonderful and assisting us and we had adjoining rooms with in a few hours which were nice and big and perfect for a family which was sensational. The service was wonderful and helpful with our young boys (7 and 5). Would recommend this hotel and wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
We are so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent visit. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Until next time...Sparkle Like Sunshine!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#46 of 349 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!