“Watch out: full cc charge upon checking in!”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #29 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Zurich, Switzerland
“Watch out: full cc charge upon checking in!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

First the good: I really like the stylish room (had a studio) and the great location. The bad: When you check in, they not just run your credit card for the amount to be charged, they fully charge your credit card! Once you check out and pay, they lift/cancel that initial charge. Unfortunately, that's not what happened after my stay. I checked into another hotel a few day laters only to have my card declined. I called my credit card bank and was told that the inital charge has not been cancelled, meaning my card was charged TWICE for the full amount and sending it over the limit! This is totally unacceptable. Guests should be made aware of this at the time they check in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter B
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the accounting challenges you experienced. I want to first and foremost be sure this has been properly resolved for you. If it has not, please do not hesitate to reach out at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com. I do hope the remainder of your stay was enjoyable and hope that you will consider a future visit. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here two nights for work and was very very pleased. The customer service is top notch, from the front desk staff all the way to the accounting personnel who helped me with a billing issue a few weeks after my departure. The room is a little dark, and combined with the many mirrors you might need a few minutes to get your bearings, but everything was pleasant and comfortable. I really enjoyed the bed and could have stayed in it the whole trip! I did have a few drinks at the hotel bar and enjoyed the service there as well. I did not see the pool but heard good things about it. The location is nice as I ate at the nearby Chipotle a few times and also shopped at the Beverly Center and Trader Joe's (all within a short walking distance). Finally, I liked the pool table in the hallway of my floor... I didn't use it but it's a nice touch!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SLSBHManager, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful words from your recent stay. Whether it may be business or pleasure, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future! Until next time…Sparkle Like Sunshine!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My personal opinion whoever does the staff hiring/training should be fired but let's keep it to the facts.

1. I was amazed how little entire front desk staff knew layout of the hotel. I asked for a quiet room opposite facing La Cienega. This ended up to be a big challenge. First we were placed side view above a loading dock trash. After 10min three staff member we were finally offered a "downgrade" to accommodate west view and at that point didn't want to further asked for other rooms (I am 6.3" and booked a high floor king with remarks quiet, please). Got a double bed which for me is a bed too small and makes a big difference.
At less than 50 % occupancy during our first couple days it's interesting that they couldn't find any room that would fit what we booked. Not to mention any upgrade opportunity (see point 4 spg members). A couple sleeping in two separate beds in vacation wasn't what we normally do.

2. Insulation between adjoining rooms is none existent. I travel a lot and yes you can sometimes hear some background noise. Not here. You can actually understand every single word people were saying in room next door. Especially nice wen they come back to have a party at 2:30AM two nights in a row and play rap music all day.

3. On our first day we forgot to cancel privacy button. No room cleaning of course (our fault) but then when I asked late afternoon before going out for dinner to have room cleaned they said right away. We came back that night to an uncleaned room.
Second day room was cleaned but a big mountain trash and laundry greeted us at our room interior entrance (see picture). How can maid leave a room this way?

4. SPG elite members: Better to stay at a W or others that have the upgrade process down much smoother. See point 1. When politely asking if there weren't any upgrade possibility its started a whole other level of confusion and we were offered a second floor La Cienega room (exactly not what I wanted during our decompress vacation) with staff not knowing where others room would be to upgrade to. Staff even said herself bellman have to room locations much more down then they. Again when we checked in hotel it wan't booked anywhere near capacity. Later in the week yes.

5. Internet wifi is less than stellar. At times on our two computers websites wouldn't load at all.

6. Many guest were frustrated with elevator key reading slot. It took a special touch to get it going. Actually doors to room were fine. Could use new reader or system.

7. I am not sure how they work the main door but once in a while someone would be located at the door to open it for you. 80% there was nobody. Guess that's just it is?

I would have given this a four star otherwise but simple things that can be done with good training. is a major flaw for a hotel like this. THIS IS NOT A ONE DAY STAY REVIEW. We stayed for 8 days and I think that can give a good idea of the hotel's inner works.
2 stars left are for location, design and overall cleanliness. I am sure the Hotel can rectify most of these issues. Let's see ....

Torsten K.

Room Tip: ask for non-adjorning rooms if they exist and if you want quiet off LaCienega
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Torsten K
Thank you for your recent visit; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate experience you encountered during your recent stay. The points to which you make are unacceptable and I am embarrassed to learn of the challenges you encountered. I'd like to ask you to reach out to us to further discuss the experience at slsbeverlyhills@luxurycollection.com. We hope to hear from you. Thank you again for providing your feedback.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed here in March for a business trip when my usual hotel was outside of the corporate rate. I really liked the decor of the hotel and my room was spacious, clean and unique. It was definitely not your typical hotel, which I appreciated since I travel a lot and most hotels are the same after awhile!

The complimentary coffee in the morning downstairs was wonderful. I took advantage of that daily! I also ate dinner one night after I got back and the food was excellent but small portioned. I didn't mind the small portions but if I were hungrier, I would have had to order an appetizer or salad to go with my main course.

The only thing I disliked: the entrance to the hotel from the street. The flow for cars coming in and out of the hotel doesn't work because you have to use the same driveway. This driveway isn't wide enough for 2 cars to come in and out. More than once, I couldn't get into the hotel and was stuck in a line of cars on La Cienega Blvd. while we watched for a Mazzarati to pull out. The hotel should consider having the other side of the driveway that exits to a side street as the entrance so cars can easily come in without disrupting guests who are leaving.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jennifer M
Bay Area
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Was there 1 night and full day. Wish I could have stayed longer. Spent the day by the pool with a friend. Service was great, I was there early so couldnt check into my room right away, they called my mobile once my room was ready and brought my room key up to the pool. Rooms are amazing, up to date, comfy bed and great decor, the mirror tv's was a nice touch. I was in room 478 with a balcony and no complaints. Food was great, service was great, scene was great. Would stay here again hands down and I am a hotel snob.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The SLS hotel has all the veneer of a W-- glamor, location and sexiness- the staff are clearly hired post Hollywood auditions, but what they lose in service and responsiveness they make up in looks and attitude (sarcasm alert). The restaurant (Bazaar) is amazing, and the crowd oh-so-SBE-hot, but the rooms are average and the pool mediocre. We couldn't find anyone to give us a towel in the middle of the day, the only time the pool is likely to be used during winter. We had an upgraded room-- and if I was Starwood took my recs I would drop this hotel, or downgrade its status-- $400 hotels should have better service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank akc001
Thank you for your recent stay at SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills. I greatly appreciate the time you have spent to share your comments with us and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the unfortunate experiences you encountered. I'd like to ask that you reach out to us at sls.beverlyhills@luxurycollection.com so that we can best understand the incidents occurred as a means of best improving our services. Thank you so much again for your visit, we do hope you will consider a second visit so we can show you how magical SLS truly is.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for a few nights recently on a business trip. Definitely better than W Hollywood and W Westwood. Also better than the Standard(s) as well.

I loved the selection in room service, the service in general, the rooms, the pool and pool bar, the Bazaar, the decor, the room cleanliness, the valet car cleaning, the valet attendants in general, Starck and Jose Andres everything, and the location is fantastic and in the center of EVERYTHING.

Definitely fashion forward. Could use some topical upkeep, like some scratches lining the hallways could be done over to give a more seamless, clean feel to the entire space.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#42 of 348 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!