“A Great Place for me to call Home when in LA”

SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills
Ranked #26 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Kapolei, Hawaii
“A Great Place for me to call Home when in LA”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I recently spent almost a month at the SLS and After a month at the property, I do think I am in a good position to comment on the property and its operations, especially after my 3 week stay in 2012. In a word: exceptional.

And might I add I think it even better than I remember in 2012 and I was much impressed then.

The physical plant is well maintained, interesting and both relaxing and entertaining at the same time. Very difficult to achieve. Needless to say the food was too good. All the way from room service to the restaurants. The spa was delightful and frankly I think the operations at the pool much improved over 2012.

The best part however of my experience was my contact and service from the people. Many hotel owners have told me over the years one of the best things about Starwood was the training of employees. I agree. And for me this experience was over a long period of time with most all of the departments that have any guest exposure. Management, reservations, front desk, housekeeping, concierge, room service, restaurants, bell service pool people, and the car drivers. All courteous and professional yet fun and delightful.

I cannot say enough to express my appreciation and my aloha.

Room Tip: Ask for one with good outside light.
Green Features: while bedding change was offered, I was asked which I appreciated.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Orange County, California
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our first impression arriving at the hotel is: Jeez, look at the long line of cars waiting for valet parking. The Lobby was so dimly lit that we felt like we were walking into a Nightclub. Then when we checked in, we were told that we had "been upgraded to a junior studio suite from a standard" room. Our first impression upon entering our room: Wow, it is spacious, but where are the rest of the furniture?! There were the 2 beds (as we requested), a small desk, one desk chair, one small bench and 2 stools. We could have danced a waltz on the remaining empty floor space. Worst of all, the bathroom was dimly lit as well, with a "shower" tub that you had to do a high jump (almost) to get in … then make sure you have long arms so that you can reach the controls. (There was also an apple left on the floor near the tub that Housekeeping did not remove … how good a cleaning job did they do? Maybe they did not see it because the room was so poorly lit.)

We checked in around 4:00 p.m. We got back to the hotel from having dinner and visit with some relatives around 9:50 p.m. My husband went right to the Front Desk and told them that we wanted to check out. Neither one of us wanted to risk breaking a bone while trying to take a shower.

The only thing we felt sorry about not staying overnight was that our relatives had booked us the room (using points) because they did not want us to drive the 60 miles home in the dark, us being 64 and 69 years old.

Room Tip: If you are senior citizens, make sure that you get a room with a "step-in" shower (if the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ayea
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife & I live in Orange County and like to get away for just a night now and then. Our anniversary is in a week and my birthday was at the beginning of the month and with 3 kids it becomes hard to find time to celebrate. I decided that a night at the SLS would be fun and top it off with dinner at The Bazaar. When making my reservation I was asked if we were celebrating anything and I said that we were. Upon check-in we're congratulated for our anniversary and advised that champagne would be waiting in our room for us! Such a nice surprise. But the part that stood out was a hand written note from Christine Mahle welcoming us to the hotel and also congratulating us on our anniversary. In a world where everything is "tweeted and re-tweeted" it's nice to see a personal touch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel does not suits for vacation, it is good for a weekend getaway. Rooms are small and dark with narrow ceiling, small pool on the roof. staff is slow and spoiled, if you tip them they will do everething to you but if you don"t they won"t even smile to you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MONTREAL
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just got back for a quick three day girls' escapade.

POSITIVE:
Great hotel in prime spot!
Great transport service, wether we were four or seven!
Service is offered within a 2 mile radius.
Excellent service.
Had a little mix-up at check-in with one of our rooms and they graciously compensated with bottles of bubbly.
Dinner at Bazaar was fantastic.
Good size room with all the comfort and ammenities expected.
Great cabana experience at the rooftop pool.

NEGATIVE:
Rooftop pool is not was we expected, far from reality is you look at website pictures.
Pictures gave the impression the rooftop was big and lavish.
No shade unless you rent a day bed or cabana.
Quite loud and happening area, so if you're looking for relaxation, this is not ideal.
Rooms are very dark, very small windows, unless you get a terrace room with patio door.
All mirrors (except one at bathroom sink) in the room were quite useless for thinted and could barely see oneself.
Closet door concept terrible. Was tall enough to open the doors while on the tip of my toes.
No one to open doors upon arrival or departure. Terrible when considering rating of this luxury hotel.
One of the concierge was quite snobbish. Telling us restaurant we had looked up was terrible, saying "No one goes there for the food". She rather suggested another place, "more elegant", which we checked out, and did not eat there. Found an amazing little restaurant a few steps away, all on our own! Thank you for aksing us what kind of restaurant we were looking for! Isn't that what a concierge is all about?

All in all, for the kind of escapade we had, I liked my experience.

But most likely stay at previous hotel I stayed in last time, which had AWESOME views and slightly less expansive.

Room Tip: Unless you want a bath tub, ask for shower only. Whoerver designed the bathtub went for looks only...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LOVE2TRAVELERS
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My complaint about this hotel is its notorious and consistently poor valet service. I have to cover lots of events in L.A., and so I have to valet park my car a lot. The SLS valet "service" is the absolute worst. The valet employees that I've dealt with at this hotel are rude, lazy and have broken things in my car and stunk it up. (Don't ask!) I usually try to avoid using the valet "service" here by parking at the back of the hotel (2 hour limit). Today, after I attended an event at the hotel, I once again waited and waited and waited for my car. It wasn't busy so there was no excuse for the excessive delay. People who arrived to pick up their cars after I did got their cars before me. The cashier was surly and didn't apologize for my long wait when I asked her if my car was arriving anytime soon. Another valet just standing around mumbled something rude. I wish this hotel would hire another valet company to operate its parking service. The one they have stinks. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Room Tip: Park on the street if you can!
9 Thank AngieCD48
Ruislip
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I arrived after an 11 hour flight and was greeted by the concierge who took my bags. I checked in and after 45 mins had to phone reception to find out what had happened to my bags -they arrived within mins. Otherwise my stay was a treat and I was extremely well looked after. \it was a bit on the pricey side but probably due to location. Very clean and staff very friendly so \I would rate customer service as 10/10

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#57 of 350 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!