“Simply Luxurious Surroundings”

Ranked #29 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Vancouver, BC
“Simply Luxurious Surroundings”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

LA...bright lights, beautiful people and glamour.

My friends and I had never been to LA before and since our friend recently moved there and was getting married we figured it would be a great opportunity for a bachelor party. Upon arrival we were greeted by numerous staff at Valet Parking, the main door, and the front desk. Checking in was a breeze and we entered our room to find simple yet tasteful and modern decor.

We got cleaned up and headed down to Tres where the bartender took good care of us and even took back a drink I wasn't satisfied with and made it right, no problem!

5 cocktails later we wandered over to Bazaar where the concierge was supposed to have made a reservation for our party. Unfortunately they didn't have our name on the list (tsk tsk Casey, I even confirmed before flying in with your colleague...) Fortunately Thierry, a gracious french host, consulted briefly with Joey the dashing Italian manager and had us seated very quickly. The night took off from there and we left hammered, full of food and memories from a wonderful night. Thanks go to Andrew, our server, as he had his hands full with us!

The next day while the amateurs slept off the hangover I went for breakfast around the corner and came back to the SLS to enjoy the weather and pool. WOW! It was wonderful! The service was great as were the surroundings and I had a great time meeting new people poolside! When I returned to the room the friendly housekeeping staff asked if we would like more time and we said yes :)

The afternoon was spent at the beach and the evening at a local nightclub.

Sunday we checked out no problem and jetted away back home with many fond memories of LA and particularly the SLS!

The beds were simply divine in my opinion. I slept as good as I did at home. The rooms were roomy enough and the bathrooms were fantastic. Loved the shower!

Temperature controls in the room were great and very responsive. Too hot? Turn it down and within a minute or two it's where you want it to be.

Staff? All very friendly and attentive. No complaints and we had a nice time chatting with quite a few employees who as it were double duty in the Hotel/Resto/Pool etc. One was even a trained opera singer and serenaded us at the end of the night Friday! A real southern belle from Alabama and a looker to boot :)

Intangibles? Well, let's just say this Hotel was featured in Entourage...Lots of beautiful, friendly people from all over and we all enjoyed socializing at Bazaar. There were always half a dozen Italian/German/British luxury cars in the parking lot which was fun.

Not sure about all the negative reviews vis a vis the handles in the rooms and staining because our room looked brand new.

All in all we LOVED our stay and will definitely be back, recommend the Hotel to others and think back fondly on our stay!

Big thanks!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 11 September 2009
Another true SLS Hotel fan!

Thank you very much for your great review which I will be sure to share with all of our hotel Ambassadors.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon and please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally handle your reservations and arrangements.

Until we meet again... Sparkle Like Sunshine!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I had the good fortune to stay here essentially for free on Starwood's "Stay two nights, get a week-end night free" promo (I paid only for parking). The hotel definitely makes a good first impression. The service was quite professional, and despite looking a tad grungy after our day at Universal Studios, and despite coming in on a "free" night, I was made to feel like an honored Gold SPG guest. I was told that instead of the handicapped room the SPG phone rep said I would have to settle for, I would get an upgraded room on the top (7th) floor, and my internet and room water would be complimentary as an SPG Gold guest. I did not at all get this courtesy when I checked in for my free night at the Niagara Falls' Sheraton Fallsview hotel. I have one more free night pending at the Zuerich Sheraton, and we'll see.
The hotel is immaculately clean and well-maintained, albeit pretty dark everywhere, including the rooms, as many have commented before. Every floor has a pool table, although one has to go to the front desk to get the equipment, and I suspect they're mostly for show. Most floors also have "portraits" which morph from men to apes or monkeys. I had a reasonable Hollywood Hills view from my room.
The rooms are visually striking. There are multiple etched-glass drinking glasses of various colors in the room, as well as full-sized bottles of multiple soaps (body, face, hand, etc.). While some people commented on getting sprayed on when turning on the shower, it is actually possible to direct the flow to the opposite wall. The "mini-bar" is actually a full bar with full-sized bottles of fairly premium liquor, such as Patron tequila, and Russian Standard vodka. No prices were marked, and I assumed this to be a case of "If you have to ask you can't afford it."
As others have pointed out, the lighting is rather poor, and one of the weaknesses of the room. Another was the hard-cornered metal framing under the mattresses. I bumped my shins on it. I thought I was just being clumsy, perhaps, but my partner did the same thing, so this is one of the instances of "form over function."
Another example of "form over function" was exemplified by the pools. One of the pools is literally only 1 foot deep (30 cm), and the other 3' 6" (a bit over a meter). If I were paying over $300/night for a room, I think I'd want a pool one could actually swim in. The gym, on the other hand, is possibly the largest hotel gym I've ever seen, certainly for a hotel of such modest size. The business center, too, is very adequate for the hotel's size. Unlike some hotels which have 2 or 3 terminals, this hotel has a whole array for guests' use.
This is one of the most unusual hotel's I've ever stayed in. It's one of the most visually interesting, albeit perhaps not one of the most functional hotels in which I've stayed. I can see why some love it and some hate it. From the prices I've seen online, I think one could probably do better for the money, but it is handsome and has some nice staff.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive comments on the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills.

We are "truly unique" and I am pleased that you appreciated the hotel.

On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Costa Mesa, CA
Reviewed 25 August 2009

A hotel that allowed a designer to build a hotel. Not enough electrical outlets, a tub with a shower curtain...no shelf to keep soap and shampoo, ergo water on the floor. Had an uncomfortable bench disguised as a couch. You can make martinis in the room, but doesn't have a mini-bar w/food. A little more modern than we prefer.

2 Thank Capricorn2400
Thank you for your comments on the Hotel's design aspects.

We are a new paradigm in the luxury hotel experience thus the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills is certainly unique in design and concept. Being unique does not necessarily mean that it is not good.

In fact, we have recently won Best Achievement in Design at the recent Virtuoso Best of the Best 2009 Awards in Las Vegas.

Once again, thank you for your comments and See Life Sideways.
oregon
Reviewed 23 August 2009

This place is a nightclub nightmare. The pool is a joke, very crowded and we had to wait 2 hours for pool chairs. We finally broke down and bought a cabana because we wanted to get some some. We ordered two $16 drinks and could not believe how LOUD this place was. It was a vegas style atmosphere with very young "LA" people. We finally left the pool to go back to our room. OK, the bed is comfy but it is a little space ship in the rooms and tried too hard. We went downstairs only to get ripped off some more and be more overstimulated by noise and furnishings. If you want to relax, or feel calm do not go here. If you like to look at fake body parts and drink expensive drinks this is your place. I needed a vacation away form my vacation.

1 Thank amyapple
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 15 September 2009
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that our busy and popular hotel was not the quiet retreat that perhaps you were looking for on your visit to Los Angeles.

However, overstimulation to some of our guests might be seen as vibrant, entertaining, memorable and exciting to others. We are certainly a new paradigm in the luxury hotel experience and phrases from our website like "sleek sophistication" and "palpable buzz" support the concept.

If you will consider trying us again, please note our Private Guest Lobby, Tres and our Ciel Spa which are both the ultimate in privacy and relaxation.

Please feel free to contact me directly to assist with your arrangements.

Pasadena,Ca.
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Stayed one night here and really enjoyed myself.
Interesting design elements and you will DEFINATELY know you are"not in Kansas anymore"!
Service was warm and friendly.Room was very spacious with an outdoor private seating area.
The public areas are so full of interesting things.Really a special place.
With the above being said this is NOT a hotel for everyboody-and that is just the way I like it.
I stay in a lot of"nice"hotels and am thrilled to have a place that is sophisticated and aimed at a "grown ups only"market.
I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
GMSLS, General Manager at SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
A true SLS Hotel fan!

Many thanks for your positive comments and support.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Until we meet again... continue to See Life Sideways!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel with my husband and 8 year old son. We travel frequently, and have stayed at beautiful hotels in Australia, Asia and Europe- thus we KNOW what constitutes good service and that is where this hotel fails miserably.

1. We called ahead to see when our room would be ready for our arrival. We were still jetlagged from a long flight from Sydney, Australia, so we were looking forward to relaxing in a lovely hotel room. We were told 3pm. We arrived at 3pm only to be informed that the room wasn't ready, and we could go up to the pool deck and wait. Up we went. It was absolutely stinking hot up there. Shade is extremely limited, as is service. The waitstaff were very young and seemingly lacking the knowledge of how to properly look after guests. We sat and waited and waited and waited. In the heat. With a small boy. My husband ended up finally getting a young guy to take our order for a drink. And we waited and waited and waited some more. Finally the drinks came, and rather small and stingy they were.
Anyway, we ended up waiting for our room until it was almost 5pm by which time we were completely fed up and wondering if we should simply go to another hotel. As we were leaving to finally go to our room, we were presented with a bill for $65 for our drinks. We thought this was a bit rich, and asked for this to be taken off the bill when we checked out 2 days later. If this hotel is going to be so slow in ensuring rooms are ready by a given time, then herd unwitting guests onto the steaming hot pool deck- of course management should show a bit of goodwill and at least offer a couple of complimentary drinks!
2. The rooms are ridiculously dark.
3. The only possible way to get food in this hotel is to order to your room. The restaurant is either fully booked or shut. We tried to get some tapas in the restaurant one afternoon, and were shown to a table. No one came back to take our order. It was absolutely incredible. I've NEVER seen anything as inept as the service in this hotel!! We waited and waited and waited. The waiter didn't return, so we left. Funny thing was, as we left the waiter was hovering about at the door and asked "Going already?" (really surprised) and we responded with "Yes- why would we hang around when you're clearly not going to serve us??" So stupid, it's almost funny.
4. I really resented the message on every bill I signed for room service" "For your convenience we have added an 18% gratuity to your bill"... or something similiar. Where does this place get off helping themselves to MORE of your hard-earned money??? Then we really didn't want to tip the staff bringing the food to our room. One guy threw a mini-tantrum and snatched the bill folder from my husband's hand and knocked my coffee over when it became clear he wasn't going to get a tip. I'd like to give this hotel a TIP: TIPS ARE MEANT TO BE GIVEN IN GRATITUDE FOR GOOD, PROFESSIONAL SERVICE. THIS HOTEL DOES NOT OFFER THIS.

The few positives about this hotel would be:

1. The linen on the bed is lovely. The beds are extremely comfortable.
Mmmmm... I can't actually think of any other positive aspect of this hotel.

I have certainly told friends and family to avoid staying here. Go somewhere a bit more traditional. Somewhere that mightn't be as "cool" or "hip" as this place, but at least you feel as if you're being looked after by people who know what they're doing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank julieu278
I am sorry that you did not like the SLS Hotel.

If you ever do want to give us another opportunity, I hope that you will contact me directly. Despite how busy the hotel is, I will ensure that your room is ready upon arrival as this is very important. Clearly we did not start your experience with us positively.

I hope that you will give us another chance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Staying at the SLS was the best experience I have had so far with the luxury Starwood hotels. The room was very clean and created a sense of relaxation and privacy. Service was prompt and professional. Most of the other guests that I encountered seemed to range in age from their mid 20s to 30 somethings. We arrived on a Sunday, and the partying was still going on at the pool. There are always those few people that have to get wasted, and make themselves look foolish, but the staff took care of the drunk idiots quite quickly. When I come back to LA I will be looking forward to staying at this hotel again. I am happy that I am unable to find much of anything to complain about at this amazing hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the positive comments! I am so happy that you had a "Wonderful Experience."

Please feel free to contact me personally for your next visit so that I can handle your reservations.

On behalf of all of us here at the SLS Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Mr. C Beverly Hills
Mr. C Beverly Hills
#45 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to SLS Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!