“Very pleasant stay and great value”

Oxford Palace Hotel
Ranked #188 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Found this gem when unable to book Downtown because of last minute planning. This hotel had very clean, quiet rooms and linens and towels were changed daily. Do not provide room service but there is an adjacent Asian restaurant. Very close to multiple choices for breakfast and all kind of places to eat. No hidden charges and free valet parking in a city where $30 for overnight parking is not uncommon.
It caters mostly to Korean clients, Korean weddings and celebrations. Very attentive front desk staff.
Great location in central LA. I will very likely use it again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Golfzilla

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Attending a recent convention in LA and all downtown hotels were sold out and we didn't wait a long commute so we pick the Oxford Palace in Koreantown. The staff were very friendly and all spoke perfect English. Nice size clean rooms, and free valet parking (tips only). The best part was the hotel is less than 4 miles from Staples Center and the LA convention center. The price was about 50% of what we normally pay for a downtown hotel. We will stay they again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed here on business because it was local to the office where I was working. Right in the centre of Korea Town, so the hotel was geared up more for the Korean travellers. The hotel was pleasant and the service was good all round. Breakfasts were a little basic and I venture out to the more popular LA venues for meals throughout my stay.
Conveniently located for some of the attractions, such as Hollywood and downtown LA.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Despite a Korean hotel, the two staff at the check-in counter (both looked Korean) spoke fluent English. The hotel setting was old-school. The room looked tidy, but when one paid more attention, one would identify the inadequacy. First, there was no electricity outlet near to the desk -- how could I use my laptop for hours then? It ended up I had to sit on the ottoman with the laptop laying on the bedside drawer to handle my work emails. Then, I found that there was no iron and laundry board in the room. These are meant to be "must-have" items. Next, there were two shower heads in my room, one of them looked worn out with mineral crystals surrounding the water outlet holes. The other one (that looked new) however was okay and looked clean. I was probably unlucky to stay on the same floor with some family travelers. I heard kids talking and knocking on doors many times and some adults whispering outside of my room until 1 am at night. Perhaps I could have called up the concierge and got someone to stop them. But this also suggested how bad sound insulation was.

Next day, I went downstairs to get my free Korean breakfast. One could choose from the a la carte menu. I ordered a rice porridge with abalone. It tasted good, though there was only a few very very small slides of abalone. The interesting thing was, though the breakfast was free, I was asked to pay tips. I didn't bring any money with me. It ended up that I had to come downstairs again to pay for the tips. The staff was very polite though. The hotel management should really think about what's meant by "free". If the guests are expected to pay tips for something "free", please remind them in advance.

One good thing about this hotel is the location. It is located in the heart of Korean town. There are many restaurants and pubs within a few minute walk. Also, valet parking is free for guests.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ydenw
Reviewed 5 March 2013

i couldn't find the restaurant so i'm posting under the hotel where the restaurasnt is at

6pm on a weekday and it was quiet
had a few tables in
we both ordered a uni set and another set
included snacks and pickles and green tea!!
excellent quality

Room Tip: not applicable
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I really like this hotel in the heart of Korea Town. I managed to get a non-smoking room and it was comfortable. Right across the street from an excellent food market which allowed me to grab some fruit to complement the Korean BBQ from nearby restaurants. Two major problems however caused we to downgrade this hotel. Firstly, I had a terrible time getting into my room! As others have noted, the electronic key cards kept failing. 70% of the time. I was back and forth to the front desk and often they would send security up with the pass key. Secondly, the Wi-Fi was very intermittent. It kept dropping the connection. There was no way you could use Skype and even browsing the Internet was challenging. If they would only fix these problem, the rating would be 4 of 5!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Al H
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed at the Oxford for 3 nights from Dec 9-12 , 2012. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were better than expected considering the rate of 120/night. The bed was comfortable and the room very tidy. I was most impressed with how quiet the hotel was ..... didn't use my earplugs once.
The hotel is in a great location if you have a car. Not too far from main attractions and easy to get to while avoiding the highways.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room faced 8th street and was very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business