“Exceptional service”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 357 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 April 2014

7 of us stay in 2 rooms next to each other. Apart from this stair everything was excellent.

This service was very good and love the complimentary laundry service with next day delivery. .. love it

This snack bar was 24 hours free which was perfect for the kids.

The pool was nice and heated.

Would recommend it and would come back.

• Stayed: April 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,185)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 days as part of a family holiday in the USA in late March 2014.

America is know for its quality of service but this hotel takes it to a whole new level! For example, we arrived early due to the flight times from Australia and asked if staff could prepare the room earlier. The Manager Gretchen gave us some ideas of activities to fill in time while we waited, we asked if they could text us when the room was ready. We took a short walk to Hollywood Boulevard (Gretchen gave us tips on how to deal with the hordes of characters wanting to charge for photo shots - they are not free like Disneyland). Within a few hours we get a text that the room is ready to move into.

The examples of personal service are innumerable. But some that stand out for us include:

- Access to the pool 24 hours a day which is great for jet lagged visitors, my son and I had 2 swims at 4.00am in the morning, obviously we were quiet to not disturb other guests but there are not many hotels that allow this to happen.
- Access to a long list of DVDs for watching in the rooms again great for jet lagged guests with kids.
- The access to snacks and kids from the front desk.
- The front desk staff a incredibly accessible and help out with anything like directions, attractions etc.

In terms of room comfort we had an apartment like room with a fold out bed (in the lounge) and 2 double beds which are great for adults and children. The beds were incredible mattresses that seem about 2 feet in depth. There was a kitchen with oven, microwave and fridge. This is great for saving money, there is supermarket just down the road (on Hollywood Boulevard). The apartment has a dining area for eating too.

Some reviewers said the rooms were a little tired, but we really liked the style of apartment like accommodation that made it feel like a home rather than an anonymous large hotel.

The hotel is a short walk to the Metro train system to access Universal Studio and other attractions, its much cheaper and more interesting way to travel than taxis. So if you are looking for a location to visit the sites of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the Strip or Universal Studios then it's hard to go past the Magic Castle Hotel.

Room Tip: Book in advance, it looked like the Hotel was full booked when we stayed so don't just arrive ex...
2  Thank asweatman
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife, my son and I recently stayed at The Magic Castle for 3 nights.

The room was more like a 2 room apartment with my son sleeping on the fold out couch and all amenities including a kitchen.

The bed in the main room was wonderful and we slept soundly every night.

The laundry service was great (and complementary) we received the washing back the following day.

While in LA we had intended upon seeing a Dodgers game however we had left our run to late and were unable to obtain one through stub hub. Nick on the front desk was great in getting us quality seats. In fact he was a stand out for service through out our entire stay.

Overall our experience at the Magic Castle was fantastic and if we visit LA again we will be staying there for sure.

1  Thank Mal_content80
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Four of us stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel on Monday, 24 Mar 2014. It is an old and tired apartment building, which has been converted into a motel, and is definitely in serious need of some major maintenance/refurbishment/updating, and the egg-yolk yellow exterior color is a bit hideous to say the least. Nonetheless, the rooms are quite clean, quiet and spacious with kitchens, and two flat-panel T.V.'s, so there is plenty of lounging/sitting area for four people.

The Magic Castle Hotel is located within walking distance of several attractions in the Hollywood Area, and there are some very good restaurants nearby. Moreover, the staff was exceptionally courteous, cordial and helpful.

However, it is very pricey lodging ($267.46 for one night), which included an exorbitant $12.10 charge for parking. Overall, unless folks need to stay at the Magic Castle Hotel in order to gain access to the Magic Castle like we did, I would recommned shopping around, as there are other nicer and considerably cheaper motels nearby.

Although our stay was quite pleasant, I would not stay here again, unless this Motel undergoes some major refurbishment. Then the price would be more palatable, and more in line with the quailty of the lodging.

Room Tip: There is no significant difference in the rooms, except there is no elevator. Hence, ground floor ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I was so sorry to read that you weren't satisfied with the condition of our building. Please feel free to contact me directly with any specifics. I'm also sorry you weren't happy with the color of our building.
Just to be clear to anyone reading your comments with regard to our rates, it should be mentioned that you are quoting the price after the city taxes have been added. This is fine of course, but if anyone is comparing our rates with other hotels in the area, please keep this mind. The rate you paid was $224 plus 14% city tax for a One Bedroom Suite, which included a living room with a pull out sofa, separate bedroom with a king bed, full kitchen, and dining area. This included our continental breakfast, WiFi, 24 hour snacks, gym access at a local full service gym, laundry service (we do your laundry, fold it, and deliver it back to you at absolutely no charge), turndown service, and newspaper delivery. Our parking is $11.00 per night plus 10% city tax.

It's important to us that our guests feel as though they're getting a value when staying here, and I'm sorry this wasn't the case with you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss.

Darren Ross

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed 2 days at The Magic Castle Hotel in March to see the sights in LA. It is literally 2 blocks from Highland and Hollywood Blvd which is a great location. Super clean 1 bedroom suite with a fully stocked kitchen and a balcony overlooking the pool. The staff was very courteous and helpful to our questions and needs. Street parking is difficult here, but for a fee you can park in the garage under the hotel though it's a bit of a tight fit for large vehicles. The living room and bedroom each have large flat screen TV's mounted on the wall. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting LA.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My family stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel March 15, 16 and 17th and we had the best customer service of our lives!! The staff were "over the top". As the other reviews indicate, the staff were warm and friendly and couldn't do enough for us! We felt like were VIPs the whole time we were there. Kudos to Darren and his staff. Prior to visiting, I had emailed the GM, Darren as I had concerns about my elderly parents staying there with some mobility issues. Darren sent me a video via email showing me where their room would be in relation to the front desk, which showed me that other than the 13 steps to get into the hotel, there was very little walking for them. Darren also emailed a few days prior to our arrival to say he was sorry that he wouldn't be able to meet us during our visit, as he would be out of the country. And then, while we were there, and he was away, he emailed me to "check in" with me to inquire how things were going and to let him know of any concerns...I mean who does that??? But the thing that we were most impressed with was this - on returning to our room one night, we found a collage that the staff had done, representing some experiences that we had encountered during our sightseeing excursions. They were hilarious. They had been very creative and did a wonderful display of stars on our wall with funny captions. It was priceless. Oh, it also came along with a lovely card from them as well. Thank you Kevin! And if that wasn't enough, when we checked in at our next stop in Palm Springs, they had called ahead and had arranged with our next hotel to leave us chocolate covered strawberries with a lovely card saying "we hope the rest of your california vacation is wonderful...from the Magic Castle Hotel". Again, who does that???? Thank you Mallory!! I understand from the next hotel we stayed at, that this involved about 18 phone calls back and forth to arrange this. The customer service is why they are rated #1. I don't expect to ever experience this level of customer service anywhere else until I return to the Magic Castle again, which I certainly will. All the staff were fabulous, but the main ones we interacted with were Nick D, Kevin and Mallory...my goodness.. you are all top notch! And, as everyone has already said in the reviews, there is complimentary snacks availabel 24 hrs/day. Even when we were going out on excursions the front desk always made sure we had alot of snacks for the road. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast was great and the rooms were fabulous. They were spotless, huge and comfortable. Parking was not an issue. We had a very large 10 passenger van which couldn't fit into their regular parking garage, so they would move the hotels own vehicle to let us have their spot. There are no suggestions or complaints that I can write about. We were a party of 7, had 3 rooms, and we were all very, very happy there and we were sorry that we had to leave. Had we known how fabulous it was, we probably would have not booked our next few nights in Palm Springs and would have just stayed at the Magic Castle. Thank you Darren and team!!!!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be good. We were worried about traffic noise, but we didn't hear an...
1  Thank 1234Ontario
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We just got back from a week long vacation to Los Angeles and couldn't have asked for a better place to stay! For starters, the location can't be beat. It's less than a five minute walk to Hollywood Blvd! The staff were all wonderful and went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed. They even left a birthday cake, birthday card, and balloons on the bed when we first arrived because they knew I was celebrating my birthday while we were there. The free breakfast every morning was very tasty, especially the scones!! They also provide you with a menu of snacks and beverages that are all complementary. It was like having a free vending machine at are disposal. The room itself was comfortable and clean. I will say that the walls are rather thin. The hotel definitely attracts a lot of families and we heard a lot of kids running around and being a little loud outside. This might be because we were facing the pool. Luckily, the noise was never while we were trying to sleep so honestly it wasn't that much of a bother. Parking was a piece of cake at the garage underneath the hotel and the price to park is way cheaper than any other hotel in the area. Overall, we had a wonderful experience and we couldn't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple