“Excellent Family Hotel”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family of 4 ( 2 Adults and 2 Children) stayed at the Magic Castle for 6 nights mid April. This Hotel is by far one of the best family orientated hotels that we have ever stayed in. The hotel is not 5 star in luxury, but it does not claim to be either.
The willingness of the staff to offer assistance is amazing. On our first night we were doing laundry when a staff member offered to do it for us, I think she was actually disappointed that we told her we would do it ourselves. It is obvious that all the staff must really enjoy assisting their guess. The photos are accurate and the 1 bedroom suites/apartments are a great size for a family of four. My children are not shy and really made full use of the snacks, not matter how many times they visited the front desk their sugar fix was satisfied. On our last night they even arranged to order us Chinese, the food was excellent and very large serves too. The hotel also were more than happy to accept a package prior to our arrival and had it ready at reception for our collection. Thank you Magic Castle, we will most definitely recommend you to all.

1  Thank Mandy W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,155)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is one of life’s big mysteries: HOW can this hotel be placed as the number 1 in ALL of Los Angeles?
I do not get it? Out of a total of 1805 people – 1275 has rated this as excellent – Normally I trust Tripadvisor reviews very much and when booking this hotel, I properly did not look at the bad reviews enough, because I thought that so many people cannot be wrong.
To start with the positive: Location is good, a 5 minute from “walk of fame” in the middle of Hollywood.
Another very positive thing: Staff was very helpful.
If this is all you need to rate a hotel as Excellent – this is the hotel for you.
For me, this is not enough to rate a hotel as excellent, the following was missing:
I would like a clean room, maybe it was, but it did not feel like it. The room we got was old, dusty and the carpet dirty/stained.
Front door had a fairly big gap between frame and door and no extra lock, this did not feel secure to me.
Noise from the street, we tried to change room, but were told this was not possible as we were a family of 5, so nothing big enough left for us.
This hotel needs a big renovation.
I was very much looking forward to staying at this hotel as it had so high rating on Tripadvisor, so I was very disappointed to find out this was just an old dusty hotel with a great location.
I will never stay again and I will not recommend this to anyone.

6  Thank olchju
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Olchju,

Thank you for writing about your experience. I was very sorry to read that you traveled all the way from Luxembourg and didn't enjoy your room at our hotel. I know exactly which room this is and we've reviewed our housekeeping records. This room was set aside for a "deep clean" on April 9th. That stain you refer to is gone and I'm so sorry it was there for your stay. We have an aggressive carpet cleaning rotation at the hotel and frequently replace carpet as needed. Although you stated that maybe the room was clean, but didn't "feel" clean, we take responsibility for that. It should "feel" clean too.

With regard to security and your door not having an extra lock. Your door is of course automatically locked from the outside, but also has a deadbolt for added security. The main door to the hotel lobby is locked at night and is accessible by room key. Our front desk is staffed 24 hours a day along with a security officer at the hotel every night. Guest safety is extremely important to us.

You stated how many people have reviewed our hotel as "excellent" and are surprised by it. Many of the reviews rated as "excellent" do mention that this is not a 5-star hotel. Contributors often state that it's an older building and not to expect luxury. This is usually balanced with comments on our unusual approach to service. Our guests are generally are very pleased and even enthusiastic about the service and overall experience with us.

We would have happily moved you to another room, had we had one available. The specific room type you had is one of only five. This was a 1-Bedroom Suite with two beds in the bedroom. We really want to make every guest extremely happy. I promise we would have moved you if we could.

I know you mentioned that you would never return, however I would love for you to return so I can personally see that you have a better experience. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

this place isn't LA's fanciest or prettiest. It doesn't even have the best pool but it is Definitely the best in Hollywood. The staff here go beyond what would be reasonable to ensure guest comfort. there are free DVD's at the reception as well as free snacks and soft drinks whenever you want them. Breakfast is a full on event and is also free. There is a happy vibe to this place that is infectious. Our room was one of the smallest because we booked last minute, but even though it was small it has all we needed including a fridge and coffee maker. the toiletries provided are very indulgent and a nice surprise. some of the rooms have kitchens and are more like apartments. the balcony rooms are wonderful and I will book one of those next time. The location is wonderful for everything hollywood is on the doorstep. it is exactly 2 minutes walk to the wonderful Hollywood and vine center and hollywood Boulevard.
This Hotel has a real retro Hollywood style and it feels like what it might be like to live in a Hollywood apartment complex right on the door step to all the action.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

WOW! I'm so glad you loved it so much. The free snacks and soft drinks are definitely a hit, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Please let me know the next time you want to book a room.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The staff at check in were extremely friendly and helped us with everything we needed. The room was spacious and clean with a large living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The breakfast selection was limited however what they did have was more than sufficient to fill you up. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the Hollywood walk of fame, Graumans Chinese theatre and Dolby theatre and is only a short drive to Griffith park and observatory.
We would definitely stay here again !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights with my boyfriend. We arrived having travelled 17 hours from Dublin and the staff were so welcoming. They helped us with our bags, asked us about our plans for our stay and made some great recommendations. We were given a map of the area and they highlighted places they thought we'd like and also gave us a list of bars sorted by area.

The breakfast was ideal - toast/cereal/tea/coffee and fresh pastries. Also the free snacks are a nice touch as well as the dvds they offer.

The room was nice and had a safe, fridge and nice big gowns in the wardrobe. The location is pretty great too! Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank tinytonge

Thank you so much for writing a review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel so much. Please come see us again. I'm happy you liked the breakfast, snacks, and movies.

Thanks again.

Sincerely

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The building was converted, some time ago, from an apartment house to a hotel. With 3 adults, as an apartment our suite would have seemed small but, as a place to stay for several days in the heart of Los Angeles, it seemed downright luxurious. But it's the staff that made the experience outstanding. They were friendly and helpful from the moment we stepped into the lobby. Plus .. a real kitchen! While we mostly ate out, we were very happy to be able to cook a meal or two and just relax.

Room Tip: We wound up on the top floor and, while I wouldn't have chosen that myself, it turned out to be...
1  Thank AG1593
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My friends and I stayed here this past week. I cannot say enough good things about it. Customer service, room layout and location could not have been any better. Nick and Monica at the front desk were incredibly welcoming when we arrived. The rest of the staff was superb as well when it came to using onsite facilities and getting us a ride to the airport. Overall, an exceptional hotel with amazing employees. I will definitely stay here when I come back to L.A. as I can't imagine having a better experience anywhere else.

Room Tip: The suites are incredible. They are apartment-sized and offer everything you could need.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends