“Magic!”

Ranked #1 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brisbane, Australia
“Magic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel as a result of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed!

This is NOT a Five Star hotel. If you want a business centre, gym, and grandiose foyer with obsequious staff, stay somewhere else.

The two-bedroom poolside suite (with full kitchen) was perfect for our needs. It was clean, spacious and quiet. A couple of weeks before our visit, I emailed the hotel requesting a foldout bed as my nephew (down from Canada) was staying with us for one night. One was provided at no extra charge.

Our suite had a full kitchen, and there is a great grocery store only five minutes away. Laundry is done free of charge! Snacks are free! The pool is checked and cleaned every morning.

Stay at the Magic Castle Hotel for its location, and quite possibly the best service I've ever experienced!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank BrendanPage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed here in July with our 2 kids ages 10 and 5 for 3 nights at the end of a month long holiday staying at 6 different hotels, and what can I say...this place was the best accommodation of all, actually the best we have ever stayed in anywhere. Right from word go we were made to feel very welcome, greeted by Nick at the front desk who couldn't do enough for us, complimentary drinks upon our arrival which we all enjoyed while Nick informed us of all the hotel amenities etc, Kids loved the free snacks and movies, was great winding down at night with a free movie and popcorn.Free WiFi (that actually stays connected and works) robes, slippers, mints left on bed for us every day,daily newspaper delivered, delicious free breakfast, I could go on and on, this place to me was just perfect. The pool was fantastic, there were life jackets for the kids to use as well as balls to play with in the pool, my kids didn't want to leave this place, neither did we! The room we had was awesome , very clean and spacious , the beds were so very comfortable too. Just loved this place immensely, loved the spotless courtyard, it was very quiet too. The welcoming staff made our experience here all the better, they all seem to truly love working there, and all did an excellent job in making us feel like 'special' guests, I would highly recommend this place to anyone, and my family and I can't wait to go back there and stay longer next time. Thanks Magic Castle Staff for making our stay with you so enjoyable, particularly
Nick M who we dealt with the most, you guy's rock!

Room Tip: We had room 101,fantastic room and had no problems whatsoever.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Vickie B
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have had the most fantastic experience staying at this hotel. Our room is actually a one bedroom suite including a lounge, kitchen area & balcony. From the time we arrived til the the time we left we have had excellent service. The staff are so helpful, friendly & obliging & cannot do enough for you. There are free nibblies & softdrinks available at any time from the front desk & our laundry was cleaned free of charge also. Would I stay here again? Definitely!!!! I would say that if you have a problem with stairs request a ground level room.

Room Tip: Higher floors overlook the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lesm914
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in July and had a great time! We've stayed in many 5 star hotels across the world and I can honestly say that the customer service at The Magic Hotel was on parr, and exceeded most of them.
Due to driving from Las Vegas we arrived at the hotel at 11:00am, much earlier than the 3:00pm check in time but we were still greeted with a warm welcome and helped with our bags. We had booked a standard double room but as our room wasn't ready when we arrived, we were upgraded to a really roomy suite free of charge which was ready!! The room had two large beds, bathroom with a bath and shower, a full kitchen and dining table (see photos). The room was spotlessly clean and also had built in mirrored wardrobes with a safe. The reception staff were amazing and a great help during our short stay, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. The reception staff arranged our tour of L.A with LA City Tours (highly recommended!) within 10 minutes of us arriving which was really appreciated. The bus picked us up for the tour within 30 minutes so it was timed perfectly. The hotel in general is clean and comfortable, and not too overwhelming. It has a very homely feel and a lovely heated swimming pool too. The breakfast was great and included cereals, toast, and tasty muffins from a local bakery. The hotel also very kindly have a list of drinks and snacks which are complimentary! It was also a nice touch that the Manager took the time at breakfast to ask each group of guests individually about their stay and asked if there's anything more that he could do to make the stay as enjoyable as possible. That is brilliant customer service! Also the location is perfect if you want to explore Hollywood in particular, the hotel is literally one street away from the Walk of Fame, Graumans Chinese Theatre etc, not even 5 minutes walking distance away. Overall we had a fantastic stay and if I ever return to L.A. I wouldn't stay anywhere other than here.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank RainbowSal
Gingin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We (family of 4 - Mum, Dad, Mr 10, Miss 6) stayed here for 3 nights in June 2014, after a fairly generic stay in Anaheim (as a hotel customer by numbers).

As soon as we arrived, the difference in attitude was a welcome relief - the kids were immediately engaged with Nick at the front desk, who probably should be working on a kids TV show somewhere. All the staff were friendly and could not do enough to help with anything during our stay and the location is a 5 minute walk to Hollywood Boulevard. It's obviously an older building, however has been renovated very well. Would definitely stay here again with the kids...

Pros - Staff friendliness, free snacks for the kids (yes, I know it's costed in the rate), swimming pool, large kitchen in the apartment, location to Hollywood Boulevard, weather advice for the next day delivered to the door, free clothes washing service

Cons - Loud air conditioner, noise from the road (we did have an apartment roadside), we booked the advertised (front desk sign) airport shuttle for an 0800 departure - it did not arrive until 0830 with no apology when it did arrive (can only guess being late for it is standard - give it a miss)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not road side...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gary05021968
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hello and thank you for writing about your experience.
I just want to clarify something for any readers out there. We do not have a front desk sign advertising transportation. There are a few companies we use and will recommend based on the specific needs of our guests, and of course we will book it for our guests. We have no affiliation with these outside companies other than us using those who serve our guests best.. That said, we should have apologized for your transportation being late, seeing that it us recommending it. I am sorry for that. I would love to know which company was used if you don't mind.
I'm glad you did like so many things about the hotel. Yes....the free laundry service is pretty special. Please come back and see us soon.

Darren Ross
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

What a fantastic place to stay in the centre of Hollywood. Beautifully positioned just minutes from Hollywood boulevard .The rooms where large with cooking facilities and everything you need to rest and relax.The staff are surely the biggest asset for this Hotel ,they couldn't do enough to help us enjoy our stay ,even making up lunch packs for our day trips!. (don't forget the Free Wi-Fi which my kids loved)They seem to have a few Aussies staying there so I can only assume they have all heard how good it is.Well done!!

Room Tip: Any room is good they all face the pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you very much for writing about your experience. I'm so happy you enjoyed it as much as you did!
Please come see us again soon.

Sincerely
Darren Ross
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Ok, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to accommodation but that said I will try anything at least once so I can make an informed decision. I had read so many reviews about this property so was very keen to check it out.

The location in Hollywood is perfect - so close to everything and as I like to walk it suited my needs.

I cannot compliment the hotel staff highly enough. More often than not so many business' do not realise that their staff are their best assets. At Magic Castle every staff member we came across was professional, helpful and most importantly genuinely friendly. We adored them all. Gretchen, you have an amazing team at Magic Castle Hotel - your staff really are the ones who make the magic happen by ensuring their guests are well looked after. Congratulations! Sadly, it's not often I have such high praise for staff who work in customer service roles as unfortunately many of them are just there for the money with no or little interest in customer service at all but I am so pleased to say at Magic Castle this was not the case. We felt like Princess' every day.

Continental breakfast every day was substancial and it was lovely to enjoy this around the pool area and chat with other guests as well. Our room was a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 queen size beds in the bedroom so plenty of room for us to have time to ourselves without getting underneath each others feet.

If I had to be picky my only suggestion would be regrout the bathroom and do it up entirely. It was very outdated and a bit on the tacky side (yes I did wear my flip flops in the shower the first night). I do think the cleanliness of the place was up to scratch and house keeping did a fine job it was just because the bathroom was so old it gave the appearance of not being clean but again that's just the germaphob in me coming out and yes I did give it a wipe down with my antibacterial wipes as well but honestly there are so many other positives for staying at this hotel such as the unlimited supply of snacks and who can forget the fresh, cold and welcoming cucumber water we could help ourselves to each day. There is also a laundry service but we only found out about that the day of departure when we overheard check in staff telling new guests. We didn't utilise the pool but many other guests did and were really enjoying themselves.

Whilst there are no elevators the night we arrived a lovely gentleman helped us with our bags to our rooms. For the time we were in house we did not experience staff being unhelpful, in fact they went out of their way to be as courteous as possible and we thoroughly loved our stay and would come back again. Thank you so much Monica, Nick, Bri, Kevin, Gretchen and all the team for making us feel so welcomed :0)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends