“Good Service but Noisy location”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Jose, California
“Good Service but Noisy location”
Reviewed 5 November 2005

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for 3 nights in October 2005. The reason that we picked this hotel was to have a kitchen and be close to our destination - Universal Studios.

As previously stated in all of the other reviews, the crown jewel of this hotel is the very good service given by the young staff.

Also previously stated, the layout of the hotel is as the set of the Melrose Place TV show. All of the rooms surround a small courtyard with a small pool in the middle. No elevators, just stairways.

The rooms themselves are reasonably sized for a suite-type hotel. They have been recently renovated, but not particularly well. In our room, the bathroom door didn't shut properly and the baseboards were already peeling. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, utensils, etc. Besides the TVs, there was also a small stereo system in the living room and a DVD player - nice. The sofa bed was not comfortable as the mattress wasn't well supported to the metal frame. A nice feature is that they use down comforters instead of regular blankets. Of special note, was the great water pressure in the shower. It was like standing underneath a giant waterfall!

The continental breakfast is good, not great. As previously mentioned the baked goods were above average.

Parking is $8/day for the small gated garage. The garage is a little tight, but we didn't have problems finding a spot every night.

The main reason that I'm only giving an average rating was the level of night-time noise. The walls are pretty thin. Eventhough the location of our room was supposedly one of the more quiet sections, there was much traffic and weekend-partying noise until 2am. Of course, this isn't solely the hotel's fault, but rather the nature of their location - 1 block away from the night-life hub of Hollywood and Highland.

On the plus side for the location:
a) the hotel is a 4 minute walk from Grauman's Chinese theater
b) we took the metro to Universal Studios, which was another 2 minute walk from the Chinese theater

Here's an example of the good service:
One of the female staff asked me if I slept well when I went to get breakfast and I complained about the noise. She purchased some ear plugs for us, and the plugs did help somewhat. In general, the staff is pretty attentive and helpful.

For me, the good service and other perks didn't overcome the fact that it's an older building without good sound-proofing.

4 Thank DavidLau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 4 November 2005

I had an excellent time at this hotel, it was actually my second stay there and now the only place I will stay when vising in LA which I travel to apprx 4 times a year on business.

The service is excellent, the staff are extremely helpful and lovely. The rooms are apartment suites and therefore very spacious and great value for money. The hotel has recently undergone refurbishment so everything is in good condition.

Location is a real plus, particularly as I am a single female traveller, shops and restaurants are in walking distance and the area feels very safe.

A big bonus for me is the WIFI in all the rooms which is complimentary, this works impeccably which is a necessity for me and my work.

I have and would advise anyone travelling to LA who needs to be located in or near the West Hollywood area to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Derby
Reviewed 4 November 2005

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of October this year and only picked this hotel through the views of the people on this site. I have to agree that the staff were brilliant, howevere this did not mitigate the fact the first 1 bedroom suite we were allocated was appalling, suite 219, insect screen had fallen off, the kitchen work sufaces were cracked and it looked like the kichen had not been replaced since the 50's. The bathroom was not much better, again cracked tiles, the shower screen, I am guessing was meant to be clear glass, however this had turned to a disgusting limescales opaque colour.
We complained and were moved to an alternative suite. This at first seemed very pleasent until closer inspection. The bath had not been sealed properly, which had led to the floor rotting away in the bathroom and the hallway. For no one to have said anything before we arrived was hard to believe, but when we pointed it out it was temporarly rectified.
In conclusion, stay at this hotel if you don't have high expectations and would like great service.

8 Thank Truth19
, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2005
Thank you very much for writing a review on TripAdvisor. Your satisfaction at Magic Castle Hotel is 100% guaranteed. Please contact me so we can make this right. The problem with the leaking bath, which caused a small circle of wood outside the bath to warp, has since been 100% fixed and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. As for the first room you were in, 219, we are fixing the tile in both the kitchen and the bathroom. I personally inspected the shower door in this room and found a brilliantly clear and clean glass door.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service from our staff.

We take all of our guests' comments very seriously and your input will only help us to improve. Thank you.
Portland OR
Reviewed 31 October 2005

I thought the Magic Castle was a good value. The staff was exceptional - each person we dealt with took extra time to suggest good restaurants or things to do, and also helped us with transportation, reservations, etc. It made the difference for the hotel in general, which could use a little updating: ie) the carpets should be cleaned. The bed was very comfortable, and our room was spacious and clean. The kitchenette is a definite asset. We (on the 1st floor) didn't notice many problems with noise. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed October 2005
3 Thank NmbrsGirl
Reviewed 31 October 2005

I had chosen this hotel totally on the back of reading reviews on tripadvisor. When you are working to a budget, you want absolutely everything for the best price. I had asked for a view of the pool before our stay and the staff were lovely about this.. We had only booked a double which dont have balconies but they gave us the only room with a huge window overlooking the pool which looks lovely at night which is all I had really wanted having seen the pictures on the internet beforehand. We could just see the Club twinkling opposite above the other rooms. We were a bit unsure about how safe we were in LA so we decided to order takeaway to our room both nights. Despite asking lots of questions about how to go about this, the staff were always pleased to give advice and offer us menus to look at. I have to say that both meals were absolutely wonderful. I was a bit disappointed with the room I guess as it had no bedside lamps which meant that you had to get out of bed to turn the light off and also despite having items to make coffee, no coffee machine??? The thing which I found most difficult however was the noise. I am from the country in Lincolnshire and am used to quiet at night but there was a constant hum all of the time - we guessed from the pool. But on top of this, the fridge was also very loud and our neighbours decided it was a good idea to play their TV very loud until about 3 in the morning not considering other guests at all. This is of course our honest opinion and wouldn't want to put other people off from using what is a lovely hotel in a great location, with great staff and secure parking (small charge). Not it isn't 5 star but then it doesn't claim to be!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle
Reviewed 25 October 2005

We just got back from a three night stay at the Magic Castle. My feelings about this hotel are very mixed. On the one hand, the location was fantastic - it really IS one block behind Grauman's Chinese Theater, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Hollywood Blvd, and very near the Hollywood Bowl.

We paid over $1000 for three nights' stay. That included $8 a night parking and over $40 a night in taxes. I had told them on the phone that I was travelling with my mother who can't walk very well, and they said they'd do what they could but when we arrived we were put in the far outside building, up quite a lot of stairs. This required walking across a sloped and often slippery driveway as well as two flights of stairs. When we got to the room, it was huge, which was nice. Two separate bedrooms and an uncomfortable fold out couch in the living room (there were 3 of us), as well as a nice kitchen. But no balcony, no view of the pool, and the street we faced (Franklin) was NOISY - the traffic was horrendous, loud, constant honking and loud stereos until 3 in the morning every night. If you seal the windows and turn on the air conditioning it's tolerable but just barely. There was a musty smell to the room, and none of the remotes worked. Three tvs and not one remote worked. They did come up and fix that when we called down. The furnishings and carpet were serviceable but not as nice as the pictures on the website would lead you to believe.

The breakfast was nice - Wolfgang Puck coffee and nice pastries, cereals and some little fruits. The staff is the best part of this hotel - friendly, helpful and very knowledgable. Shawn was the best, and Gretchen was nice too but they were very busy with what seemed to be more important guests than us, and we didn't feel particularly special.

I would stay there again, but would demand better accomodations for the premium price we paid. If you want location, there's no better one for Hollywood. But if you want a quiet night's sleep there might be better places.

3 Thank VisitorTraveller
Reviewed 25 October 2005

We stayed there totally on TripAdvisor reviews. Big mistake. The staff IS very friendly and helpful, so if that is what you are interested in, go ahead and stay there. Our room (not a suite) was about the size of my bathroom at home. It was badly in need of paint and maintenance. (especially the bathroom) Our bed was like a rock. Would not stay there again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member