“Make sure you get a good room!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Liverpool
“Make sure you get a good room!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

The mixed reviews on this hotel are confusing but completely understandable if you have actually stayed at the Magic Castle.

I think part of this might depend on which room you stay in, having booked this hotel some time ago I was surprised to read today that some of the rooms have been refurbished and redecorated as ours wasn't. A new kitchen and bathroom probably would have increased my impressions considerably, unfortunately knowing this was one of our 'budget' choices we didn't think to request another room

The breakfast is different and very good, unless you are like my husband who insists on meat at every meal!

We had a one-bedroom suite and this was very large and well-equipped although I wouldn't have enjoyed cooking as the kitchen was just too old. It is also as everyone has said very noisy.

I have to say this as well, although I have tried not to judge the hotel as its location is good for Universal and the Chinese Theater. However I would not recommend Hollywood for LA virgins its just not a nice area, and as this hotel seems to be recommended for families I can only presume that they would be driving everywhere during their stay. We were recommended to stay closer to the beaches and if we go to LA again this is what we will do.

• Stayed November 2005
11 Thank scooby007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

We stayed at the Magic Castle for 3 nights in Oct 2005 – we only chose this hotel because of the continual positive reviews we had read and we were not disappointed.

From the moment we checked in we were made to feel welcome – helped us with our bags before we got in the door - offered us each a complimentary bottle of water – gave us a good run through what the hotel and surrounding areas had to offer – basically offered to help with anything we needed.

We did have some problems with accessing the internet in our room and they came straight in and sorted it out.

The accommodation was very spacious with a separate bedroom and living room and kitchen. The location is one street back from Hollywood Boulevard and only a couple of miles from Universal Studios.

Have to say a big thanks to Shawn and the rest of the staff for a really enjoyable stay.

4 Thank Cartman88
Davis, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2005

Stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel last week and it was terrific. Just like having an apartment in L.A. We felt very comfortable there - just like we were home. Who wants to go on vacation and not feel relaxed? - that's what the Magic Castle is - home away from home. Big comfy one-bedroom - plenty of room for us and the two kids. The beds are like heaven and we enjoyed breakfast poolside. Also loved taking the Metro to Universal - Needed the car very little. Great staff -always a smile and more help than you asked for. Its definitely "our place in L.A."

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank AnnaferDavis_CA
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2005

I loved the Magic Castle Hotel! This was our third time in LA, and on my previous two visits, we stayed at the five-star Park Hotel. This time we were traveling with children, and I was a little leary because I made my seven day reservation based soley on the reviews on this site. Turns out, I enjoyed the Magic Castle above the five star hotel. First and foremost, the staff is exceptional, from the front desk to the maintenance staff. Anytime we needed anything, we simply picked up the phone and it was delievered immediately to our door: extra pillows and towels, DVD's, even take-out menus when we inquired about suggestions for the best Asian take out. One morning we decided to drive to Malibu, and I stopped by the front desk to ask for directions. I was provided with several maps, driving directions, and even great recommendations for the best restaurants along the way. We were even told which beaches were the most scenic/ secluded. We all loved the daily breakfast, which is not your typical run-of-the-mill continental breakfast. The coffee, scones, and croissants were fabulous. My son loved the chocolate chip scones. The woman who assisted with breakfast remembered my son every morning, and would save his favorite scones for him. In fact, on the morning we checked out, she sent us off with a couple of scones for a snack on the plane. In addition, we would return every evening after a long day of amusement parks, tours, or shopping to the turn down service. Not only were our beds turned down and candy left by the bedside, but also the CD player was on and tuned to classical music and tomorrow's weather forecast was left on our bed table. Second, our room offered plenty of space. We stayed in a two-bedroom for 7 days. The was plenty of room for myself and my husband, my parents, and my two children, ages 7 and 9. Each of the two bedrooms housed a king-size bed with a down comforter, mirror closet doors, beautiful lamps, bed side tables, and a large dresser. The children slept on a comfortable queen-size pull out sofa in the living room. The entire apartment appeared to be newly renovated, with whimsical modern furniture (very IKEA). The bathroom was completely new, with a beautiful glass shower, plenty of mirrors, and track lights above the vanity. There was also tons of closet space, with large closets in both bedrooms and another large sliding door closet (see picture) and additional drawers/ shelves to store the kids stuff in the hallway. We enjoyed afternoons at the pool, with frequent popsicles and spa-like facial cloths. There is also an inexpensive laundry right on site. I used the free pass to the full size gym 4 or 5 times. The gym is a short walk away (about 3 blocks) and they have great music, plenty of machines and TV's, and free parking. The gym was never crowded, which surprised me for LA! Furthermore, the hotel is close to everything in Hollywood. It is a two block walk from Hollywood & Highland, where you can find the Kodak Theatre (where the Grammys are held), the Chinese Theatre, the Hollywood mall (Starbucks, Lucky Brand, Victoria's Secret, Build a Bear, and tons of other stores and restaurants), and Hollywood tours depart all day. The subway also stops at Hollywood and Highland, and you can take it 1 or 2 stops to Universal Studios. If you are considering renting a car, you honestly will not need it for everyday of your trip if you plan to do the Hollywood thing. You will only need it for longer drives, like up the coast or driving through West Hollywood/ Beverly Hills. Finally, we did experience a minor issue with our accomodations, and when we brought it to the attention of the manager, he was most apologetic and gracious, and addressed the situation beyond our expectations. All in all, this is a great place to stay, particularly with children or a group. When I return to LA, this is the only place I would consider staying. Thanks again. PS- I apologize if lighting is off in pictues, they were taken with camera phone.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank kikamoose
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2005

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for 3 nights in October 2005. The reason that we picked this hotel was to have a kitchen and be close to our destination - Universal Studios.

As previously stated in all of the other reviews, the crown jewel of this hotel is the very good service given by the young staff.

Also previously stated, the layout of the hotel is as the set of the Melrose Place TV show. All of the rooms surround a small courtyard with a small pool in the middle. No elevators, just stairways.

The rooms themselves are reasonably sized for a suite-type hotel. They have been recently renovated, but not particularly well. In our room, the bathroom door didn't shut properly and the baseboards were already peeling. The kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, utensils, etc. Besides the TVs, there was also a small stereo system in the living room and a DVD player - nice. The sofa bed was not comfortable as the mattress wasn't well supported to the metal frame. A nice feature is that they use down comforters instead of regular blankets. Of special note, was the great water pressure in the shower. It was like standing underneath a giant waterfall!

The continental breakfast is good, not great. As previously mentioned the baked goods were above average.

Parking is $8/day for the small gated garage. The garage is a little tight, but we didn't have problems finding a spot every night.

The main reason that I'm only giving an average rating was the level of night-time noise. The walls are pretty thin. Eventhough the location of our room was supposedly one of the more quiet sections, there was much traffic and weekend-partying noise until 2am. Of course, this isn't solely the hotel's fault, but rather the nature of their location - 1 block away from the night-life hub of Hollywood and Highland.

On the plus side for the location:
a) the hotel is a 4 minute walk from Grauman's Chinese theater
b) we took the metro to Universal Studios, which was another 2 minute walk from the Chinese theater

Here's an example of the good service:
One of the female staff asked me if I slept well when I went to get breakfast and I complained about the noise. She purchased some ear plugs for us, and the plugs did help somewhat. In general, the staff is pretty attentive and helpful.

For me, the good service and other perks didn't overcome the fact that it's an older building without good sound-proofing.

4 Thank DavidLau
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

I had an excellent time at this hotel, it was actually my second stay there and now the only place I will stay when vising in LA which I travel to apprx 4 times a year on business.

The service is excellent, the staff are extremely helpful and lovely. The rooms are apartment suites and therefore very spacious and great value for money. The hotel has recently undergone refurbishment so everything is in good condition.

Location is a real plus, particularly as I am a single female traveller, shops and restaurants are in walking distance and the area feels very safe.

A big bonus for me is the WIFI in all the rooms which is complimentary, this works impeccably which is a necessity for me and my work.

I have and would advise anyone travelling to LA who needs to be located in or near the West Hollywood area to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Derby
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

We stayed for 3 nights at the end of October this year and only picked this hotel through the views of the people on this site. I have to agree that the staff were brilliant, howevere this did not mitigate the fact the first 1 bedroom suite we were allocated was appalling, suite 219, insect screen had fallen off, the kitchen work sufaces were cracked and it looked like the kichen had not been replaced since the 50's. The bathroom was not much better, again cracked tiles, the shower screen, I am guessing was meant to be clear glass, however this had turned to a disgusting limescales opaque colour.
We complained and were moved to an alternative suite. This at first seemed very pleasent until closer inspection. The bath had not been sealed properly, which had led to the floor rotting away in the bathroom and the hallway. For no one to have said anything before we arrived was hard to believe, but when we pointed it out it was temporarly rectified.
In conclusion, stay at this hotel if you don't have high expectations and would like great service.

8 Thank Truth19
, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2005
Thank you very much for writing a review on TripAdvisor. Your satisfaction at Magic Castle Hotel is 100% guaranteed. Please contact me so we can make this right. The problem with the leaking bath, which caused a small circle of wood outside the bath to warp, has since been 100% fixed and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. As for the first room you were in, 219, we are fixing the tile in both the kitchen and the bathroom. I personally inspected the shower door in this room and found a brilliantly clear and clean glass door.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the service from our staff.

We take all of our guests' comments very seriously and your input will only help us to improve. Thank you.