“Fabulous hotel in central location Los Angeles”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 357 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Stayed here with family of three children and husband. Loved how central it was to Hollywood Blvd and Hollywood attractions, such as Universal Studios! Walked to Hollywood Blvd which was only two blocks away. Universal Studios was a 10 minute drive in our rental car. We were lucky to witness the red carpet world premiere of Iron Man 2 on our last night there, right on Hollywood Blvd! Service was outstanding, the kids loved the complimentary snacks! The staff was very friendly and made sure we had a cot set up as soon as it was available. They had a little birthday cake for my son's birthday, which he absolutely loved! We truly felt like VIP guests at this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,185)

Reviewed 7 May 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Magic Castle. Every staff member we encountered over our five day stay was super friendly and helpful. And we loved all the little extras they provided: a nice, basic continental breakfast we could take to our room, mints on every bed in the suite, complimentary snacks and soft drinks and movies from the front desk, etc. Location was perfect, only a 5 minute walk from Hollywood Boulevard, yet far enough away to not hear traffic noise. Our suite felt more like an apartment, and it was wonderful having our own kitchen and dining room. A great value for what we paid, and we would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful experience with Magic Castel Hotel. Not only was we greeted with a warm and welcoming smile but with a glass of lemonade. This was just the beginning of the hospitality that this hotel done. Once we arrived in our room, it was exactly what we expected from the internent. We had a one bedroom suite (215). This suite was very spacious and clean. We had a full kitchen with utensils, coffee pot, coffee and a welcoming surprise from the hotel for our 29th anniversary. They had left us with a bottle of wine, candy and a card wishes us the best while we celebrated. The pool was clean and warm. The location of this hotel was super. We were able to walk about a block and half and was right on Hollywood Blvd. Which was Super!!!!! The continental breakfast with the fresh bake scones was nice. The staff at Magic Castel Hotel seemed like they could not do enough for you. They always greeted you with a smile and wanted to know how your day was and if you needed anything just give them a call and they would bring it up to you. They booked reservation for us to site see, booked our pickup to the airport and even printed out our boarding pass. Shan an employee there was a lifesaver for us. This was our first trip to Hollywood and he was able to help us greatly. Not only did we enjoy the free snacks, hot apple cider but it was super nice and unexpected to come back to hotel at night to see that our bed was turn down with candy and music playing. David was super!!!! This visit at this hotel was like going to stay with relatives. It felt like home away from home. Thanks to you all at Magic Castel Hotel for making our first trip to Hollywood a wonderful experience. If and when we ever get to go back we will definetly stay with our relatives at Magic Castel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

The people were friendly, helpful, and energetic to please - personnel were as good as I have ever seen -

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I had the best experience staying at the magic castle hotel. Everyone that works there is incredibly nice and personable, and my friends and I were upgraded to a larger room with a better view as soon as we checked in. They also have cookies and any other snacks and drinks you want available for free in the lobby at all times. I had four girls total staying, and that one room was more than large enough for all of us to have plenty of space. We also had a large balcony and an amazing view of the Hollywood Hills. Every morning someone would come and deliver our complimentary breakfast to our room along with whatever juices we wanted, it was such a great day to get our day started. We also had our own parking spot for only 10$ per day/night, which is incredible for Hollywood. I have zero complaints about the hotel, everything was perfect and for the price, it is almost ridiculous. I love the Magic Castle and have had all my friends stay there since my first trip. I'm coming back to the area in a month and already have the hotel booked :) And the staff is as good as it gets anywhere. Loved them.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank christinap92
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Several years ago I spent 4 great nights at Magic Castle in a 1 bed suite so was very much looking forward to our return visit. This time we spent 8 nights at the property and stayed in a 2 bed suite. There is still much to like; the location is great for all the LA attractions and the staff are still really amazing and very helpful.
However, our 2 bed suite was a disappointment. Many of the cheaper 1 bed suites have balconies, the more expensive ($350 per night!) 2 beds don't. As a result of its position the suite was always dark and never got direct sunlight. And while the public areas (and in particular the pool and lobby) remain in good condition it just felt like it was getting shabby.

There were signs of shabbiness in all the rooms but the large bedroom in particular where my wife and I slept just had an unacceptable amount of knocks and scuff marks everywhere. A bodged repair paint job on the AC unit had been done which looked horrible and there were some (minor) stains on the door (see photos). Obviously it is not realistic to expect a hotel to repaint walls every time a guest scuffs the walls, but this room was WAY overdue for redecoration. At the very least, a member of staff should have been in the room wiping down the walls with a bucket and sponge to clean the doors/walls to make it look less grubby.
I did mention this (twice) to the front desk and they promised to pass it on to maintenance but they did not want to come see the issues for themselves (it felt like my complaint was not news to them) and nothing improved in my remaining 6 nights in the hotel.

I hope the hotel are not trying to milk their reputation by under investing in upkeep of the rooms. I can't recommend the 2 bed suites, particularly at the price Magic Castle now charge, and I would be cautious about going back to any of their rooms unless I had confidence that the room was in good decorative order.

So I'm sorry to say that in contrast to my 5/5 review the first time I stayed there, this time, and despite the great staff, it is only 3/5.

1  Thank Tony_No
Reviewed 22 April 2010

My Family of five had booked this hotel months in advance due to its great reviews on Trip advisor. No disrespect to Trip Adv as the rest of my USA holiday was based from its reviews on accommodation and local attractions were spot on, but this place left a very sour taste in our mouths in an otherwise great overseas holiday. We holidayed in Vegas, NYC, Tennessee, and (in the end, alternate LA accommodation) and this place was a disgrace!.

We arrived at about 3.30-4pm in the afternoon and (after struggling by ourselves with about 6 bags of our luggage up the stairs) were greeted by a polite young man and woman who greeted us with a glass of soda squash each.
We were informed that the room we requested with a roll away wasn't available, but they had organized a room with all our bedding requirements in their "sister apartments above the current hotel next to a Japanese restaurant". I asked if the rooms were of the same standards as the original rooms I viewed on the net, and she replied "oh yes but with a much more fantastic view". I thought OK until she said' and we will also drop your room rate back to $99 a night". And that's when the alarm bell started.

We were shuttled up the hill by the young man Marcus(who always I must say was polite through this) to a what looked liked a 'hostel" complex. He unloaded our luggage and pointed to a hallway which was partially blocked by bags of rubbish to venture down to find our room. By this time my family and I were extremely concerned, but after Marcus opened the door ushered us in and quickly departed we noticed our concern was more than warranted. This place was a disgrace. The tiles were chipped, stained, and where the tiles met the fridge there was a 1-2 inch gap full of dirt and grit. And this was at the kitchen near the entrance. The blinds were falling off the ceiling, paint peeling off the walls and veranda and numerous stains everywhere. I sat stunned, and I never complain as a rule but i was really ##** off at this point, and so I rang reception and said to Marcus, this room was not up to my expectations of this hotel and could I be moved back to my original booking at the previous hotel. He said"oh, i will ring you back". He then rang back and said" we have had some flooding in your original room that was booked and it is undergoing repairs, and if this current room isn't adequate I will give you assistance in finding another room at another hotel". I replied to Marcus, if this was the case why wasn't I contacted by phone or email, and sensing his nervousness, I asked when the flooding occurred, and his response was "I don't know". I then informed him that I had only booked this room from the reviews on Trip Advisor and only then he informed me he would ring and talk to his manager. He rang me back about five minutes later and said I could have a room in the original hotel the next night and they would comp my current room for that nights stay. I declined and asked him to find me alternate accommodation elsewhere. He could find nothing to my liking so a found accommodation elsewhere myself.

All up I felt humiliated that I was, I think duped of my original room, and told a falsity about the flooding, due to the fact that if a flooding had occurred that someone would have known when. Every other hotel I stayed in the states including my final hotel in LA
was above my expectations of room and service. This place was disgrace! AND SO WERE THE ROOMS. Ps I also spent almost two hundred dollars in peak our traffic from the airport, to this hotel and finally to my final destination in cabs and shuttle hire. I await with interest the managers reply, if any.

JCB.