“A bit disappointed”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 August 2007

We stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for 3 nights and were disappointed. This is the first time I've sent a review to tripadvisor, however I'm surprised it's ranked as number 2 in Tripadvisor's recommendations.
We found the room OK. The whole place needs a bit of a re-vamp. The rooms have carpets on the floors and they are quite dirty and need replacing. This is quite unhygenic we felt. Also, in the corridor areas, the carpets and really filthy. And paintwork is quite stained in places. Staff are OK, but don't dress in a professional manner- there's a general 'goth' theme to the dress of the staff.
The accommodation was quite expensive, and I felt the need to add my review as I don't feel this place is up to scratch.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank mary092

Reviewed 12 August 2007

Overall our experience at the Magic Castle Hotel was very good, and my two kids both said they wanted to come back - and I did not hear that comment about either of the other two hotels where we stayed in LA. This is a hotel with history and personality. It's not another Holiday Inn Express or whatever. It is also in the city, folks - yes, you will see homeless people, and yes, you will see interesting street life on Hollywood Boulevard. If that scares or upsets you, I would advise picking another area in which to sightsee. Hollywood may be undergoing some gentrification but it is not Disneyland. As everyone says, the front desk staff members go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied. I saw the manager all over the place all the time, not hiding back in an office. We had a king bed suite and the space was just huge. The kitchen and bathroom were very clean; I had no problem at all there. My favorite spot was the balcony over the pool, where you could sit and read the newspaper, watch the kids in the pool, or just drink your morning coffee before another day of sightseeing. Breakfast included the yummiest scones ever and top-notch coffee. Now, on the other hand, it is a remodeled older former apartment building and there are some irritants. The stairs and railings need paint, and some coverings on the stairs are coming loose. The carpet in the hallways is getting worn. There was a crack in the paint on one wall in our kitchen, and a small hole in a window. The stopper in the bathroom sink didn't work. Some of the housekeeping was a little spacey - plenty of forks and knives in the utensil drawer but no spoons, no glasses replaced one day, no bath mat another day. But if it really deeply mattered to me I am sure the desk would have sent up more spoons or another bath mat immediately. I think this is a great little hotel, and I'll be sad if it gets sold and turned into yet another condo development or generic hotel. The best option would be new owners who could spruce it up without raising the prices too much or losing the great staff members. Thanks again for a nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank daisygirl59
Reviewed 6 August 2007

My Husband and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Magic Castle Hotel in Los Angeles. We need to say that this is one of the BEST Hotels that we have ever stayed in ( in LA or in other countries). When we arrived we received a glass of ice cold lemonade, which was so welcome after a long journey.
The exeptional friendliness of the staff creates a warm and personal experience. You actually feel like old friends!!!!
All of the staff went out of their way to make any requests that we had, happen. The front desk staff (Big hugs to Daphne, Christen, Shawn and Adam), arranged restaurant bookings for us as well as ordering cabs. We celebrated our Birthdays while staying at the hotel and we recieved a bottle of wine and some goodies. A very nice personal touch!!
Our room was clean, comfortable and the bed was so lovely. It seemed huge!!! Fresh towels were provided everyday, if we so wished, and the shower was so powerful that it certainly woke us up in a morning.
There is a complimentary breakfast every morning in the courtyard. The scones are wonderful and the coffee was always hot, fresh and abundent.
The pool is attractive, clean and heated. Towels are provided by the hotel and there are pool toys available for the kids. Snacks and soft drinks are complimentary from the reception at any time of the day ( we have never known a Hotel do this), which is so nice if you want to lounge by the pool, watch a film in your room or you are just feeling a bit peckish.
We will certainly be returning to the hotel. It has so many assets. Not only is it friendly it is close to all amenities and feels safe and secure.
Tip...you have got to go to the Yamashiro restaurant. It provides some of the best views in LA... and the food and the staff are great. The Hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service to the restaurant and as a guest of the Hotel they will arrange the booking for you. Another nice touch!.
We had a perfect 2 week stay and have recommended the Magic Castle Hotel to our family and friends. Thanks for making our holiday special!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ward44
Reviewed 6 August 2007

Date: August 6, 2007
Reviewer: Kitchener, Ontario
My son and I stayed at the Magic Castle hotel from July 20 to 24. This hotel was on a list recommended by the school that my son was attending an open house for as it was only a 15 minute walk from the school. I thought the hotel would be bigger and was a little disappointed when we arrived. It reminded me of the show Melrose Place with the rooms all surrounding the pool. But the staff put us at ease the minute we arrived and the good thing about a smaller hotel is that the staff get to recoginize you very quickly and they also know who doesn't belong there. They were so friendly and greeted every time we walked by.My son and I had a one bedroom suite with dining area and kitchen and 2 queen beds that were very comfortable.The rooms were very clean and large. The shower was amazing as it had so much pressure that washing my hair was so easy. 45 minutes before we were checking out and our limo ( that the hotel had arranged for us) was to pick us up, I dropped a glass in the sink and it broke and I sliced my finger quite badly and I could not get the bleeding to stop. My son went down to the front desk and staff came to my aid and said I needed stitches and they would drive me to a local clinic. Panic set in as I was afraid we would miss our flight. The hotel manager drove me and my son to a clinic she goes to and that was 5 minutes from the hotel and when we arrived she explained my delimma. They saw me immediately and she waited in the waiting room for me and helped my son with all the paper work. 30 minutes later with 5 stitches in my finger we were on our way back to the hotel, were the limo driver had been contacted and asked to wait for us. He did and we were only 15 minutes off schedule and we made our flight with time to spare. I can't thank the management and hotel staff enough for taking care of me and keeping my son calm through this unusual event. I would recommend this hotel even if I didn't injure my finger and we will definately be staying there again when my son is attending school there.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Love_2_Travel233
Reviewed 3 August 2007

The Magic Castle is a quaint, small hotel (42 rooms I think) just steps off the Hollywood strip and within very short walking distance to the Chinese theater, Kodak theater, etc. Our family of 4 (kids: 15 and 11) stayed 4 nts in late July in a spacious 1-bedroom suite...more like a 1-bedroom apartment. Beds were cozy, climate control and wireless network (free) were reliable and cleanliness, impeccable. This is an older building and nothing fancy but nevertheless, clean, tastefully decorated and spacious.

As you have read from previous reviews, the most redeeming quality of this hotel is its Customer Service. Sort of a throwback, of sorts, to the hotels of old where customers were treated as royalty and where the entire staff are all on the "same page" when it comes to taking personal responsibilty for exceeding customer expectations. Very rarely do you find this prevailing attitude among staff in American hotels. The hotel offers free beverages, movies and snacks unlike most hotels that "nickel and dime" its customers to squeeze out every bit of profit imaginable. Here, they truley understand that their customers are their best advertisers.

Needless to say, we had a great time at the Magic Castle and overall we had a blast in Hollywood. Special thanks to Daphne Springs who went "above and beyond" to help make this a vacation we will never forget. We were sad to leave this place but look forward to returning.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank JamaicaPhil
Reviewed 2 August 2007

My family just got back from the Magic Castle in July. We were greeted with a warm welcome. The positives of this hotel were the unlimited free snacks and beverages and the directions to places from the front desk. My family thought the rooms were very outdated and kind of grungy, especially the bathrooms. The bathrooms had lots of chipped paint, and the bathtub barely drained. The rooms also had very old tvs. We decided to check out a day early because we were not satisfied with the room quality. They said it was fine and we wouldn't be charged. When we checked out we paid for the two nights we were there. I just got my credit card bill and we were charged $130 more than the amount from the receipt I had signed. Now I have to dispute it with the credit card company. This hotel is really no better than a Motel 8.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank milwaukee123
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Family of 5 (3 teenagers)- we stayed for 3 nights in this comfortable though basic hotel. very good sized suite, great breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff even though we arrived after midnight. Free minibar a great success. Very close, by car, to Venice beach and Universal studios and within walking distance of Kodak theatre and walk of fame. Would stay again.

Stayed: July 2007