“Visiting UCLA Student” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Naples, Florida
“Visiting UCLA Student”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Hotel is perfectly located if you are visiting a UCLA student. 5 minute drive to campus and Weyburn. Hotel is easy to get to & the staff is wonderful. Polite and very attentive. Front desk was more than helpful many times over. The guy who drives the shuttle is awesome and was very helpful in giving us pointers about LA. He saved us from roaming around campus looking like lost a couple of lost children!
The rooms are fine. Not top of the line but they were very clean. The AC was a bit loud, but it provided some good white noise for the night. The hallway noise was a bit challenging and we had to stuff a towel under our door to keep out the hallway conversation. We had a pool view room so noise from the highway was not an issue and we enjoyed the poolside fireplace in the evening.
The West was fine. Nice views and the food was fine. A little pricey for what you get, but so is LA! I will definitely stay here again and again. It is the best option for the area unless you want to stay at the W for $450 (we paid $270 including parking).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gerald D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear BrittPartyOfFour,

Thank you for the kind words! I will share them with our team. We will see you next time!

Best,

Ryan Boken
Front Office Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Finnish first
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you like a lot of traffic noise 24 hours a day then this hotel is for you. But it's not only the noise of traffic that drives you crazy and makes sleeping without earplugs impossible, they have the noisiest air conditioner of any hotel I have stayed in. I don't know whether they do this on purpose to hide the constant traffic noise, but it doesn't have any other effect other then irritating you further.
also the hotel is in nowhere's land, it takes $25 taxi fare one way to go to downtown LA. You cannot walk, as you are surrounded by an eight lane freeway. On the way home, we decided to rebook to another more expensive hotel, just to be able to sleep. It's a pity because the Staff are very friendly. AND NO I DO NOT COME FROM THE NORTH POLE!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gerald D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for providing feedback about your visit. I'm very sorry our hotel didn't meet your needs due to the noise created by the freeway and other items in your room. Please contact me for your next visit to Los Angeles and allow us the chance to provide a different, and much better, experience.
La Jolla, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My experience here between the staff, food and accommodation all deserves it's own rating:

Front desk ★★★★★
Restaurant service ★★★
Happy Hour ★★★★★
Restaurant value (dinner) ★
Room ★★★
Quiet/sleep quality ★
Decor ★★★★

The Staff
Upon arrival the front desk manager took wonderful care of myself and travel companions. She was simply outstanding. Truly. Some of her staff were not as helpful as she was handling our issues on check in, but she made up for it.

The Happy Hour / Dining Experience

They have a free wine reception for an hour each evening. Thumbs up! It's lovely.

After check in, a group of us went up for happy hour. West Restaurant has a fabulous view. That menu was a great price and the food was tasty. The drinks were good as well even though some drinks took 15 minutes to arrive when it was only our group in the restaurant and <5 people at the bar at the time. Our waitress was attentive enough to apologize for the delay and promise our items were forthcoming. Their hummus is especially delicious and they make the best tart lemon drop I've ever had. A great lace to meet for drinks & bites with friends. Two of us also ordered items off the diner menu and found them to be incredibly small for the price! One ordered a $30 scallop dinner and got TWO scallops on a bed of rice. Seriously?! I ordered a braised pork appetizer for $12 that was literally the size of 2 pieces of sushi roll when I received it. (Two pork medallions about the size of a 1/2" thick poker chip and thin potato cakes that resembled communion wafers with some fig chutney and radish greens.) It did not look like the photo in the restaurant poster at all, which was 3 thicker, larger pieces. Disappointing. The waitress said that the item changed and it would be one big 'slider' like presentation but it was not. I was dismayed at $6 per bite item and asked the lovely desk manager if this was how it was actually supposed to be. She was so helpful and was in agreement that it was not, as she had eaten it previously herself many times. After questioning their new chef, she did find that it was changed and offered to get a fresh order or a refund. I opted to take it anyway as I wanted a snack for the next day (although the portion size didn't really change). She even offered a freebie drink the next day but alas I was checking out at 5am. Once again, the service here outshines their product in my opinion. I wish I knew her name as she was FANTASTIC in her efforts to assist me. Unfortunately, I never did get to taste my order, as the mini fridge they sent up to my room didn't work. It sounded like it was running but didn't cool at all I found the next day. I had a few items with me from Whole Foods in my travel cooler and ALL of my items, including the tiny pork medallions, went unchilled all night long. Thus about $40 I had spent on food was wasted!

The 405 Noise & Room
I should have asked for a Church Lane side room when I got there as I'm sure they must be quieter. I thought it wouldn't be that bad. I could get over it. I was wrong. The reviewer from Manhattan may be able to tolerate traffic noise like that, but as a person who spends 12-15 nights per month in a hotel room (and doesn't hail from the North Pole), this was without a doubt the ☞ NOISIEST ROADWAY room I have EVER stayed in! ☜ I am not a person who sleeps well with white noise and cannot run the fan or air at night as the sound keeps me up. I prefer an open window when possible and this was simply out of the question. Even with the glass door closed, the noise was ridiculous loud. The bed was fairly comfortable for the most part, but the pillows were too overstuffed with foam fill. Like resting your head on a parking berm. I got a kink in my neck and barely got 4 hrs of rest after a fitful sleep between the big rigs air braking and the seemingly buzzed people below me talking out on their balcony at 2:30am. I could hear them even through the closed door and the traffic. The toilet upstairs can also be heard as they have quite a power flush. The rest of the room itself was cozy with nice decor and the in room amenities were standard. I suggest getting a king if at all possible for 2 persons as the 2 doubles are too tiny unless you each want a separate bed. Not a bad room but not Marriott or Sheraton, which has the best beds IMO.

The Pool
Didn't use it but it is nice. Lovely to sit outside on their patio furniture and have a drink. Did so while having a complimentary wine. Also has a fire pit. If I were there longer, I would have hung out there a bit.

Room Tip: Get a room from numbers 01-05 facing Church Lane for less freeway noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Gerald D, Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Trixie_Flygal,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay. I'm sorry for the service glitches you experienced during your visit but happy that Jennifer was able to assist you and make things better.

If you decide to give Hotel Angeleno another try, please contact me at gdotson@hotelangeleno. I'll make sure we have you in a quiet room and everything work correctly.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Came here for a PR gig. All around great hotel. I've read most of the reviews and it seems that most of the low star reviews are made by people who have trouble with the noise due to the 405 freeway... im guessing all of those guests must come from the north pole. I stayed on the 5th floor and i had no trouble with the noise what so ever. I'm from new york and this hotel is actually alot more quiet then most of the hotels in the big apple. I've also notice that a bellman named Skylar was mentioned in a good amount of reviews due to his recommendations and excellent service. I asked the front desk where i can find him and they directed me straight to him. I was craving some sushi. I specifically mentioned that i want the sushi so authentic that it were to seem as if i was in japan lol. He directed me to a place named Sushi Jen in Downtown LA and told me that if it wasnt what you are looking for, "i will personally buy you some chardonnay wine and bring it up to your room". and let me me tell you, he was right!.. BEST F****** SUSHI EVER. I came back to the hotel looking for Skylar and valet let me know he left 30 minutes ago. The next day Skylar wasnt working the morning shift so unfortuetly i couldnt thank him due to my flight leaving at 11am. I asked one of the employees what i can do to thank this young man and they recommended i use trip advisor. I hope management understands what a great asset this young man is. And again, GREAT HOTEL. IF YOU LIVE IN ANY POPULATED CITY, THIS HOTEL WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE! SEE YOU SOON ANGELNO!!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Gerald D, Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Manofmanhattannn,
Thank you providing this wonderful review about your experience at Hotel Angeleno. It's great to hear you had such a good time with us. Skyler is an amazing Bellmen with a lot of awesome information. I'm glad you were able to meet with him.

We will see you soon!
Northern California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great location, near many attractions, friendly staff. The best part for us was the free parking! Santa Monica was very close and had many fun things to do, including a boardwalk to Venice beach. Ready to go back!

Room Tip: The balconies are very small, not enough room for a chair.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Thank you Pinkpolkadotss!

I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel. Hopefully you get to visit West restaurant for an awesome meal, on the top floor and enjoy sometime at the pool.
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years and this year have experienced a noticeable decline in service with a couple of terrific exceptions. Ricky is an amazing creative bartender who mixes some wicked good drinks that are absolutely unique. He is funny, charming and knowledgeable which is a great combination in a bartended. Second shout out goes to Chris the shuttle driver. He goes above and beyond in making sure we got to our dinner and back to the hotel safe and sound and on the schedule we needed. They both deserve 5 stars but the hotel only gets 3 overall.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank interestedobserver
Hello Interestedobserver,

Thank you for shouting out the wonderful service you received from both Chris and Ricky. I agree with you, they both go out of their way to provide excellent service to our guests and are very friendly and knowledgeable.

If you have a chance, please contact me at gdotson@hotelangeleno.com. I would like to hear more feedback about some of the areas our service is lacking.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Service was great, travelled when it was bit chilly but lighting the fireplace outside and heat lamps made outdoor comfortable and enjoyable. Café limited in food selections, restaurant has more options but no food service is 24/7. Getty museum shuttle was very convenient. Great staff friendly and accommodating. Great location to access various LA neighborhoods.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jham_10
Gerald D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear jham_10,

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback from your recent stay! I'm curious to know what items you were looking for in the café, please email me when you have a moment. My address is rboken@hotelangeleno.com. Our front desk has access to the café after hours if anyone is craving a late night snack.

Thank you for the nice words about our staff! I will share them with our team. We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,