“Great Hotel”

Ranked #46 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Seattle, Washington
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My fiance and I visited LA for a friend's wedding and stayed at the Hotel Angeleno. My fiance and I enjoyed the pool area, and the fitness center. The coffee shop was convenient, and the restaurant was fantastic with great service. The front desk staff was very friendly: Ericka and Brynn were a great help. Overall, we were very pleased with the Hotel Angeleno. We will go back the next time we are in LA.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Scott1111, Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Dear collegecuti,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team, especially Arika and Bryn, at the Hotel Angeleno. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit with us.

Warm Regards,

Scott Gordon
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I stayed here with 2 friends for 3 nights in July. Our travel agent booked it for us. It was a nice hotel, the rooms were fine and the pool area was good. The problem is that it is in the middle of nowhere. They have a shuttle bus that can take you to places nearby but even the places nearby arn't that great. I think if you have a car or are staying for business then it would be no problem. I would choose elsewhere if you are on holidays because we ended up spending a lot of money on getting around. Having said that, the staff were really nice, we had no problems with service. We certaintly still had a great time in LA but I would probably look around elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dear CarlaS23,

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno.

I am sorry you had trouble getting around town. We have buses that stop right in front of the hotel that can take you anywhere. I am so sorry if that information was not passed on to you.

At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay and how we can improve.

Warm Regards,

Scott Gordon
Rooms Division Manager
Indiana
Reviewed 22 August 2010

My husband and 11 -ear-old spent five nights of our LA-area vacation at the Hotel Angeleno. The place had a bit of the hip, boutique vibe. But, it was also large enough to meet our needs for comfort, cleanliness, knowledgeable staff etc.

The room with two double beds was pretty small for three people for five nights. I ran into a family of four who had booked the same room type for five days as well. We were both happy with the hotel, but pressed for space.

The public areas were stylish. The pool was heated and the fireplace was a great place to sit outside on chilly evenings. The location is a little strange because it is right on the highway -- away from other hotels, returants and attractions. But, a five minute drive to Westwood or Brentwood was easy. Plus, Beverly Hills was close as well.

The reviewers that described the rooms as loud from traffic noise must have been sleeping with the door open. It was really loud outside on the balcony, but I couldn't even hear it in the room. They did a great job soundproofing the glass.

While on this same trip we spent one night at the Sheraton Universal, I suspect these buildings were buit at about the same time. But, the remodel of the Hotel Angeleno was far superior. They paid attention to all of the interior details. For example, the bathroom doors didn't have 15 layers of paint like a lot of older hotels do. They proabaly completely gutted the interior because the finishes were all neat and fresh. If you have concerns about older hotels like I do, you will not have any concerns with the interior of The Hotel Angeleno.

With the AAA rate, we payed an average of $150 per night. Not bad for LA.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Livermore, CA
Reviewed 20 August 2010

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Hotel Angeleno while visiting colleges in the Los Angeles area. The location is GREAT--unless you encounter a lot of traffic on the 405--then you SEE the hotel for a long time before you can GET to it!! :) It's located just between Brentwood and Bel-Air, adjacent to the 405 and Sunset Blvd. We were able to zip over to UCLA in minutes and Beverly Hills and Hollywood are also just a short drive down Sunset.

Rooms are nicely decorated with a cosmopolitan modern flair, although on the smallish side. We had a flat-screen tv, two phones, a desk, fridge (stocked with mini-bar stuff), coffee pot (with Wolfgang Puck coffee), blowdryer, iron, ironing board and plenty of drawer space.

The bathroom was VERY small, but they'd gotten creative with shelving and managed to fit everything in there nicely. Our blowdryer didn't work, but I'd brought my own so that wasn't a problem. The bathtub/shower was on the smallish side and had an almost-attacking shower curtain--the curved rod kept it from being too annoying.

Our fridge wouldn't get cold, so we called the front desk and had a replacement fridge (thankfully UNSTOCKED) in very quick time. I also had to ask the front desk several other questions (restaurant hours, pool location and hours, workout room location and hours, internet service options, etc.) because there was no information booklet in the room. The front desk person told me that they were in the process of re-doing those, so many rooms didn't have them. I found that a little frustrating, but I got over it! There was also no notepad, and only one pen (after a thorough search for THAT) in the room, so I don't know if that was part of the same problem. Internet service was free, although the signal was a little weak in our room.

The pool area was lovely, with cushioned lounge chairs and a fireplace and very cool lighting, but there was no hot tub. :( The workout room was very cool, with colored lights and a big screen tv. It almost had a nightclub vibe to it!

The hotel is circular with small balconies on all rooms. Ours overlooked the freeway, but I didn't notice any freeway noise--probably because the A/C unit was so loud! These units could use replacement, as they're noisy and not very effective. I was way too hot for most of the night, even with it set on the coldest setting.

Parking is valet-only and costs $20/night. Typical for L.A., but still pretty steep when you're paying $159 (at the very LOWEST) for a room.

The lobby is cool and sets the mood nicely. The elevators are FAST and we never had to wait long for one. We ate breakfast at the top-floor restaurant (The Wave) and it was VERY good, and the view is amazing. I went up at night to check it out and it would be a very nice place for a romantic dinner or drink in the bar with all the lights of L.A. below you.

This hotel is nice, and could be even NICER (bordering on lush) if a few more improvements were made. To be fair, it's WAY more affordable than the Hotel Luxe which is just a block away, and the price is very reasonable considering the location. I would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Albany, OR
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Stayed here over a long weekend to be with family and a convocation at UCLA. Great location for so many things....only traveled on the freeway once....to get back to LAX!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Yucca Valley, California
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Hotel Angeleno offers a convenient location for my business trips to Los Angeles as it has easy access to the 405 freeway and Sunset Boulevard. I visit Los Angeles quite often and have stayed at many of the city's hotels. My first choice is always the Hotel Angeleno because I can depend on clean and comfortable rooms with a view of the city or the Getty Museum. The staff is courteous and service oriented and they really make it feel like a home away from home to me. It has a great lounge and restaurant so I don't need to drive to dine. I can't think of a better place to stay given the amenities and the price for a boutique hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I can not say enough about the customer service at the Hotel Angeleno. I have been a regular guest for a couple years and could not ask for a better experience each and every visit. The staff is friendly, efficient and greats you by name after only one introduction. Edith, at the front desk, takes such good care of me I feel like she is family. It is clear the staff loves their job and truly care about the experience of each guest.

The rooms are cozy with very comfortable beds and pillows. The pool area is gorgeous with an outdoor fireplace for evening enjoyment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business