“Wonderful hotel in Los Angeles!”
Review of The Orlando Hotel

The Orlando Hotel
Ranked #35 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We had a great time at this hotel! great service! front desk employees were very knowledgeable and went the extra mile to assist us! the cleaning lady was so nice! Very, very clean! The Churchill restaurant at the hotel was great and very lively nightlife! We walked to really good breakfast places, went across the street to get delicious cupcakes, walked two blocks down the street to the Beverly Hills mall. All in all, we were very please with our choice and will definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Marina P,

Thank you very much for the kind review. I am pleased our staff made your stay enjoyable and you had an opportunity to explore our West 3rd Street neighborhood for dining and shopping.

The new restaurant at the hotel; The Churchill definitely has added to the nightlife scene since opening last November. They also offer a unique 7-day a week all day brunch which is a little more of a relaxed dining experience.

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for choosing the Orlando.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for The Orlando Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Yes good rooms, and very helpful front desk staff. Not all but 1-2 of them were great especially Paul. However the kicker was in the end. They steal things. Yes, I forgot my $180 worth toothbrush and I contacted them right away. There wouldn't even been a new person in that room for a full day and the toothbrush was gone. I was told that they are protected uner CA Civil Code. Well then, awesome. Clearly they don't care about negative experiences because they need that $180. I already had one person cancel their plans to go there. Up to you... Competition is high, for that price there are great other hotels, I was there for location convenience. Then again I couldn't even open my windows due to the location, unless I wanted creepers to watch me. You don't want to walk alone outside at night either. Ugh, mistake!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ugur a
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Dear ugur a,

I would like to respond to your recent communication directly with the hotel and subsequent social media postings. You wrote to us directly:

“I've already started my social media networks on multiple platforms about what happened. Writing reviews, etc. Last time someone screwed me over it made it to radio shows without me submitting it because of the hype it got. I'm also notifying my company of 30k+ associates because I manage the entire communication network internally.

I hope it was worth the $180 you saved. So unless you change your approach on this incident by the end of week this incident will be reaching over 120k people in only a week. Of course it won't stop there. If you do change your approach however, I'm willing to remove it all and call it a misunderstanding and you guys were very nice about making it right.

Your call.

Thanks."

Dear ugur a,

I am in receipt of your cdirect ommunications with our Director of Operations and would like to recap and respond below.

After checking out of the hotel you contacted her two days later via email regarding a toothbrush you believe you left in the guest room upon your departure. She then spoke with you over the phone the following day and checked our lost & found area for the item. Unfortunately the item was not located.

While it is the sole responsibility of our guests to ensure they collect their personal belongings upon departure of the hotel, often times people leave things behind. The Orlando hotel has a very structured lost & found policy in place for such occurrences. 1. All items are turned into the housekeeping office and tagged with the room number and date found. 2. All items are stored for a minimum of 90 days in accordance with the California Innkeepers Law. I assure you this policy is strictly followed as our housekeepers regularly turn in items ranging from inexpensive items like miscellaneous clothing and cell phone chargers to high value items such as jewelry and iPads.

Upon not finding your toothbrush in lost & found our Director of Operations asked for a photo of what it looked like and spoke directly to the housekeeper that was assigned to clean the room the day you departed. The housekeeper did not recognize the item. That said, used toothbrushes are often left behind in hotel rooms and are considered rubbish and not lost & found material for hygienic purposes. It is possible that the housekeeper did not recognize the extreme value of your special toothbrush and threw it away.

The Orlando Hotel has been owned and operated by the same group that built the hotel almost 30 years ago. We have housekeeping staff that have been with us that long and almost all on the team have worked here 10 plus years. Our history as an operation of integrity and hospitality is stellar. To insinuate that anyone at the property is interested in a used toothbrush and would steal something from a guest room and risk their long term employment is not only ludicrous, it is offensive.

The registration card you signed at check- in clearly states in the first line; “The Orlando Hotel assumes no responsibility for loss of money, jewels or other valuables unless placed in our safety deposit box at the Cashiers Desk”. In addition, our responsibilities under California Law regarding items left in guest rooms is very clear that we are not responsible for these unfortunate situations. It is important that we follow our written policies such as this consistently with all guests.

It is disheartening that you feel this situation is intentional and the hotel is somehow profiting from a used toothbrush left behind and that it warrants backlash on social media sites. Unfortunately, we will not be sending you compensation for the incident as it is not our responsibility to do so.

I am pleased to note from your Trip Advisor review that Paul was very helpful during your stay with us. I understand he was able to obtain VIP status for you at many of the area nightclubs. Our team works very hard to provide that kind of service and to garner consistently great reviews and we will continue to do so.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Love the Orlando ,have stayed there every trip to LA except one so probably 8-9 times
Renovations are excellent and staff super great

Location -brilliant -The Orlando is my Home in BH .
The area has changed over the years with more great restaurants popping up every trip

Definitely a Boutique Hotel to be in

Room Tip: try to request an upgraded room -i like facing Third st and all the restaurants
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Tracey L,

Thank you so much for your repeated patronage of the Orlando. I truly appreciate your choosing to stay with us on your frequent visits to Los Angeles.

I have to agree with you that our West 3rd Street neighborhood is continuing to evolve in to a great destination rich with dining, entertainment and shopping opportunities. It seems each week we have anew boutique or restaurant opening.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a great hotel. Staff is super nice, workout facilities and pool work. Cool bar and restaurant with a great looking crowd even in the middle of the week.

This is not an Ian Shrager Mondrian type of "chic" place, but it isn't priced like one either. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Shan P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Orlando.

I am pleased to know that you will return for a future visit with us. It is good to know you enjoyed the restaurant, gym and pool. The next time you return we will have completed a full upgrade to our workout facility. We have all brand new state-of-the-art Cybex equipment arriving in less than two weeks. Additionally, after summer we are planning extensive upgrades to the pool area as well. So it will be even better during your next visit.

Warmly,

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Spent one night, after returning from Zurich.
Arrived at 10PM.
Night clerk was very friendly.Even called to ask if I liked the room.
Valet parking.
Room was very modern, clean, quiet.Very nice BR.
Hotel very modern looking.
No breakfast, but there is a restaurant attached to the hotel that serves breakfast, etc.
Very close to Cedar Sinai Hospital, and the beverly center.
There are many places to eat in walking distance.

Room Tip: My room faced the back and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear drbrussels,

I am so pleased you chose the Orlando on your recent trip back from Zurich.

I will be sure to share this review with our night clerk and I know he will be pleased he made an impact on your stay.

West 3rd Street is definitely a great location for dining with many varied options to choose from. It is also a prime area for shopping if so inclined, not onely is the Beverly Center a block away but there are many unique one-of-a-kind boutiques lining 3rd Street down to Fairfax where the Grove is a shoppers Mecca.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review of the hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel is very clean, room service was amazing, rooms are large. There are lots of things to do in the area, they have a club inside of hotel, Beverly Center across the street, also Farmers Market is close by. I look forward to staying here in the future.

Room Tip: all rooms are good rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear williamnpaulina,

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent trip to Los Angeles.

Thank you very much for the 5-star review!

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is my first "5 Star" Review... Have stayed here numerous times over the years and couldn't recommend it more highly. I have stayed on both business and with my family (one of the few hotels in LA that caters to both the tourist and business traveler.) It has a very European feel to the property, I know some have disliked the pool, but its size and location on the 2nd floor is what makes it so charming and unique.

One of the best aspects of this place is that they have continuously updated and remodeled when necessary. So many joints wait until the paint is peeling and the carpet is coming up before undertaking a remodel. I've stayed here since 92 and would guess they've updated at least 3 or 4 times since then.

But the reason I give it the 5 stars instead of only 4 is because of the staff. From the Front Desk to the housekeeping and restaurant, they are simply and always nice people.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear IndianaNacho,

We are so appreciative to receive the honor of your first 5-star review. Thank you very much for that and your many repeat visits with us.

It is nice of you to notice that we continue to update areas throughout the property on a regular basis. As I have mentioned in other postings, in the next two weeks we will have a brand new gym with state-of-the-art Cybex equipment and new flooring and décor. We are also currently in the planning stages for some serious upgrades to the pool area that will take place after summer. So you can expect some pleasant surprises on your next visit.

I have to agree that the staff truly makes the most important impact on our guest’s experience at the hotel. They will be very pleased to know they have succeeded in providing you repeated enjoyable visits with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
#9 of 19 in West Hollywood
Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
#68 of 352 in Los Angeles

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!