“Not what I expected”

Ranked #32 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Chicago, Illinois
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2008

I travel to LA for work once or twice a month and my usual hotel was booked so I had to find something new (not a bad thing as I like trying new hotels). I chose the Orlando as it was close to my meetings the next day and I like staying at small boutique hotels. The website is designed very well but unfortunately the hotel is not.

This is essentially a refurbished hotel that is trying to be a boutique but I thought it was dark, shabby and uncomfortable. I was not expecting the Ritz Carlton but at $300 a night, a little more attention to detail and cleanliness would have been nice. The bed was uncomfortable, the bathroom was half-renovated and the entire place felt odd to me.

However, I am giving it two stars as I am very picky and the front desk person when I checked in was nice...

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Jchgo972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

I reported before that the vallet parking was $12 per night - just checked my records and its actually $26 per night! But other wise the hotel is great, a fantastic location and good value so don't let this put you off!

• Liked — Location, friendlyness and helpfulness of staff, newly decorated large rooms, clean
  • Disliked — Small bathroom not redecorated, vallet parking expensive
  • Stayed June 2008
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2008

So it was our son's 30th birthday last week and we were surprising him with a sumptuous surprise party. Therefore, we needed a place to stay out of his view. After much careful research only a marketing maven such as myself undergoes, I opted for the self-described small European style boutique Orlando Hotel. What a delightful gem in the middle of Beverly Hills!

Arriving late into the evening, we drove up in our rental car to be greeted without any wait by friendly attendants. Upon entering, the lobby was awash in candlelight, as votives were lit on nearby tables. Check in was a breeze and before we knew it we were looking out over the surrounding area twinkling as only L.A. does.

Service here, while California laid back, was excellent. We called down for extra sugar and creamer and it seemed he was waiting outside our door - it was so quick. In fact, our every request was met with courtesy and superb promptness. The room reminded me of the Swissotel in London. It was clean, modern, and with all the creature comforts including robes (heavy), slippers, in room coffee, hair dryers, and a very nice bathroom vanity which was supplied with Bulgari toiletries. The bed was plushly adorned and very comfortable and room service did a great job. In room TV is a wall mounted very large screen and local and national newspapers are available every morning. This place is intimate, modern, clean and delightful and worth every reasonable penny.

Now for the best part - we booked our room at $299 a night for a king sized bed, which also included breakfast in thehotel restaurant downstairs. It's small and delicious with fresh fruits, eggs done-any-
style and more. Parking was $26.

Now even better - this was all in the heart of downtown Beverly Hills...so close you can walk to everything or take a very short drive to Melrose for even more fantabulous shopping which a good New York girl like me did!

I highly recommend this jewel. At this price, with breakfast and reasonable parking rates, you are treated like a celebrity without the celebrity prices. Enjoy!

• Liked — Best area in L.A.
  • Disliked — Nothing. It was a wonderful overall experience.
  • Stayed June 2008
2 Thank PortabelloRoadChick
south orange, new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

Just returned from 3 days at the Orlando with my teenage son and husband. This is a great hotel and a fabulous location. The room is large and very comfortable, the staff very helpful. (The valet managed to have our car ready for us in minutes each time we needed it.) The location is central for getting around LA, but the real highlight is that there are many fine restauarants and stores within walking distance. Our first day we dined at a Japanese place about 4 doors away that turned out to be one of the best meals of the trip. The nearby stores were some of the most interesting I've seen anywhere. I have stayed in Century City, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica in the past, but will return to the Orlando for my next trip.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank gaudifan
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2008

Just spent 3 days there on business and was thrilled with my stay at The Orlando. I prefer smaller boutique hotels. The room was large, the bed comfortable and came with a complimentary full breakfast. Great and fast service in the restaurant, at the front desk and also the valet. The location was perfect -- lots in the neighbourhood within walking distance including excellent restaurants and shopping. The farmers market in The Grove was a nice find. The location was also central to my business calls within the entertainment business. I will absolutely stay there the next time I'm in LA and will recommend it wholeheartedly to my colleagues and friends.

• Liked — Comfort, quality, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank TorontoCarol999
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting lovely accommodations in an excellent location, 2 blocks from the Beverly Center surrounded by several great restaurants, including Ortolan (Michelin 1 star) , cafes and boutique shops.
Our room was ready on arrival on the 5th floor, which overlooked the pool, was modern, spacious and very clean. All the conveniences were included such as plasma TV, mini-bar and comfortable bedding. We slept exceedingly well-no hotel noise or street noise. The bath is small but nicely furnished with Bulgari bath items. Valet service was excellent, quick and professional. We had breakfast in the restaurant, served buffet style, all the items offered, cereals, yogurt, breads/pasties, deli meats and cheese, eggs, etcs were fresh and service was good. We encountered no problems at all and recommend this hotel for its unpretentious flair, great value and location-amazing boutique hotel that will get my business again.

• Liked — Quiet, great location, personal service, very clean and modern
  • Disliked — only one public computer in the lobby and it was a MAC
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank PTLover
middletown , connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2008

I loved this hotel so much and will definately return! The bed was so comfortable. The rooms were clean and the service was fantastic. The concierge was extremely helpful. We requested to dine at various hot restaurants and he took care of it all. The area of this hotel was great. I am so happy i chose this hotel for my first visit to LA.

Stayed July 2005
#28 of 349 in Los Angeles
Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel
Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel
#98 of 349 in Los Angeles

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!