“Ok but we expected more”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Orlando Hotel

The Orlando Hotel
Ranked #32 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
milton keynes, england
“Ok but we expected more”
Reviewed 11 March 2009

This was our last stop for 2 nights before heading back to the UK & we had been recommended this hotel before their recent renovation, it was a bit disapponting. The room was clean enough but the bathroom was tired & very cramped. The public area was nice with a free internet pc but the restaurant breakfast was very disappointing, we didn't bother for the 2nd morning we walked down to the Farmers Market instead. The location is pretty good being midway between the Grove & the Beverley Centre,a taxi to Hollywood Blvd was about $35. The open top tour bus stops nearby. Overall we were a bit disillusioned by our 1st visit to LA by the exhorbitent level of tipping expected.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulus101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 December 2008

My friend comes into town from SF for work often and usually stays at The Orlando. On his last trip, I visited with him for the weekend and we played "tourist," which was fun since the hotel is located right where everything is. We even walked across the street to a store to buy ice cream at midnight! The staff is so friendly and are always helpful. The valet guys were also helpful as we had two cars and were trying to figure out where to park the other one, etc. One day, I went to the pool area to sit outside and work on my laptop in the sun. Ahhhh..... just lovely! And, the beds are super comfortable too! I would highly recommend this property to anyone who needs to stay in LA but doesn't want to deal with a huge mega-property. It is so easy to get in/out of and I love that the whole building is wireless.

Stayed November 2008
3 Thank hulaskoot
CookieWorld
Reviewed 16 December 2008

The Orlando was an awesome surprise. I was in town for a couple of nights on business last minute, and my travel agent got me an affordable room at the Orlando. My stay was extremely enjoyable, and the location, (in the 3rd and beverly area) was in walking distance to the bar I was meeting friends at, and on Sunday, close to the Fairfax flee market, which was also a great plus, as finding a place in walking distance to anything in LA, can be hard to come by.

• Liked — Area and Ammenities
  • Disliked — WIfi
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank CookieWorld
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 13 December 2008

The Orlando turned out to be a great disappointment. The hotel does not have a sign, so it took several rounds of going around the block before finding it. The staff is extremely fake when pretending to be friendly and helpful. I had to give repeated instructions to the valet guy and the bellman about their own jobs. I would say the rooms are at most 2.5stars. The TV and the alarm clock did not work and when I called the staff about it expecting someone to come up and repair it, all I got was an insincere "We're sorry, we don't have anyone available to fix them." I was shocked at the level of indifference and lack of professionalism. The breakfast was at best mediocre. We were told not so sit outside because it was going to be cleaned, which turned out to be a lie to cut down work for the staff. The only good feature of this hotel is its location. But there are several other hotels in the area with far better service.
At first I thought this was general LA culture but after transferring to a different hotel, I realized that the horrible service was unique to the Orlando. Do not waste your money on this hotel.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Persika
SoCal
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Really a great place to stay.
I wouldn't call it a five star hotel,
it has been updated, but they cut corners in some ways.
Nothing major, they just could of done a better job,
it looks like they used staff or a handyman to do lights, faucets, etc.
Besides that, the place is great.
Friendly staff, nice rooms, super beds.
I have stayed there 2 times in total.
I will continue to stay there.
The price is right, the valet parking is nice,
and the location is the BEST.
You can walk to the Grove from there, and a ton of other stuff.
Alot of cool stores, and great restaurants within walking distance.
Very cool.

• Liked — The beds are awesome
  • Disliked — Could of done a better job in updating ~ a little sloppy in some areas
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank six7777
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 October 2008

The title points out my favorite things about the Orlando but I enjoyed the entire experience. It is definitely a place for those looking for a small, homey experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and everything was extremely clean. There have been some comments about the dated bathrooms but ours seemed to be newly renovated so I would suggest asking for a room with a new bath. I would call the room decor "Crate and Barrel", more contemporary than traditional.
Loved the neighborhood! It was within walking distance of the Farmer's Market and the streets were filled with boutiques and many small, reasonably priced restaurants.
I was pleasantly surprised that it had a (small) pool and fitness center, a free computer for use in the lobby and wireless access in the lounge.
All in all, a good experience.

• Liked — comfortablr bed and soft towels
  • Disliked — cost of parking
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daveb50
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I stayed at The Orlando this past weekend and echo most of the reviews that have been written -- great location, nice rooms (except bathrooms which need to be updated further) and good service. However...

I was booked at the hotel last month and arrived late morning to drop off my bag then go about my day of business. When I arrived just after 9 following a business dinner and long day, I was told that because a couple of people didn't check out of the hotel, they didn't have a room for me.

I was told that I had been booked in a Ramada 10 minutes away on Santa Monica Blvd. Hmmm. A Ramada on Santa Monica Blvd? This could be bad. Really bad. Turns out the room was fine and the hotel was on a decent part of SMB. Plus, The Orlando paid for the cab ride to the Ramada and paid for my room there. I've never had something like that happen to me in my career. However, it was disturbing that a man was checking into the hotel as they were wisking me out the door and into a cab. Why a room for him and not me when I was there first?

Everyone deserves a second chance so I stayed there this weekend. Best part of the hotel is definitely the great proximity to shopping, both along Third Street and on Robertson.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality of bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Westside
The Carlyle Inn
The Carlyle Inn
#28 of 348 in Los Angeles

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!