“Good Lower End Beverly Hills Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Orlando Hotel

The Orlando Hotel
Ranked #29 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
St. Louis Metro
“Good Lower End Beverly Hills Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed here two nights in April 2010, when we traveled to Beverly Hills to attend a wedding.

For Beverly Hills, the rooms were very affordable, at $159 per night (booked directly on the hotel web site). There is no garage, but our room rate included valet parking, so we felt like we didn't get gouged on the overall hotel cost. The room itself was clean and comfortable, with plenty of room for the two of us. The king sized bed was great, with lots of pillows. The TV screen was large and we took advantage of the in-room refrigerator and desk.

The only thing that really annoyed us was a run in with a bell hop upon arrival. We are self-sufficient people who chose to haul our own luggage. Because we had several suitcases, evening gown and tuxedos bags, we needed to use a luggage cart. We actually had to fight with the bell hop to let us handle the thing ourselves! He told us that he was going to get fired if he didn’t take responsibility for the luggage cart, which we found to be ridiculous and told the Front Desk so.

The hotel is close to the Beverly Center, and I actually walked down the main drag to find a hair stylist for my wedding hair up-do. There are plenty of restaurants if you don’t mind walking a few blocks. Overall, a good stay for the money and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tohnia, Managing Director at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2011
I appreciate your taking the time to write a review. We strive to continue to improve our service and feedback such as yours is important in assisting us.
It’s great to know you felt we provided good value and that you enjoyed our location as much as we do.
We do have a policy in place regarding guest use of our luggage carts. Unfortunately we have had past guests do major damage to our elevators as they are not used to using them on a daily basis like our staff. I hope that helps shed a little light on the situation.
We hope you will be staying with us on your next visit to Los Angeles!
Best regards,
Tohnia Miller
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was an entirely sufficient hotel in an entirely awesome location. That said, I was a little disappointed. For starters, the bedding was in my top 5 for most uncomfortable hotel bed experiences. The mattress was like sleeping on a concrete slab and the pillows were basically non-existent.

The room itself was nice; a little cramped, but nice. It seemed to me that it was a very old hotel that had only been moderately updated with the latest furnishings. It wasn't as flashy & fancy as the website had made it out to be.

The front desk associates were always friendly and greeted us with a smile every time we'd return to the hotel. The valets were helpful and as equally amicable.

I would recommend this hotel if you're on a budget and looking to stay in a fabulous location, but not if you're looking for a fabulous hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Colmar, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

The room we were given was quite large but had a very low ceiling. It is furnished modernly but looks a bit like a student's home. The room seemed renovated but they kept structures like the room entrance door and the bathroom facilities which looked cheap and made us feel as in a motel.
The bathroom was very small. When turning on the tap the water would not drain away but fill the sink up. The toilet flush was very weak.
Then there was a constant noise coming out of the A/C opening even though it was completely turned off. This was very annoying at night. The next day I complained about it. Later I found out myself by opening the bathroom ceiling that several water pipes passed behind the A/C opening which were running all the time. Who could sleep with that noise? I helped myself by sticking newspaper on the outside so I could reduce the noise for the night.
The hotel is located in the center between Beverly Hills and West Hollywood which sounds great. But you will still need a car to go anywhere else than the road it is on. Their valet parking is at $29 per day. I used it for the first day but wasn't charged upon checkout. I've used the parking which is at $9 per day.
The day of checkout the room cleaning entered the room at 8 am while we were still asleep. Later, at around 10 am they knocked again. They should have known that we were leaving and they don't need to clean until after we have checked out. Also the minibar wasn't filled up.
Because of all this I wasn't satisfied. I don't recommend this hotel.

1 Thank roomservice99
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

We love staying in small boutique hotels, and The Orlando was the perfect choice. The contemporary decor was great. We loved our large room and the service was excellent. The valet service was speedy. We loved the location. You could walk to many restaurants and shopping. Also, the hotel is directly across from the famous Magnolia's Bakery, so cupcakes were readily available!! We will stay here again! Also, the small hotel even has a restaurant and a small heated pool and exercise room - quite a bonus for a hotel of this size. We highly recommend The Orlando!!

1 Thank Travelpro2
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

THE hotel was ok ..definitely no Westin, but not bad….my only complaint really is the pricing for the only parking the hotel has is $39/day way to much when u already paying to stay there..what I would recommend if u don’t mind walking about 3 blocks is to park @ the mall down the street which is max 10/day and just walk to your room .or u can park on the street I think after 8 (whatever the signs say) till morning and move ya car to the mall garage ..I would recommend staying @ the hotel just not parking at the hotel unless u got money to blow
p.s. FREE WIFI

1 Thank skittles18ya
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

I booked a one night "Urban Retreat" package which included valet for just under $200, a good deal by WH/BH standards. My husband & I had tickets for a show at a club around the corner so the location was perfect and the reviews on Tripadvisor were mostly excellent. The morning we were supposed to check in, I received a message from the hotel asking if they could make any reservations etc. Nice. We got in the car for the hour drive (it was more of a staycation for us as we're local) at around 2:00 pm. My phone rang at 2:05 advising us our room was no longer available, they had overbooked and were sending us to the Thompson Beverly Hills. What? An hour before check in? I checked Tripadvisor and the reviews for the Thompson were awful. I called the hotel back and asked if there was anything that could be done to rectify this situation. She was very nice but no. The Orlando would pick up the charge for the Thompson. Needless to say, the reviews on the Thompson were spot on. Small rooms, no coffee maker (which the Orlando indicates they have and for which I spent an extra $25 for coffee in the AM), and upon check out they attempted to charge me $30 for parking. Further, they charged me about $50 more than the cost of the Orlando. So, I didn't get to stay at the Orlando at the very last minute, I paid more for a hotel I did not like, and I sent an email to the Orlando asking them to request the Thompson refund the overage with no response. Will I stay at the Orlando in the future? I guess I have to now so I can actually write a review about their hotel. Very disappointed.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Port Chester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

The customer service here is extraordinary. It began before our stay when I contacted the General Manager, Tohnia Miller, because of some confusion about whether my package included breakfast. Her response was prompt and welcoming and was a reflection of the warmth of all of the staff with whom we had contact. The room was great and the bed was one of the best I've ever slept on. It is true that the bathrooms are a little worn and that the noise between connecting rooms can be a problem. However, I understand the the hotel will be undergoing a major renovation this fall that will take care of both of these problems. Also, travelers should be aware that the pool is very small, more of a "soaking" than "swimming"pool.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
#8 of 18 in West Hollywood
Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
#75 of 348 in Los Angeles

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!