“Amazing!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Central L.A
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were on our way to Anaheim and I had read about this very inspiring and delicious spot to eat in the City of Angels. Homegirl Cafe didn't disappoint, it was just the opposite, great! The food is amazing, fresh and tastes out of this world. The portion sizes are huge (I would share with another person) but so good. Fresh and flavorful, with great service and wonderfully inspirational stories from the servers if you ask about their story. What an amazing place to visit, something I will do again, whenever I am in the neighborhood of a Homegirl Cafe location.

1  Thank ducka62

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Homegirl Cafe is part of the Homeboy social enterprise so all the cooking and serving is done by former gang members who have decided to turn their backs on that lifestyle. So that's the background-what's the food like? Well it's amazing. It is the most original and appetising Mexican inspired food I have ever had and I have eaten in a lot of Mexican restaurants. All the food is fresh-cooked on the spot for you so yes sometimes your dishes may arrive separately but what does arrive more than makes up for it. I had tacos with pork carnitas, red mole chicken, and ascholte chicken-all delicious and I was a bit brave and tried one on a cactus leaf-an interesting taste. All the tacos are gluten free a big bonus for me as usually I just eat the filling. Homeboy's chips and salsa and an LA legend already so obviously we had some of those. Other people I was with recommended the roasted white sweet corn and they have some very interesting drinks to accompany your lunch (all alcohol free). Homegirl cafe is open for breakfast and lunch and is well worth the detour through downtown to Chinatown. I went to be charitable but next time I visit LA I WILL be going back for the food don't miss it just go!

1  Thank ph0ebe48
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Service was slow... tan out of Guacamole and Salmon... Maybe a rough day, everyone has them... the salad was pretty good and filling. Guess I'll give it another try some other day...

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Fresh Mexican with some imaginative twists. The food is alive and tasty. None of this dead mexican slop you find sometimes. Great organization. Great cause. Great lunch. Give it a try.

1  Thank FroggyBumBum
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I had lunch here today and it was the best one I have had since being in LA. The service was quick and efficient. The food fresh, hot and tasty. The portions were substantial.

I also did a tour of Homeboy Industries next door, which I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Dushkas