“Fun and yummy”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Westside
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 12 September 2012

FUN SUPERMARKET full of mystery (I can't read Japanese) fruits, vegies, freshly-dead fishes, non-perishables, but also identifiable smoked eel, seaweed, Japanese flavors of ice cream, kitchen dishes and utensils, and a refrigerated deli counter from which one can choose boxed dishes (such as smoked eel on rice with seaweed strips and a packet of soy sauce) ranging from snack size to dinner size to share. On weekend days, there is often a table at the entrance where an employee offers tastes of a prepared product, such as instant miso soup, or the seaweed and other flavoring to mix with Japanese rice, or... Japanese beer!

FUN FOOD COURT with 4 different counters, each with a glass window full of plastic food labeled with what it is and a number (so you can order #43 or whatever).

HANNOSUKE tempura seafood mix (2 shrimp, fish, sweet potato, etc.) on rice (see photo): the shrimp was cooked perfectly, neither over- or undercooked, but I thought the breading tasted oily and I didn't like that the breaded shrimp was limp, not stiff. My husband said that the other half of the same shrimp was the best shrimp he'd ever eaten.

SANUKI SANDOU noodle soup (see photo) was good. A few days later we tried the pair of fried fish cakes; it was fine if you like fish cakes, i.e., a solid slab of firm white fish stuff, breaded and deep fried. It must be made from fish flesh that ground and shaped. I prefer real fish.

There are lots of other dishes I want to go back and try!

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I wasn't the biggest fan of ramen restaurants since I've been disappointed enough times in my hometown and when traveling to other places. I admit I was skeptical when coming here since I've been to the "best" ramen places in California had to offer and all have left me with a terrible aftertaste. Boy was I wrong...this place rocked!!!!! I ordered the medium spicy miso ramen with the pork bowl combo and each bite was heaven! The noodles were a perfect not too soft not too hard consistency, the broth was spicy but not enough to overpower the saltiness of the miso and the pork bowl was a nice complement to cleanse the palate of eating the ramen. My only regret was not getting the large bowl but that was easily resolved when i went back! :)
I've been to many restaurants of all ethnicity and prices in the SoCal region and so far this has been by far my favorite. There are other locations in the OC area and I plan on trying them out to see if they're consistent :)

Reviewed 7 April 2012

OK, so after researching, I ended up in the food court at the Mitsuwa marketplace for a bowl of ramen from the famed Santouka. I had the shio ramen combo with a side of rice with soybeans on top and soy egg. Ramen broth was a bit on the salty side, not quite as flavorful as it was salty. Pork was not melt in your mouth tender. My soy egg was exactly that but what I didn't enjoy was the cold soybeans on the warm rice. It was sticky and gooey and unedible. Too bad, looked good though.
The green tea soft serve ice cream from the bakery/bookstore on my way out was a definite winner. If you like strong matcha flavor, this is your type of dessert-don't be turned off by the color.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Love the variety of stuff in their supermarket, love the restaurants specially Santouka, love the service...Price can be a bit of challenge if you compare with other commonly known groceries. Parking is sometimes also a problem. Longer store hours please and maybe include a lotto station inside. More Japanese confections please. A yakitori place is still lacking in the food area. Overall i love going here to eat and shop. Wish they were in every City in every Country.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

We love Santouka just like all the reviews here. We love it so much that when we were first going to santouka, we would bring our own tupperware to take ramen home and eat it(we have 2 small children and sometimes its just easier at home). We then found out they at least give you to go boxes and cartons but you have to put it in yourself.

I digress though. The broth and noodles are awesome. We always get 1 large spicy miso ramen set with rice and pork and 1 large miso ramen set with rice and pork for the 4 of us which is more than enough. Comes with a soy sauce boiled egg. In the soup is pork, fish cake and bamboo. We like the environment of a food court since we have kids and it doesnt have to be quiet. We always think about trying the other options in the food court but we always go back to Santouka.