“favorite ramen”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Westside
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My life has drastically changed forever after coming here for the first time. This is officially my favorite ramen in the world (yes, more than Daikokuya).

I get the miso based broth. YUM! One of the reasons I love this place (besides it being incredibly delicious) are the size choices. I can never finish a giant bowl of ramen, especially at lunch time. I always get the small and its perfect for me; I don't feel like I need a nap when I get back to work. Sometimes I'll buy a sushi roll in the market to supplement if I feel like it.

Its located inside Mitsuwa Market which is great because I always end up walking out with fun Japanese desserts and snacks!

It gets pretty packed during lunch time so I try to get there not longer after 12 to try and beat the rush. If its raining, try even earlier - you're not the only one who wants ramen when its rainy! Yes, sometimes the line for Santouka can look brutal. But its somewhat like the TSA line at the airport - looks never ending, but moves rather quickly and is definitely worth the wait.

The parking lot can be a mess but you can park on Centinela right in front of the lot which saves you some time and a headache.

Cash only. There's a Bank of America ATM inside and at Chase bank in the parking lot.

One more thing and then I'll stop... Its great to come here with a group because its in a food court. So if your friend doesn't want ramen (for some strange, inexplicable reason), he/she can pick from a variety of other choices.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I simply love Santouka. I think I've eaten there like 50 times. Not only are the noodles simply amazing but even during rush hour you will see a long line but it moves super fast. Also, the seating area is large and I've always found seats. I even sometimes order a second order of their pork bowl side dish. Its one of the most tender and juicy pork I've ever had.

If you are looking for a truly authentic Japanese experience in LA visit the Mitsuwa Market. You will find a number of places to go eat, they are all super cheap and the food taste just like in Japan. Triple thumbs up.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We first learned of Santouka from Jonathan Gold, the Food Critic previously of LA Weekly and now for LA Times. Indeed, Santouka makes the best Ramen in town. Their broth is intensely flavorful and rich, the noodles retains its chewy texture until the last bite. My favorite is Spicy Miso. Although they named it Spicy Miso, it is actually not overly spicy.

Santouka takes cash only, dine in, no take outs.
You pretty much self serve but the Cashier is friendly and smiley.Help yourself to the
cold water they have set up.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Santouka was amazing. Featured inside the Mitsuwa supermarket is this delicious gem. The ramen is amazing, but honestly even better is simply their pork over a bed of rice -this was melting in your mouth heaven.

They were very busy at lunchtime, but no worries, ample comfortable food court-style tables. The food is so delicious and everyone is devouring it, so seating turnover is pretty fast. It's a great stop to/from LAX airport (only a 15 drive away).

Reviewed 2 December 2012

While Mitsuwa is a chain of Japanese grocery stores across the US, their food court is about as authentic Japanese that you can get this side of the Pacific. Be warned that all the food vendor stalls only take cash, but there was a Bank of America ATM inside last time we were there.

Get the ramen bowl! My favorite is the Miso Ramen... you won't be disappointed.