“The only hotel I have ever left after checking in”
Review of Los Gatos Lodge

Los Gatos Lodge
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel room stunk so bad we could not even stay. The halls smelled of heavy cigarette smoke and the room smelled like a dead cat. We actually got our money back and went across the street to the Los gatos motor inn. 20 times better if you can believe that. I will never recommend the Los gatos lodge. What a huge disappointment and a sad state for such a landmark hotel in a beautiful town. If it said horrible on here that is what I would have chosen.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank CAgolfgirl
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

I'm sad to hear this, CAgolfgirl. We do everything in our power to make sure our rooms are clean and accommodating, I'm sorry this wasn't the case during your visit. Rest assured, we've already started looking into the unpleasant smells. I hope you were still able to enjoy your time in the Los Gatos area.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

If location is all you care about, no need to read reviews. If you want something inviting, a home away from home, then don't come here. Although if your idea of a home away from home is nasty stained carpets and couch, then again, look no further.

The website makes this hotel seem very nice... then you enter your room and think, "it didn't look this run down on the website." I even went back to check and they had to have used a more recently renovated room. Although the picture did show the old bulky 80's style TV.

Pros:
- spaceous room with kitchen that can be closed off from the rest of the room, thankfully since we couldn't close the blinds
- sprawling and fairly well kept grounds
- pool (with a fence so close all the chairs are outside of the fence, seemed odd to me)
- no bugs of any kind seen
Cons:
- room had a unpleasant smell even after getting an air freshner
- stained carpet
- stained couch (put the bed comforter over it before I would sit on it. Housekeeping figured out what I was doing and covered the couch with sheets, which was appreciated)
- blinds in the kitchen were missing wand preventing adjustment for privacy.
- wifi was not dependable
- the tv was outdated
- the bathroom was small, lacked counter space and the shower is perfect for someone 5'4". I'm 5'9" and the base of the shower head was level with the tip of my nose.
- customer service was lacking. On 2 separate occassions to the front desk the staff that came into the area acted as though I were invisible. The person covering the desk absent momentarily. They were the only one to acknowledge my presence and they did so politely once they came to the front desk.
- the wallpaper is either poorly done or so old its beginning to peel off the walls. Probably the latter.
- there was still masking tape on the bathroom door knob from when it was painted.
- had better breakfast at cheaper hotels. And they seemed to always be out of coffee.
- poor quality for the price, the typical excuse by everyone for it... location

We cut our time short, went to another hotel in Campbell that was 100 times nicer and a tiny bit cheaper. This hotel has potential but needs major renovations. If the charm of the 80's is what they are after, then they should advertise it as such and not use it as an excuse why it doesn't meet what people expect.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Randi72
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Randi. I'm sad to hear our accommodations didn't live up to expectation. We do not make a point of promoting ourselves as a luxury hotel, instead we offer our guests a comfortable and spacious stay conveniently located close to the Los Gatos center.

We're also in the process of making several updates, starting with the carpets. In addition, we pride ourselves on the lush and welcoming grounds that surround our lodge. While I understand your disappointment, I hope you'll consider giving us another chance in the future. I'm certain the updates we're making will come as a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The staff at this hotel was incredibly friendly and accommodating, which is what you want when traveling away from home ... a place that tries to meet your personal needs, and make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Traveling alone with my son, who is disabled, and his service dog, often presents itself with many problems and awkward situations, from lack of accessibility, to legal issues regarding allowing access to a service dog. Many people are still unaware of many (American Disabilities Act) ADA laws and regulations, so I also run into that as well.
Anyways, at the lodge, there was none of that ... instead, the staff went out of their way to assist me, from helping me with my luggage, and changing our room, so that it was even more accessible for us. When people go out of their way to be especially kind, no matter what the circumstances, I remember it ... so thank you for your kindness and compassion ... I will definitely stay at the Los Gatos Lodge again ....
yes, the decor is a bit out dated, but the grounds are peaceful and well maintained ...
One suggestion - this place SCREAMS for a jacuzzi ... and towels by the pool ...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kellidog
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

It was a pleasure having you and your son stay with us, Kelli. I'm happy to know you appreciated our staff's warm and attentive service. It's always our goal to make you feel as comfortable as possible when you're here! We will certainly take your suggestion into consideration. As for the towels, that must have been an overlook on our part. Next time, feel free to ask the concierge for some extra pool towels. They would be more than happy to accommodate your requests. Thank you again for taking the time to write a positive review that reflects how much we value customer satisfaction. I am so happy that you and your son had a great time and enjoyed the peaceful grounds. I hope to see you again the next time you're in the area!

Best,

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Water leak at home forced the family out of the house + poodle. I don't normally get to stay in a hotel near to home so I took the advice of my Landlady and made a reservation. The room we were allocated (as dog friendly) was an end room - it was dark, dingy, had insects in it and a TV from last century. It was unacceptable for the price. The other guests seemed to be mainly construction workers and a few tourists travelling through. There was a seedy atmosphere around - when I went out to get dinner from the local Thai restaurant as the menu in the restaurant looked like fried with some more fried food - i noticed a Police car cruising the large parking area. Maybe we were put into the nastiest room at the lodge - beware. Check out other hotels in Los Gatos - one downtown right by the Post Office - same price and NO comparison.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Claudine G
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

I'm sad to hear this, Claudine. I wish you had voiced your concerns with the room we gave you, we would have happily moved you to another upon learning of your dissatisfaction. I also want to assure you we do everything in our power to maintain a safe, and welcoming environment. In order to ensure there's never anything amiss, we have the neighborhood police patrol our parking lot from time to time. I'm sorry if this made you feel at all uncomfortable, that's certainly never our intention. With that said, feedback is always appreciated, as it lets me know what we could improve upon.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed at Los Gatos Lodge on a recent business trip to the Silicon Valley since the normal places that I stay in the area were all booked. I picked Los Gatos Lodge because of its relatively close proximity to San Jose - but its feeling of being 'away from the city'.

During business trips, I like to run for relaxation before or after work each day. This hotel is a fantastic hotel for runners in that it's located right next to the Los Gatos High School track as well as being very close to the Los Gatos Creek Trail - which runs up into the foothills of the Santa Cruz mountains. I ran on the trails during my stay, and they are fantastic. It's hard to believe you are 20 minutes from the middle of the Silicon Valley.

The hotel room was clean but not fancy. This is not an elegant hotel but rather series of small 2-story buildings scattered about a relatively large property. You definitely feel like you are at a lodge or camp versus being at a traditional hotel.

Everything in the room was functional - and the WiFi worked just fine during my entire stay. The hotel offers a continental breakfast each day that included cereal, toast, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, donuts and coffee/juice. Again, it was not fancy - but it was well-stocked and nicely served.

Overall, the hotel was very reasonably priced and just fine for a night or two on a business trip. I'd stay there again - and I'll look forward to running on the trails again as well.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the inside of the hotel area versus the parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MarkSandieg0
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

I'm pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us, Mark! It's wonderful to know you took such good advantage of the great trails located near by. Providing our guests with an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city is what we love to do. I'm happy you appreciated our atmosphere. I hope you'll choose to stay with us again on your next visit to the Silicon Valley!

Take care,

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The hotel is lovely and in a beautiful area. The rooms were nice and bed comfortable. The provide infused water in the desk area. I've only been to three hotels providing that. It seems simple to me (I actually do that at home.) I had a brand new iPad with me. Used it the night before I checked out. Transportation to this area is difficult. My daughter picked me up the day I left I told the very nice young lady at the counter that I had been in room 505 and searched and searched for the IPad with no luck. If they found it please call me. They didn't call and about a month later I called in the evening and spoke to a nice man who looked through lost and found with no luck but he would do more the next day. When I called the next day I was told it was his day off. I explained my problem again with no luck. On my husband's phone has an app called Find Phone. If the phone is opened The Tablet says "Notify me when found." The app also indicates the location which is still Los Gatos. I was at this establishment February 23, 2013. My 41 year old nephew died in March and I have been helping to make arrangments, travelling between Bend and San Francisco, where I go to a wonderful hotel and they actually found my credit card, called me to tell me to not worry, they'd give it back next time I was in town. I go to the Bay Area at least once a month. Never again to this place. My next review will be on Yelp, I have friends with businesses almost ruined by bad review on Yelp and I think this hotel is one people in Silicon Valley would care about their lap tops, ipads, iphones etc etc. So, Yelp tomorrow morning unless someone managed to find my ITablet today.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Cecilio R, Manager at Los Gatos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

This is very disheartening to hear, Merle. I want to assure you it was never our intention to not follow through with your inquiries regarding your iPad. Unfortunately, we haven't come across it. If we had we would surely let you know right away. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. Please feel free to e-mail me directly at creyes@losgatoslodge.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Cecilio Reyes

Reviewed 1 May 2013

Recommended by the local residents we were visiting. Very reasonably priced; comfortable and clean room. Restaurant on property was OK. Not the greatest atmosphere, but better than having to go out looking for something. Breakfast was better.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BridgetOzzie

Thank you for this great review, Bridget. I'm happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us, although I'm sorry you weren't so impressed with our restaurant atmosphere. Next time, feel free to ask any of our staff for suggestions on restaurants, they'd be more than happy to offer recommendations. I hope you'll think of us again on your next visit to Los Gatos!

Take care,

#2 of 2 in Saratoga
The Inn at Saratoga
The Inn at Saratoga
#1 of 2 in Saratoga

Been to Los Gatos Lodge? Share your experiences!