“A really nice place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Los Osos
San Francisco, California, United States
“A really nice place”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I picked this up on groupon as a place to stay on our way home from LA and I'm glad we did. For the price it's a steal. Large lovely room, immaculate, that opens onto an ocean view. And ignore the comments about the wifi, it works beautifully and the girl at the front desk couldn't have been sweeter.

Room Tip: All the rooms are large and pretty and ocean easy acsess
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kathleen H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hebrew first
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Wow - just read the last two reviews and I'm wondering if the reviewers compared the cost of this hotel with what they were expecting to receive. My husband and I used a Groupon special as well - one night in a king room with a gorgeous view of Morro Bay and Morro Rock. It also included 9 holes of golf and a meal (full meal - not a hotel continental breakfast) at the restaurant on the grounds. All this for less than the Econo-Lodge in Paso Robles for the same night. I'm totally mystified why people pay bargain prices and expect a 5 star experience.

Here's what's great about Sea Pines... The views - wow! The rock, the bay, the sandspit, the hills rolling toward Montana de Oro. All rooms have balconies or patios. Rooms come equipped with GLASS stemless wine glasses. Fireplace is lovely for foggy evenings and mornings. Waterfall jacuzzi is heavenly - spotlessly clean and with plenty of lounge chairs to boot.

The golf - not Pebble Beach - but we could stay a month here for the greens fees at Pebble Beach. Perfectly decent fairways and greens (well, # 7 is a bit bumpy but hey!). Gorgeous views of Morro Bay and Morro Rock to make you forget the missed shots...

The Grill - halibut dishes are EXcellent - seriously. I had the sauteed filet with panko crumbs and my hubby had the fried with chips. Good service, very nice "local watering hole" feel.

Back to the other complaints - front desk personnel - no, they did not graduate from the Cornell school of hotel management. But they responded kindly to our kindly requests - can't ask for more than that.

The "resort" fee? Well, yes, that needs to go away. An $8.95 fee that just irritates people who think they were supposed to be at a Four Seasons. And maybe it should be named the Sea Pines Ranch or some such - just to keep the folks away who think that they can get a Ritz Carlton "resort" for Comfort Inn prices....

We've already booked our next stay at Sea Pines - can't wait!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VenturaPLT
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at this "resort" August 5-7, 2014 using the Groupon for the regular room. Like other reviews say, it is definitely not a "resort" and can barely call itself a hotel. Aside from being short-staffed, the front desk seemed indifferent at best, but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt since I know they were overwhelmed. (Although how you can be overwhelmed with so few rooms and on a Tuesday is beyond me.)
After assuring us that the room was clean at check-in, we came to find at 10:30 PM upon being about to retire to bed that there was no fitted sheet on the mattress, only a loose sheet draped over, exposing a felt mattress pad covered in hair. After having the front desk come bring us a new sheet and showing her the hair, she replied that the loose sheet she brought was designed to "protect us from that". Um, no, how about actually cleaning your rooms?
When I pulled the sheets back upon her departure to attempt to put down the new clean sheet she just brought us, I discovered the sheets had hair all over them and that the bed had only been made but not actually cleaned. When I called to tell the front desk this, she sounded surprised that I would need "more sheets than she had already given us". I had to ASK to be switched to a different room. She was able to accommodate the request and my boyfriend and I had to hastily pack and move to the new room with all of our things. We were given no apology. Upon check-out, they had charged me the full amount even though I already had paid for my Groupons. The same front desk woman complained that she didn't know how to charge for the Groupons and had to request the manager. The manager arrived, saying she had been busy cleaning rooms since they were short-staffed. She credited the amount back to my card but it took a week to go through after their full charge was already taken. I regret paying event he Groupon amount and the "resort" fee is a joke. Would not recommend this motel-like place to ANYONE EVER. Avoid.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Los Osos hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I spent two night at this "Resort". The name resort really doesn't reflect the condition of this place. Rooms were cleans, however, this resort does not have amenities that usually comes with a "resort" such as a fitness or wellness center or a pool. WIFI didn't work.This place charges a Resort fee, which is ridiculous , given the lack of amenities. Apparently, the fee include the unlimited DVD rental from the hotel library. Bottom line, this is more like a Motel with the name Resort in its title.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank austin r
California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I, along with our two small dogs, stayed at the Sea Pines 3 nights last week. We liked having a restaurant on grounds and a table and chairs in the room to eat takeout meals. The food tended to be over-cooked (4 meals) but the convenience was great. The dogs liked the many grassy areas and I located a walking trail behind the hotel. Take Solano St south (it turns into Howard Ave) then take a left on Fresno st., cross Monarch Lane and on the right is a dirt path called Butterfly Lane (see photo below). If you go north on Solano it dead ends. There is a path there but a "no dogs" sign is posted. There is also a sign saying there may be un-exploded ordnance there. About a mile or so away (and dog friendly) is a nature preserve on Ramona Ave worth visiting, especially around sunset (also see photo below). I should add that Morro Bay, just north, is also a very dog friendly town with a terrific beach by the rock.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WStaso
seapinesgolfer, General Manager at Sea Pines Golf Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hello and Thank you for your kind review of the property and the local area.
Sea Pines prides itself with being a pet friendly property.
Happy Travels with your pets and we hope to see you return for another getaway to the central coast with your dog's..
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went to the Sea Pines Golf Resort for a one night stop in between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
We choose it because it split the path in two, but also because of the price. After good search in the area, we came tot the conclusion that it was the best one.

The service was really good, and the room clean and very big. In was also quiet.
The room could use of a good transformation to this decade. And having a little recycling bin in the room would be great.

We would go back on a further trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank decla1983
Thank you for the nice comments about Sea Pines Resort..
WOke staff tries hard veryday to put forth a comfortable stay, play, or dine experience for all our guests.
A perfect stopping point half way between LA and SF is heard quite often here at Sea Pines.
Thanks , and we hope to see you return to the property soon.
san francisco
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This "resort" is a hidden gem. The rooms are very nice and reasonable. It is surrounded by a lush 9-hole executive golf course in excellent shape (they have their own water), and is fun for all ages and experience-unhurried and not pushy. Also on site is a great bar and grill that serves delicious and plentiful food which is a bargain for the price. I've been here twice with my wife and will return, next time to try out their golf course!

Room Tip: No need for a fireplace room unless it's middle of winter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gleneagleace
seapinesgolfer, Manager at Sea Pines Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi there gleneagleace,
Thank you for your nice review on trip advisor.
Sea Pines and the Staff try very hard to provide a comfortable home town feel to the property for our guests. The word we here and try to put in play most is comfortable...
Hope to see you in the future, but I wanted to take the time to say thanks,

Gary Setting PGA
#3 of 29 in Morro Bay
Harbor House Inn
Harbor House Inn
#9 of 29 in Morro Bay

Been to Sea Pines Golf Resort? Share your experiences!