My family and I wanted to camp over the long weekend and wanted to be near the river so after checking out tripadvisor, I decided Camp Lotus may be a nice place. It is close to Marshall Gold Discovery Park and right next to the American River. Here are the good and bad of Camp Lotus:
Yes, it is very close to the state park and the American River. The state park is about 2 miles away and a very easy drive. The American River is right on the property; cool and refreshing for a late May day.
One bathroom building was clean - the other - used by all the rafters and non-overnighters were filthy.
Showers were relatively clean.
1. The camp is only 2 real beaches you can go to - most of the time it is inundated by rafters and kayakers who pay lots of money so they could care less about taking up space while you are on the beach or trying to get to the river.
2. The camp is a stopping point for many rafting companies who pull their large vehicles with rafts and kayaks on to the lot. The guests also park their cars in the lots so it's basically a very busy, noisy, dusty lot for them.
3. We were unfortunate to have camp site A, which is next to the Group Camp site B; basically making "A", grand central station. I asked to be moved and the management refused; but help by putting up a line to cordon off the area a bit. However, I have a feeling the patrons of the rafting compnies, esp. Action Whitewater, don't camp so they don't recognize, or even care that they are walking into our campsite. They even went underneath the line to go through our camp! I had to literally yell at over 20 people that they needed to go around.
4. The noise level is very high. Again, the AWA, did not abide by the quiet hours but talked into the night with their music. A little after 10pm, I talked to the young person in charge and he help quiet them down a little, however, there was absolutely no courtesy for others as they kept on talking into the late night. This is not "quiet" behavior to me.
5. The next day, my son asked if we could leave early since we saw more and more people going through our campsite. I didn't relish another wakeful night so we packed up and checked out at the store.
6. Although I didn't expect it, I asked for my one night's money back. Of course they didn't give it. So I said that they need to not rent out "A" when "B" was packed with so many people. The person replied (I think she was the owner) said that many people liked "A" and she seemed dumbfounded that we didn't like the site.
I guess I'm use to more courteous visitors at state and national parks so this experience to me, was very bad. I will never go back there again and I will never recommend the place. I think the management needs to figure out that not everyone likes a party atmosphere with drinking and talk about DUIs and drugs on their camping trip as the party at the Action Whitewater talked about all afternoon, evening and night. Although the actions are not the fault of the managment, they should have tried harder to allow me to move somewhere quieter.