“Not relaxing, noisy, too many people!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camp Lotus

Camp Lotus
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lotus
Camp Lotus
El Cerrito, CA
“Not relaxing, noisy, too many people!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My family and I wanted to camp over the long weekend and wanted to be near the river so after checking out tripadvisor, I decided Camp Lotus may be a nice place. It is close to Marshall Gold Discovery Park and right next to the American River. Here are the good and bad of Camp Lotus:
Good:
Yes, it is very close to the state park and the American River. The state park is about 2 miles away and a very easy drive. The American River is right on the property; cool and refreshing for a late May day.
One bathroom building was clean - the other - used by all the rafters and non-overnighters were filthy.
Showers were relatively clean.
Bad:
1. The camp is only 2 real beaches you can go to - most of the time it is inundated by rafters and kayakers who pay lots of money so they could care less about taking up space while you are on the beach or trying to get to the river.
2. The camp is a stopping point for many rafting companies who pull their large vehicles with rafts and kayaks on to the lot. The guests also park their cars in the lots so it's basically a very busy, noisy, dusty lot for them.
3. We were unfortunate to have camp site A, which is next to the Group Camp site B; basically making "A", grand central station. I asked to be moved and the management refused; but help by putting up a line to cordon off the area a bit. However, I have a feeling the patrons of the rafting compnies, esp. Action Whitewater, don't camp so they don't recognize, or even care that they are walking into our campsite. They even went underneath the line to go through our camp! I had to literally yell at over 20 people that they needed to go around.
4. The noise level is very high. Again, the AWA, did not abide by the quiet hours but talked into the night with their music. A little after 10pm, I talked to the young person in charge and he help quiet them down a little, however, there was absolutely no courtesy for others as they kept on talking into the late night. This is not "quiet" behavior to me.
5. The next day, my son asked if we could leave early since we saw more and more people going through our campsite. I didn't relish another wakeful night so we packed up and checked out at the store.
6. Although I didn't expect it, I asked for my one night's money back. Of course they didn't give it. So I said that they need to not rent out "A" when "B" was packed with so many people. The person replied (I think she was the owner) said that many people liked "A" and she seemed dumbfounded that we didn't like the site.

I guess I'm use to more courteous visitors at state and national parks so this experience to me, was very bad. I will never go back there again and I will never recommend the place. I think the management needs to figure out that not everyone likes a party atmosphere with drinking and talk about DUIs and drugs on their camping trip as the party at the Action Whitewater talked about all afternoon, evening and night. Although the actions are not the fault of the managment, they should have tried harder to allow me to move somewhere quieter.

Room Tip: DO NOT camp at SITE A! They said they sent a map of their campsite but I didn't see it - I saw o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EastBayMomof2

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Let me just start by saying the employees need a lesson in customer service! I have camped there at least four times in the last 10 years. We just returned from our last trip in which we camped with RVs for five nights. On the last evening of our visit we were approached by another camper and asked to turn down music (it was 930pm). We complied, but apparently not to their liking. We respected the quiet hours (10pm) and all were inside our rigs by 1040 pm. The following morning, one member of our group was told we had had several complaints. She explained to staff what had taken place and we thought that was the end of it....Not! As we were packing up I was then approached in campsite by same employee. She said she had received complaints. I gave the same explanation to her as my fellow camper, however she was determined to make an argument out of it. Finally, my husband upon overhearing her put an end to the conversation (and not nicely). Another camper, in the site right next to us then came over and was just as astounded as we were with the employee's behavior. We asked if we had been too loud and she said that we had been fine and no one in their large group felt we had been disruptive.
I would like to add that my group consisted of four middle aged adults (all college educated and some in law enforcement) and three kids 12 and under (our grandkids). We are not the rowdy type by any means!
No matter how nice the campground is we will never return. We will take our business elsewhere where it will be appreciated and hopefully the employees will treat people courteously!

• Stayed July 2013
      Rooms
2 Thank kkm62
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was a perfect location for doing the whitewater kayaking classes only 3 miles away. The campsites are rather large for tent camping and very affordable. It was only $33 for a weekend day and $24 for a weekday (even though it was Memorial Day weekend).

Their quiet hours are reasonable and the fire pits are the perfect size for cooking on. I only got 3 mosquito bites the entire weekend, which is amazing, and the staff is very knowledgeable about the surrounding towns, i.e. where to go out for a meal or buy fresh kabobs for grilling.

Great campsite overall!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Vogueme6
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed at Camp Lotus on a Thursday night to go rafting with W.E.T. River Trips the next day. It was so nice. Individual camping sites, clean bathrooms, a gazillion stars in the night sky. We enjoyed the fire pit and quiet.....(Thursday night). The raft company meets at camp Lotus which adds convenience to the list. We went in August and I am still trying to find a reason to get back there. If you're going to be in the area anyway for the evening, don't miss out on this awesome campground. ALSO, the prices are really good. $8./ person with a minimum of $24/ night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie M
San Simeon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is a very well organized campground in an extraordinarily beautiful location. The staff was efficient and friendly. We visited on a very busy holiday weekend and I was impressed with how everything was handled in an organized yet polite fashion. The staff ensured that quiet hours were adhered to. I will certainly return!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
ChCe1234
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Rafting, Hiking, you can do it all in Lotus. Camp Lotus turned out to be a great stay. Quiet, clean, and convenient accommodations. We will definitely be heading back, and hopefully be doing some rafting this time.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChCe1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lotus
Historic Cary House Hotel
Historic Cary House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Placerville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Placerville Inn
Bella Vista Bed & Breakfast Inc.
Villa Florentina
Villa Florentina
#1 of 3 in Coloma
Eden Vale Inn
Eden Vale Inn
#1 of 9 in Placerville

Been to Camp Lotus? Share your experiences!