“Terrible... dont assume that what you book is what you get.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino

Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Calgary, Canada
“Terrible... dont assume that what you book is what you get.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Don't waste your money... and don't assume that what you book is what you get.

We went here on a silent auction "Romance Package" that I paid $400 for (but it went to a great cause). We were to receive a Jacuzzi suite, but they didn't have one available when I called. So, we were given a fireplace suite.

When we arrived we couldn't find the fireplace. Lino, the manager said it was in the other room. lol. He was to come up and show us. When Lino arrived, he said there was a mix up in the rooms and there were no fireplace suites available. I explained how we were supposed to have a Jucuzzi suite, downgraded to a fireplace suite, and now downgraded to a no suite. He said, " I am going to do something VERY SPECIAL for you guys. Sorry for the mix up." Well, nothing special ever came. When we checked out, nothing special there either. Shame on you Lino.

The bed was comfortable and the housekeeping staff should be complimented. The furniture was outdated and damaged. Do not expect a good night's sleep however, because this is a casino hotel and there are several people in the halls yelling at all times during the night.

We went to the "Prime Rib Buffet". All in all a good selection of foods and quite tasty.

We did stop at the casino but left shortly due to a lot of cigarette smoke. There was no area that was non-smoking.

We did go to the breakfast buffet, but it was not good. It cost $13.99/pp. Eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage were on the hot menu... but it was all cold. No microwave to heat it up either. There was a variety of fruits available as well as bagels, cereals, toast.

When we checked out I asked if there was "SOMETHING SPECIAL" waiting for us... she said unfortunately no. I told her the hotel and Lino failed by my review, explaining everything politely but honestly. I did tell her I was going to write a review on Tripadvisor... she told me that was fine.... so I thanked her. lol.

All in all, this hotel is overpriced and unfortunately the hotel cannot be expected to live up to their promises.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank pumpkinpiecote
Stoney Nakoda R... M, Manager at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Agreed, I failed terribly. This is not a good feeling, I would like to make this up to you, I do have a special offer for you. Can you please call me at 403-609-5093. It would be great to talk with you. LINO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Lloydminster, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Front desk very friendly. Rooms were dirty. Stayed at this hotel on several occasions and will never stay again.... How many chances does a hotel need? Paid the bill and found charges put on our card after we checked out. After several calls and no explanation why? Not one returned call! Had two rooms - neither of them cleaned properly ... One full of dogs pee again! I won't even get into the restaurant experience... Wow. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Stoneyno

Travellers are raving about these Kananaskis Country hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We arrived at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino with a flat tire. The ladies at the desk were quick to help us, and Greg from Maintenance helped put air in our donut, plus called a tire place in Canmore for us. A 10/10 for service, thank you for your help! Greg and team are awesome! There is great staff at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I had my 40th Bday party here and the service was amazing! I had a block of hotel rooms reserved at a great rate! plus I ended up with a heck of a deal on the Sky Lounge for the evening, which included a pool table, golf simulator and poker table. Julie (the restaurant manager and our server for the evening) was so amazing! I would definatley recommend parties here! Thanks Stoney for the great overnight!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicole C
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our family finally decided to book a room at this resort because we saw this place in 2012 and was very impressed with the surroundings and food that was presented at their dining room. So we took the plunge and decided to book a room. It was the Family day weekend and next we will book on a regular weekend. The exterior and interior of the building was fresh and modern.

Rooms were very clean, well appointed, high ceilings, spacious and our room had a great view. The beds were comfortable and clean plus the room had a large, flat TV and mini-fridge. Bathroom had a separate space for a shower, bathtub, toilet and sink. We were on the second floor so as you walk down the hallway half of the rooms is smoking and the other half is non-smoking. They also allow pets which surprised us.

They had a swimming pool, water slide, hot tub and a small fitness room. It was windy this night so the pool was not warm at all. They had a casino but we did not take advantage of it (not really our style).

Because our expectations were met so far, we decided to have dinner at their restaurant called Peaks Cafe. This particular weekend they served a Family Day dinner buffet which was absolutely disgusting and low quality. They could not keep up with the demand that food kept running out. The areas were not clean and presentable. When they refilled their stations it was just simply dumped as if they did not care. Service was poor and disorganized. It was such a disappointment there are no words for this.

However, we were still hungry so we ordered room service and the food we received was very presentable, hot and tasty (total opposite from our dining experience). And the person who delivered our food was super friendly and professional.

Also have to note that our curtains was splattered with a substance, so we called the front desk to have them check it and even changed it if possible. Housekeeper and Lino (even during their busy time), came to our room, looked at it and changed our curtains immediately. Prior to this, Rocky (front desk person) saw us in the hallway, ensured our room was ready and gave us a warm welcome into our room. The housekeeping team must be wonderful as our rooms were very clean including all the areas at the resort. Kudos to them! Then lastly, have to mention the manager (Jim). When we checked out, we gave them our feedback of our experience. We were very surprise as he looked for us, found us and took the time to speak with us and apologize for our experience at their dining room. Very impressive service! Would we go back? Yes and we do recommend this place to anyone. It is a beautiful getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marites8
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I read all of these reviews before I went there last weekend for 2 nights and the first thing I would like to say is that the negative comments about this place are far from the truth. Drove there in 30 minutes exactly from Calgary and when the scenery got breathtaking was when BAM we were there. Hotel looked modest, nice and the scenery as I said was stunning. Was there at 1:45PM and went to see if we could check in and no problem at all. Wonderful staff at the front made you feel welcomed and truthfully excited to be there. Next stop our room 391, and please keep in mind that I read these reviews about worn down and roof leaking etc, well let me tell you that our room was AWESOME, CLEAN beautiful beds AMAZING BATHROOM that had a large separate shower and it's own bath tub and lot's of room. Even the side furniture in the room was elegant. Best part though was the view from our mountain view room.
Was there for a family gathering which included my partner and his parents, sister and her kids.
They were all on the 4th floor as they smoke and as I said earlier I would be completely honest, their rooms were great, ours was nicer and was more esthetically pleasing but seriously what do you expect now a days when you get a room that has been smoked in over and over, it's not going to be perfect but for the price who in their right mind could complain.
Had breakfast, prime rib buffet, sun night buffet and all was delicious. Went to the pool and for the first time in years my partner and I went down the slide and swam and had an AMAZING time all while you can see mountains out of every window at the pool. Kids were happier than we have seen them in a long time. Went to the casino us adults at night and had a wonderful time with good laughs and lucky for some a few big wins.
Checked out and and met one of the kindest gentleman ever whom made sure that our experience was as good as we wanted it to be. Only downfall not even one that would detour me was that the pizza we ordered on sun night they had lost the chid so we had a pretty big wait and due to the fact that the kitchen was closed it wasn't exactly perfect but again I am not complaining as everything else was amazing!!
We will be back more than they can imagine due to the fact that we had one of the best weekends ever there and I will gloat and rave about this place to anyone whom will listed. I have already told the 1200 plus people I work with about this hidden gem and I plan to do even more advertising! I think they should hire me to promote and there is not a soul that can convince me that this is not the BEST DEAL, BEST TIMES and BEST SERVICE I have ever had. Nothing is perfect my friends and we all know that, so please take my advice and book a room so you can see what I do!!!! Happy travels!!! Code word for me and the kind man that checked us out:The Pizza Boy!! LOL

Room Tip: If you don't smoke than pick a different floor from the 4th one.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Shawn M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Spent the weekend at the hotel and it was 100% fantastic. A group of us used the gold simulator and the service was excellent and outside of not winning huge at the Casino I could not have had a better time. The price was excellent and the Manager Lino made the trip and absolute pleasure he bent over backwards to make sure our group had everything we needed

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stoney Nakoda R... M, Manager at Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you very much for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything went well. We'd love to have you back to try your luck again in the casino.