“The experience of a lifetime!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kananaskis Country
Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Sydney,
“The experience of a lifetime!”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

As full-time professional horse people we travelled from Australia to do the 2 day backcountry trip from Kananaskis with Brewsters. Our guide Ron was fantastic, the horses well cared for and effective and the scenery was to die for. The horses were always first to be given water at all possible stops and their welfare was always considered as a proirity. The cabins were the most basic you can imagine but then again what do you want from this type of trip? If you want to stay in a Hilton, hire a lear jet. All we can say is this was a trip of a lifetime and we will always treasure it. Thanks Ron and team. Please don't read this in conjunction with the Ranch reviews as we only did the 2 day ride.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We had a golf tournament at Brewster's Kananaskis Golf Course in August 2010. We arranged this months in advance for a large group of 25+ people. When we finished our round of golf and got ready to give out the prizes in their lounge we were literally kicked out of the room. The owner approached us, fuming mad, claiming we hadn't notified her we wanted to use the room and was extremely upset because we had some bags of chips and doritoes for people to snack on while they waited for everyone to get off the course. Why would we book a golf tournament there, complete with food and drinks provided by the clubhouse and *not* expect to use the lounge (this was our 4th year here and the previous 3 years was never a problem). We had to take our party "outside" to the picnic tables because the owner was loudly complaining that 30 women (another tournament?) was going to use the room. We had lunch, gave out our prizes, etc, over a period of 90 mins outside... while the lounge sat empty (the mysterious 30 women never showed). Needless to say we won't be booking here again and we'll be telling all our friends and relatives of the rude treatment we received.

• Stayed August 2010
8 Thank DHSS

Travellers are raving about these Kananaskis Country hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I recently booked a golf outing at the Kananaskis guest ranch. Unlike the previous post, the golf was a fabulous experience. The course is in a beautiful location, is extremely challenging, and was in great shape. The speed of play was fine -- we never had to wait -- but it wasn't rushed either. Unfortunately, I had booked to stay overnight in one of the chalets. As soon as I opened the door, the room smelled musty. It was extremely dark. The orange carpet in the main bedroom was only outdone by the yellow and green lino (with the cigarette burn by the bathrub) in the bathroom. No phone, no TV, no dining facilities, and very little hot water. Although the bathroom appeared clean enough, my overall impression was so overwhelmingly negative that I just couldn't stay there. My advice -- golf and then head to Calgary, Canmore, or Banff to stay the night.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Luv_to_Travel062_10
calgary
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Don't bother bringing your clubs. We golfed with a group of 6 ahead of us. The marshall came around twice in the first hole and at the third hole when we asked what was going on he told us that it was a mini tournament and he would ask them to have us play through. They didn't and we didn't see the marshall again until we finished the first nine. We had to wait on every hole except the first and nineth. When I went to the office at the end of our game the lady at the reception pawned me off to a man who defended the idea of having 6 people on a time. He seemed scared of them and I guess that he is there to get free golf rather than do the job of making golfing a pleasure for the majority.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank covepark
UK
Reviewed 3 August 2008

My friend and I went on a 4 day pack ride. It was just the two of us (girls) with our guide 'Stu'. We had the experience of a lifetime. Our camp had been trashed by a black bear when we arrived on night one. The bear came back to visit again and again throughout the evening, night and next morning. We listened to him trying to break in to the main hut with the kitchen in it all night. Our guide was very protective and did all he could to keep us safe. I understand black bears are not known to eat people, unlike grizzly bears! The horses were in great condition, the scenery and tranquility were amazing. In all it was the experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't have changed a thing except the 'sore butt' maybe!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank goateveryopportunity
Minnesota
Reviewed 1 August 2006

After profuse apologies from the manager that the owner would not be able to accompany us on our trip due to another business venture, we were sent with a guide who had been on the mountain once before, in reverse. Miraculously, we did arrive at our destinations each of the two nights we spent on the adventure, but got lost repeatedly each day.

The second day, in 91 degree heat, our horses didn't get water for 15 hours. We rode them for about 7 of those hours, pushing them up and down long, steep slopes without taking a break. To portray the general attitude of our guide, my husband's horse got kicked in the side by our guide for rubbing its face on the guide's shoulder when he was tying it to a tree during lunch. The same day, he parked mine in the sun: My horse was black. The last day, we were just plain lost an hour after departure.

As the guide's tension rose on the last day, he ended up making a desperate decision to take us up a 2-foot wide dry creekbed for 2 hours where we had to hug the horses so we wouldn't get nailed by all of the sharp, thick branches. It was so rough that one of the faltering packhorses came back with 1-inch square patches of skin missing from its neck, up by its ear. He was a very experienced horseman, but not at all familiar with the mountain or trails. Keep in mind, the trails are not marked, our guide did not have a map, nor did he have a compass. We bought a map after the fact and realized that one of the trails the guide was thinking about taking us on was a "Climber's Only" route. Three people ended up with torn tack and my husband's saddle bags were ripped in half. We never did make it back to the ranch.

At 6:45 p.m. on the last day (we were supposed to be back mid-afternoon), I had to threaten to shoot off one of my flares for the trip to stop. We went to the newspaper, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, as well as the Provincial Parks guide licensure bureau, to no avail. Be absolutely certain that you ask a lot of questions about the waiver you sign before departure. You sign at the bottom, but, yes, the only separate box you must initial within the waiver pertains exclusively to the guide.

Be sure the guide is experienced, and, most importantly, experienced on that particular trail/mountain. The sanitary conditions of the accomodations on the trail deserve separate mention as well: They're disgusting. I'm an experienced backpacker, so I'm not afraid of dirt or lack of showers. I just prefer not to have flies all over my food and I am not fond of gray bed pillows. I admit that the horses were the best I've ever ridden and the scenery was remarkable, but the treatment they received on this trip was absolutely nightmarish. The treatment we've received has been entirely dismissive.

Trust me, we are not neophytes to horseback riding. This was just plain wrong. I'm hoping for my own sanity that this was a one-time mistake and that it will never be repeated (for other guest's sake as well as the horse's). I think the owner was in a business bind and hope this was a fluke. I just wish they'd be more forthcoming.

• Stayed June 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank AdventureGatherer
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2004

In July of 2004, we headed out on a 4 day holiday on horseback called Brewster Mountain Pack Trains. We left from Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch to spend 3 nights in 2 different remote cabins. The horseback riding is not for the unfit or the faint of heart! The first and last days are long rides (6-7 hours in the saddle). Beginners can manage as the horses are carefully selected but only if they are physically fit beginners. Problems: A water canteen is omitted from the list of things to bring and the outhouse at the first camp was in rough shape. The guide, cook, and my horse were excellent, the cabins were good. The scenery was spectacular. You feel like you've experienced a bit of the real cowboy life after a bit of roughing it with horses in the Canadian Rockies.

8 Thank SGB_Cochrane
Elk + Avenue Hotel
#13 of 32 in Banff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,127 reviews
Moose Hotel and Suites

Been to Brewster's Kananaskis Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!