“Great location and grizzlies right outside the door!”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Whitehorse, Yukon
“Great location and grizzlies right outside the door!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Recent stay for a business meeting and although my reservation was not on their file (suspect that was not the hotel's fault) the man at the desk went out of his way to accommodate me - confirmed the group rate that I was supposed to be registered under, gave me an upgraded room (really nice - almost a suite. The interior of the hotel is a bit dated but the bed was comfy, the linens and towels great, nice soaps and lotions. In room coffee and a mini-fridge was very nice addition. I was in the main lodge and it is huge so lots of walking to get to the room from the elevator.
The bonus was a trio of young grizzlies that were cruising the area around the hotel in full view of the lobby - eating dandelions the evening I arrived. Beautiful bears.
Meals provided by the hotel were quite nice. The village really consists only of hotels and shopping in the hotel - there are half a dozen shops with typical souvenirs, women's clothing and jewelry. There is a sports store that rents gear and has some nice higher end clothing. Also a convenience store with various foods and sundries.
Parking for the hotel is a bit of a walk from the lobby so you want to have a rolling suitcase unless you choose to use the pay parking.
The room rate was pretty reasonable for the conference I was attending but the regular rate plus parking puts it into the range where I would have to think twice before staying here for a holiday - though the staff were really pleasant - I was greeted by everyone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank muklukmary
Delta K, Social Media Coordintaor at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate our guests taking the time to provide feedback that assists us in our goal of exceeding our guests' expectations.

I'm glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Social Media Coordinator/EA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have stayed here for two nights. Great place to stay. They complimentary upgraded me to nice room with great view. They have super friendly staff specially Britney at the front desk, Mike and other person on the guest services (his name was JAN....) They were super friendly and helpful. Big Horn lounge is great place to have drinks and nice food. We ordered room service too which was fast and again great food. I should say thank you to house keeping as well. Room was super clean. Please pass my appreciation to above staff members. They have nice swimming pool and hot tub. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jayvashi
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful review with us! We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Social Media Coordinator/EA
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have been visiting the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis for over 20 years. Have either gone as just a couple, with my family, or with a large group (sports car club drives). The Sunday brunch has always been a highlight. Unfortunately this brunch has changed. On past visits the food/table area has encompassed a large area of the dining room and at times has even been place in the hallway. This past Father's Day the brunch was placed into a small corner of the dining room and as a result line ups were long. A look over the offerings showed far less choices than before. We choose to leave and drive to Banff for brunch.
Staff were very helpful and pleasant and explained that the brunch offerings were recently revised but the number of items remained the same. Despite this statement I did not see this.
I hope the Sunday brunch improves and we can return and enjoy the lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CalgaryStig
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I wrote a review on September 22, 2013 to express my disappointment about a
Romance getaway package I had booked for my son and his new wife for their wedding night. (They had been given a a loft suite in Mount Kidd which had seen better days and was in need of renovation instead of the suite described for the romance getaway. Service had also been very disappointing as well) I also spoke to someone at the lodge about this. In response my son was given a voucher for the Romance weekend to be used at future time and a promise that they could expect a much improved experience.

They have just retuned from their second experience and shared that their suite met our original expectations. It was clean and updated and met the description outlined. Staff went above expectations to make sure that their stay was positive and memorable. They said they had a wonderful get away and want to return again. Based on their report, my husband and I are thinking that we might book a get away for our anniversary in the future.

Thank you for responding to my concerns on Sept 22 and doing such a good job of making up for our disappointment.

Room Tip: Make sure you are getting one of the renovated rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 104Marg
Delta K, Social Media Coordintaor at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback based on your family's recent stay. I'm pleased to learn they enjoyed their stay in Kananaskis with us.

We look forward to welcoming them back, and hope we can be part of your upcoming anniversary celebration!

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

in the mountains with fresh air, scenery and wildlife what better place to relax and unwind. Looked out my window in morning to find deer grazing on the grass. What a wonderful picture, it is my mind forever

Room Tip: suite in out building was quiet with balcony looking into trees
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fred H
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. I'm glad to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A few days ago, I wrote and submitted a review about the poor quality of the buffet food served at the Delta Lodge. Regretfully, before submitting the previous review (which I have since requested to be removed), I should have contacted the Hotel's General Manager (Mr. Dan DeSantis) to express my family's disappointment and share our dining experience.

I contacted Mr. DeSantis via email and a telephone call. He was very polite, pleasant, and empathetic when addressing my concerns on behalf of the family. Mr. DeSantis's customer service skills were exceptional and he insured that the issues were resolved to my satisfaction. He apologized for the inadequacies and offered full restitution for all costs incurred by our family. I cannot express my pleasant surprise to the manner in which my concerns were promptly and efficiently dealt with by him.

Today (June 12/14) I contacted Mr. DeSantis via email and a telephone call to offer my apologies for hastily submitting the initial review before contacting him to express my concerns to seek resolution.

My entire family has visited the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis numerous times in the past - with each visit being memorable and enjoyable. I can honestly say that no problems were encountered prior to this latest time of dining at the buffet - thus, a few moments of being upset will not deter my family and relatives from again visiting this welcoming place.

Again, thank you Mr Dan DeSantis for all your help! My family and I will again visit in the near future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank S S
Delta K, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide an updated review - I look forward to welcoming you back.

Dan DeSantis
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband, daughter and I have been staying at this hotel for many years now and consider it in the same light that you would think of an old friend - the overall relationship compensates for the occasional glitch. We first stayed there in 2006 when we were participating in the Kananaskis 100 running relay. Since then, we have stayed there when participating in the Cookie Loppet cross-country ski race, for many ski weekends (we like to combine a day of cross-country skiing and a day of downhill at Nakiska), and even over New Year's a couple of years ago. This place has everything going for it - lovely location, consistently good staff and a beautiful venue. They are close to the cross-country ski trails in Peter Lougheed Park and there are even some trails right on the hotel property that are always well-groomed and quite under-used. The food in the restaurants is great and the indoor/outdoor pool is consistently a highlight. We always look forward to time here and have recommended it to many friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Delta K, Social Media Coordintaor at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful review! We're honored to be included in so many of your families adventures and memories.

We look forward to welcoming you back!