“Waste of money, an embarrassment”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After using our AMA Gold card for a discount, a single room cost almost $270 for one night - way too pricey for basic accommodation with no perks. The room had no A/C and was stifling hot through the night. The hotel offered a buffet breakfast for "only" $22 per person - totally not worth it since food quality was very poor and the selection was limited. You're better off sleeping in your car and eating granola bars for breakfast. Since so many tourists from around the world come to this area, this is an embarrassment to Canada.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
david_keam, Director of Operations at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Good Day;

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis. I apologize you felt that our rooms were over-priced. We do offer a variety of rooms with different amenities and at different prices here at the resort.

Unfortunately, as you'll see in other reviews, we do have some rooms that do not include air conditioning. We are a mountain resort that does not experience hot weather and our evenings are almost always quite cool. As well, this year we have experienced some unusually high temperatures. Our newly renovated rooms in our Signature Club building do have air conditioning as well as some of the suites in the Main Lodge Building.

In addition to the buffet in the Fireweed Grill there are also a la carte options. Obsessions Deli opens at 7:00am and features a variety of grab and go options including muffins, fruit, house made parfaits and a selection of breakfast sandwiches. Guests who stay in the Signature Club also have the option of a complimentary continental breakfast served in the Signature Club Lounge.

Thank you for choosing to stay at out hotel. Once again, please accept my apologies for the issues that you encountered and we hope to be able to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

David Keam
Director of Operations
Delta Lodge at Kananakis
403-591-6245

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband, dad, and I stayed at the Lodge for my cousin's wedding. The lodge itself is beautiful! However, for $210 per night, we thought there would be air conditioning however that is not the case. When we got to our room, it was ridiculously hot. I called the front desk and asked how to adjust the air and they said there wasn't air conditioning but there was a fan in the closet and the windows open (the one window opened just a smidge) and it was +32 out. It didn't do much, we ended up having a ask for another one. On the day of the wedding, with all three of us getting ready and my blow drying my hair and the iron plugged in and so on, it was so hot in there we were all sweating, very uncomfortable! Not a way you want to show up to a wedding but we had to make do. When I called to ask if we could get a room with air conditioning, the lady told me it was an upgrade of $55 per person, per night. Crazy!

The other issue was the service at the front desk (through the phone). Because they wont give out room numbers, you have to call the front desk to be transferred to another guest. The day we arrived, we were trying to get in contact with my other family members that we hadn't yet met up with to find out their room numbers. I waited just shy of 20 minutes on the phone trying to get a hold of the front desk. Once someone answered, I asked why there was such a wait and she told me, "You have to understand that I need to serve the customers at the front desk and on the phone." I think if I am paying $210 per night, someone should be answering my calls in less than 2 minutes, not 20, especially for a wedding destination.

After completing a survey for the hotel, I received an email from a manager there and he asked if we could discuss my experience and I was very open to this. He asked me to call long distance but unfortunately I don't have a plan to call long distance so asked hi to contact me during a certain time. He did but unfortunately I was on a work call, he left a message saying he would call back. I emailed him when I was off the phone telling him I was now free. It is now a week later and the call was never returned.

As stated before, the wedding and the grounds were beautiful but the rooms and the service was left to be desired. I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Good Day;

Thank you again for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the issues that you encountered.

Although we do have rooms with air conditioning in our newly renovated Signature Club, our standard rooms in the Main Lodge do not have air conditioning. The mountains do not usually see temperatures in the 30's and our evenings are still quite cool. I apologize that you were unable to get comfortable in your room.

The upgrade quoted would have been to move you into the Signature Club. In addition to air conditioning, the Signature Club features newly renovated Mode rooms, complimentary continental breakfast in the morning and hors d'oeuvres in the evening.

I will continue to try to contact you to discuss your experience. I apologize that I was away from the hotel for several days this past week. Once again, I thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay at our hotel.

Kind Regards,

David Keam
Director of Operations
Delta Lodge at Kananaskis

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The lodge staff helpful and friendly and accommodations in the loft room very roomy but somewhat dated. No there is no AC but the nights cooled off and with the patio doors open and the ceiling fan upstairs it was comfortable. This was the first and only hotel that offered dog sitting for 3 hrs for 15.00 donation to humane society. Also they would accommodate you for housekeeping to fit you and your pets schedule. Must be why lots of guests had dogs with them and it didn't seem to pose problems. I would stay again!

Stayed: July 2014
Delta K, Social Media Coordinator at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay. I'm thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Valley of Adventure soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is in desperate need of a renovation. The rooms were clean but very dated. I also felt like the type of people who stay here made it seem seedier than it actually was. The hotel is not very sound proof, as we could hear the people above us. The hotel has a lot of hiking and biking paths nearby which is a plus. Personally, I would not recommend it and I would be reluctant to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Delta K, Social Media Coordinator at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Tara,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It was disappointing to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay and I'd appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further and invite you back to the Lodge. I can be reached at joanna.gregson@deltahotels.com. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was our third time staying at the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis and we were very pleased.

Upon checking in, we found ourselves in a less desirable room with a dark view of the forest. Front desk agent Jeff quickly addressed our concerns and upgraded us from a standard double queen room to a loft on the third floor at no extra charge.

The hotel staff is amazing and very professional. They go above and beyond to make sure your stay is nothing short of fantastic.

We stayed for two weekday nights and the hotel was quieter than it normally is, which provided for a more relaxed environment (especially around the pool).

We dined at Grappa on our first night and it was probably one of the best meals we've encountered on our travels. It's on the pricier side of the dining options at the hotel, but well worth it if you want a meal you soon won't forget. Our server (Kristen) was knowledgeable, friendly and very conversational.

The only complaint we had was the large armchairs in the Bighorn Lounge. While very comfy, they sink down incredibly low to where your chin can also rest on the table, making it difficult to enjoy your meal. We moved to another table with straight back chairs soon after.

Thanks again, Delta. We will certainly be back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ChrisTraveller204

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your review with us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to pass your compliments along to Jeff, Kristen and the rest of the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kananaskis.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Me and my family stayed at Delta Kananskies for a night and we really enjoyed it. The staff were amazing and there was lots of dining options since the hotel has 5 or 6 restaurants. I recommend Delta Kananskies to everyone and will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Make sure to reserve ModeClub Room to enjoy the great breakfast and fantastic evening appetizer at C...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to pass your compliments along to the team.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back to Delta Lodge at Kananaskis.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here for one night to attend a wedding. The hotel is located in a great easily accessible area. The area is great for outdoorsy stuff as well as staying in modern comforts.

The hotel and rooms themselves are a little dated but still of good quality and condition.

The food and activities are a bit on the pricey side as to be expected. The staff is great, very helpful, polite and friendly.

The pool and gym are great. Indoor/outdoor hot tube with large pool.

I would go back and most likely stay for more then one day, maybe not for the list price of the hotel but with a slight deal I could be convinced.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Delta K, Social Media Coordinator at Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate our guests taking the time to provide feedback as it assists us in our goal of exceeding expectations.

I'm pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to pass your compliments along to the team! With respect to the dated rooms, we're currently undergoing a phased, multi-million dollar renovation that is slated for completion soon. To date, our Mode Club rooms, lofts and suites within our Signature Club building are complete and can be viewed our our public website.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis!

All the best,