“Great ... Family Freindly”
Review of Boundary Ranch

Boundary Ranch
Book In Advance
More Info
US$76.49*
and up
2-Hour Horseback Ride in Kananaskis with Optional...
More attraction details
Owner description: Ideally located in the spectacular natural beauty of Kananaskis Valley, Boundary Ranch is the perfect setting to discover the authentic cowboy experience and Western hospitality. Folks are invited to spend time at our Western Entertainment Centre and participate in horseback riding and outfitting trips, barbeques, horse-drawn wagon rides, and any number of the other activities that we offer for cowpokes of all ages. Happy Trails!
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Safe and fun for the whole family. What a beautiful way to see some of K-Country. Worth the drive out for an afternoon. Good service, knowledgable staff.

All reviews
"western style"
"apple pie"
"great facility"

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Awful ,slow service, by a somewhat unengaged staff. Food very mediocre. Saving grace: great location.

1  Thank sunlover57
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I had spent some time looking for a suitable ride for an experienced horse rider/owner, and I just gave up. In the whole Banff/area, I just could not get what I wanted....a half day, real ride, on a good horse, traversing exciting terrain, with some fast work. I settled for a short walk around the farm with Boundary ranch, with a bunch of beginners.

My experience was that the horses were all suitable, the guides somewhat capable, though I suspect not very experienced, and I did overhear guides chatting suggesting they were essentially passing through.

I guess a good horse riding experience is always problematical, but a rank beginner, totally safe experience is the bottom line that should be able to be delivered safely.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

My wife and her friend, both experienced riders took me to this ranch as a surprise for my first horseride. Our group was of 8 people, most of them first timers and as we were given the instructions (how to turn left, right, stop and thats it) we witnessed the guide taming his horse rodeo style, which was not reassuring. The trail was beautiful but most of the two hours are in narrow woods, without views and a hard, complicated trail, hard for rookies... I often felt unsafe on the horse. After 1.5 hours, one of the guide's horses gets spooked causing most of the horses to bolt, mine included. Eventually as my horse was racing in the woods I fell off and the rest of the horses nearly ran me over, I was very lucky to be able to roll off the trail without serious harm -or even dying-. My trail ride ended up in a walking clinic in canmore and thankfully it was only bruises all over and a spraint finger. This was a truly awful experience. The veteran riders in my group assured the guide's horses were green, we were not provided with a helmet or proper instructions and after the incident, not only I did not get an apology but one of the guides - more cowboys than guides really- afforded the luxury of telling me "that's what you get for playing with animals". I most definitely would not recommend this ranch to anybody in general, but if you're inexperienced or you bring children is a must avoid. I will not ride again after this experience and nor is my wife, that's how bad it was.

6  Thank Unfortunaterider
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Myself and several friends partook in a trail ride at Boundary Ranch in June 2013. We were very excited as the scenery in the region is quite spectacular; however, even before we were on our horses there were several red flags. One guide told the older gentlemen who appeared to be the ranch owner/manager that he could take out a very large group of us alone because he 'had a good horse'. This comment seemed rather egotistical, but fortunately was denied and a second guide was provided for the group. The next concern occurred when the initial guide got onto his horse and it proceeded to bronc for several minutes. Our guide explained that the horse had 'not been rode in a while'. Just the type of horse you want to take out with a group of (mostly) beginners. And, although it is somewhat standard for this type of facility, it would have been a thoughtful gesture to offer helmets to participants.

The initial part of the ride was fairly uneventful, but the guides did little in the way of providing instruction or guidance to any participant. Towards the end of the ride we could hear a commotion at the back of the group. The leader at the front seemed completely unaware, so we shouted up to him. Moments later a horse without rider came bolting through the group. This (understandably) caused the rest of the horses to spook and several other individuals fell off. We heard one of the guides state that 'this is what happens when you play with large animals'. Not exactly words to inspire confidence at that particular moment. Upon returning to the ranch we learnt that the entire incident was caused not by one of the trail horses, but by the guide's own horse spooking and throwing him. I do question why guides would choose to ride horses that are either not experienced or not frequently ridden when taking out large groups of beginners if safety were a priority here.

At no point was there ever any type of apology for the negative experience by either of the guides. When we brought the incident to the attention of the office staff (since neither guide seemed as though they intended to mention it) we were treated in a very cold and standoffish manner. It would have been nice to see any lack of concern for guest well being. The reason we were so appalled by our experience at Boundary Ranch has very little to do with the actual incident that occurred, and very much to do with the manner in which it was handled.

It is truly a shame as the scenery here is beautiful, and (to their credit) the horses provided for the trail ride participants do seem to know their jobs.

1  Thank Morgan L