“Farm Experiences for Us City Slickers”
Review of Flip Flop Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lucerne Valley
Flip Flop Ranch
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My 11yo son and I thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights/3 days at Flip Flop Ranch. There weren't many reviews about the ranch (the few reviews were positive), but with the Living Social deal, decided to take to take a chance. As it turns out, we had a great time and expect to return.

The hosts Sirena, Tashelle, and Thomas are excellent. Accommodating, gracious, informative, flexible, and totally committed to making sure we got to do whatever we wanted to do. I was constantly asking questions and Serina/Tashelle/Thomas never seemed to tire of answering the questions - even though they've probably been asked the same questions a gazillion times. And when it came to letting us participate in the chores, they were patient and helpful. I milked my first goat and one of the other guests enjoyed it so much that she made it her "chore" twice a day to milk all 4 goats. Other farm activities (each of which are totally optional) included feeding the cows, goats, chickens, geese, turkeys, and horses; collecting the eggs each day; harvesting the zucchini; and checking on the hatchlings.

The days were hot so we either stayed inside playing pool in the game room, or swam in the pool. The nighttime sky was incredible - saw the Milky Way for the first time in years. It was a sky I remembered from my youth, but the light pollution makes it impossible to see where I live. The handcranked, homemade ice cream was delicious and enjoyed around the bonfire.

It may be obvious to some, but a ranch vacation is not for everyone. Except for the abundance of kittens and puppies, my daughter would probably not have enjoyed the trip as much as my son and I did. You will likely get dirty if you have anything to do with the animals, and a bit dusty at best. The accommodations are a work in progress as the family has been updating/enhancing the buildings/ranch since they moved in.

For the uninitiated, signing in at a ranch is quite different from a hotel. For example, there was no visible sign to announce we had arrived at the ranch. Although there were a few dogs around who barked as we pulled up, there was no one around and it was unclear where to "sign in". There are three main buildings on the ranch - two "homes" and a barn. As it turns out, the only "sign in" procedure is to be shown to your room, which would be in the middle building.

My son's review: Flip Flop Ranch was a great place to go. Playing with the kittens was one of the day's highlights. I enjoyed doing the chores and eating breakfast with the owners and other guests. I liked spending time with my mom, even when we cleaned out the barn. I really want to go back soon. Big Mac, the cow, was one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the room with the two double beds - had a view of the barn and mountains. Beautiful. Be pr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lstefani
FlipFlopRanch, Owner at Flip Flop Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Thanks for the amazing review! And thanks for the angel food cake recipe :)

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My family (2 kids ages 9 and 11) stayed at the Flip Flop Ranch during the last weekend in June, 2012. We had a terrific time learning about and working with the variety of endangered farm animals that live on the ranch. Lisa, Tuchelle and Serena are wonderful hosts and share freely their wealth of information on endangered farm animals, blood hounds, challenges facing the farming industry, and what is happening to the modern food supply. My kids enjoyed every moment on the farm, this is their review: Daughter age 9 - I really enjoyed my stay on the farm. The kitten's were so cute! In the morning and evening we were invited to feed the animals. Then, we got to collect the eggs and milk the goats. The people on the farm cooked meals for us. The beds were comfy. The owners were really nice and have a lot to tell about the ranch. I hope we can go back soon! Son age 11 - I had an awesome time at the ranch. The baby turkeys were really small in their box. Milking the goats was one of my favorite parts because you can drink it fresh. The kittens were the smallest cats I've ever seen! I hope my mom takes me back soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kristen_O2000

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here. We've really updated the rooms, done painting, planted flowers and are working more and more to fancy the place up. You should see it!

Been to Flip Flop Ranch? Share your experiences!