Flip Flop Ranch
Motel 6 Big Bear(Big Bear Region)
US$55
  • Pool
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay(Big Bear Lake)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$168
Cathy's Country Cottages(Big Bear City)(Great Value!)
US$83
Vintage Lakeside Inn(Big Bear Region)
US$65
Marina Resort(Big Bear Region)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$85
Black Horse Motel(Apple Valley)
US$72
Robinhood Resort(Big Bear Lake)(Great Value!)
US$62
Big Bear Frontier(Big Bear Lake)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$87
Cozy Hollow Lodge(Big Bear Region)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$81
US$95
US$82
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We went on the Living Social deal and weren't totally sure what to expect. It turned out to be sooo relaxing and just what we needed! The family and staff that run the place are so warm and hospitable! Thank you, Sirena, Tashelle and Thomas! Don't expect a hotel. It's a farm and smells and feels like a farm, so once you accept that the reality the charms and chillness of it will cause all your tension to go away. You'll also see more stars and constellations than anywhere else in SoCal.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank spingourmet
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The website looks so much better than the reality. Yes it is a working farm, and my kids had fun being close to farm animals. But omg, the room and the bathroom. I wish they would have a picture of that in their website. The place is very very simple and definitely insanitary. Ok if you wash your dogs, with dish soap on the sink next to where you prepare food and use the same towels for the kitchen. Anyways, the kids were just getting real bored at the end of two days, as we were the only ones, and the chores might be fun for the first time or two but there was just nothing else to do. It is a very very simple living life. right after breakfast (pancake and bacon, and eggs if you are lucky) every body is doing their chores and you just sit there doing absolutely nothing. We cut our trip short and ended up paying for 4 days unfortunately. I just couldnt take it any more. If you go there, please ask for more pictures of the farm, and the place of stay, and you judge it for yourself.

Room Tip: ask for pictures
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank marjanb
FlipFlopRanch, Owner at Flip Flop Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time. A farm vacation isn't for everyone and we try very hard on our website to explain what to expect. Unfortunately, you guys didn't want to take advantage of feeding the animals, our game room, our swimming pool, working with the farmers, taking a hike, looking at wildflowers, scratching the horses, visiting the petroglyphs, making cheese, or any of our other many many activities. Instead, you just stayed in your room and watched movies. I'm not sure what you expected, but I wish you had talked to us instead of just telling us you had a fantastic time. It makes us hard for us to make you happy when we don't know you're upset!

Note for any other visitors: Join in with the activities and you'll have something to do!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We arrived at Flip Flop Farm on a Friday afternoon. We were greeted by Sirena, Tashelle, and Thomas who all own the farm and work on it every day. They work very hard! They gave us time to drop off our bags and then gave a great tour of the property. We fell in love with all the animals and the silence of the farm life, with the many moos and cockle doodle dos which were heaven to our city ears.

The farm family love what they do. You can tell by their exceptional care of the animals. They use natural farm techniques which I appreciated the way that they were aware of the environment. This family is educated which lead for great dinner conversations. They invite you to their dinner table each night to share their meals. You don't have to eat there but I think it is part of the experience. You feel like part of the family. I learned a lot at dinner each night discussing their routines and asking questions about the farm. They love to talk about the farm!

Our days started off early to hang out with the animals. First we played with the cats who were everywhere and were taking their farm responsibility serious! Our kids LOVED the kittens. Then the blood hounds who are all rescued greet you. One of our favorites was Rufus, who makes his rounds to ensure all the animals are accounted for. He is an amazing animal. Next we watched the pigs, cows, sheep, goats, ducks, turkeys, peacocks, chickens, and horses who all had good size pens and seemed to be enjoying life. The farm family prides themselves on helping to restore animal populations that are low or near extinction. They had some unique ducks and chickens I had never seen before. It was lots of fun to be able to go into the pens to feed them and give them water. They are well cared after including the many new baby ducks and chickens who are born on the farm and raised there. The animals are being bred for food but they are feed well natural foods and the farmers are helping to increase the breeds population when possible.

The farm also has a pretty good size vineyard and orchards with many types of fruits and nuts. We took lots of photos and tried several grapes that were ripe. We spent the day playing games in the game room, swimming in the pool, and enjoying farm life. It was a treat we always wanted to do. I was happy to find the ranch on a Living Social special because my daughter always wanted to stay on a farm. She loved being able to feed the animals, pretend they were her own for several days and to milk the goats. My husband and I also took a cheese making course, which we loved! Our whole weekend was an experience we won't ever forget.

Don't forget to try the ice cream hand churned (so creamy) and the jam the girls make. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank juliehallqvist
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were there at think at the same time as the other person. Yes the meat that was served at dinner had indeed been left on the counter overnight. Sorry but just because it is a farm doesn't mean it should be dirty. Our boys had a good time too but would never take them back. An experience yes but not the best.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Littlemissypoopoo

Sorry about your disappointment. I'm glad your children had a great time as we try very hard to make kids happy. Any meat that was left on the counter would have probably been for the animals. If it was served back when we were offering cooked meals then it shouldn't have been and was probably a rookie mistake when we were just getting started. We're real people and make real mistakes. That's part of the experience we offer! If you want a perfect hotel, then unfortunately you have to go to a hotel and not a farm. Please tell people when you're unhappy so things can be fixed!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is listed also as a Bed and Breakfast. It is NOT. You sleep in the home that does not resemble the pics. You will definitely share a bathroom with towels that are used over and over by everyone. I never saw a clean one.. Kitchen conditions are very unsanitary. Meat is left out due , to lack of refrigerator space, to thaw out . Eggs are unrefrigerated. This place is trying to carry out something they do not have the staff or facility to do.
Someone one unfortunately is going to become very ill. The table used for ice cream was served on a dirty card table from the barn. I can't speak to the conditions on the farm but I know my friend reported they are not what is considered a nice farm community. My kids were of course taken in by the many, many kittens and the farm animals it was heartbreaking to suggest that we leave. We just washed and washed their hands and fed then in town. Dinner was served outside with so many flies no one wanted to eat. No one with me got sick thank goodness...but it is a matter of time. I went on a Living Social Coupon. Sorry I ever saw it on line. Don't believe the reviews on their website. There people are using this as a money maker at your expense.

• Stayed: June 2012

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here. I wish you had of said something and we could have tried to make things better or given you your money back!!

Of course you are right that things are dirty and dusty here. That's life on a farm, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I don't remember the table for the ice cream being dirty, but maybe it's just a perception thing. As for the eggs, we teach our guests that eggs don't need to be refrigerated if they aren't washed as they naturally have an antibacterial coating. Eggs in the store have to be refrigerated because they're washed.

As for the state of our animals, they are loved and adored and EXTREMELY well taken care of.

I am very happy that your children had an excellent time as that is what we're aiming for. We want to offer a down and dirty vacation and sometimes city folk don't get it. That's perfectly okay. This isn't a place for everyone, just for people who want an authentic farm experience. Just next time please tell someone about your concerns!