We stayed at the Malibu Beach Inn on a Wednesday night for my husband's 40th Birthday surprise. We really loved it.
After speaking with the property the night before and letting them know about the surprise, I booked a room with a Queen bed, fireplace, and small balcony. I asked them to make the arrival special for him, and requested an early check-in. The AAA rate was $328/night.
We arrived after wine-tasting at the Rosenthal tasting room a few miles north. Check-in was a breeze, the entire staff was friendly and helpful, and the sound of the waves is one of the first things you notice. The staff had prepared the room with rose petals, champagne, and a fruit plate for our arrival. Minutes later, reception came by with a delicious carmel/chocolate brownie for his birthday. We felt pampered right away.
The room was very nice, and though a little on the small side, used space well. The queen bed was an adjustment for us, but was extremely comfortable. There was a small sitting area in front of the fireplace, where you could see the entire bay. We sat in front of the fireplace while listening to the waves!
Throughout our short stay, there were many "little extras" you don't always see at this price point - complimentary Fiji water left in your car at the valet, colorful kimono robes in the bathroom as well as cotton robes in the closet, a soft throw blanket to offset the ocean breeze, Dean & Deluca mini bar amenities, and great bathroom amenities.
I don't agree with some of the prior negative reviews. The hotel staff was anything but pretentious. The room was decorated nicely with contemporary furnishings and materials, none of which looked cheap. I think the $328/night rate for our room was much more realistic than $500+...I'm not sure that it would be worth more. However, the MBI gives you the smaller inn feel that is very quiet (we could not hear PCH at all, only the waves and occasional muted voices from the restaurant patio below). The property is in Malibu, and rooms in Santa Monica further down the coast are similarly priced. We live in Los Angeles, and chose Malibu for the quieter, more secluded atmosphere.
Final note - if you stay at MBI, make sure to visit the Rosenthal Tasting Room a few miles north! It was wonderful as well!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Magnificently nestled right on the sands of famed "Billionaire’s Beach," Malibu Beach Inn is a spectacular ocean-front getaway within minutes of LA. Since its inception in 1989, Malibu Beach Inn has become a beloved destination for both leisure and business travelers. After a complete, contemporary multi-million-dollar renovation, Malibu Beach Inn re-opened its doors as the only luxury oceanfront hotel destination between Santa Monica and Santa Barbara, offering guests unsurpassed levels of luxury and service on the sands of exclusive Carbon Beach. The Malibu Beach Inn is approximately 22 miles from Los Angeles International Airport. The hotel embraces the serene beauty of the Malibu coastline through its landscaping, architecture and interior design. It also embodies the spirit of one of Southern California's most exclusive communities through the warm hospitality of its multilingual, European-trained staff, its signature beach club, and a unique collection of artwork by contemporary painter Glenn Ness. The Carbon Beach Club features California coastal cuisine with Pacific Rim accents that is complemented by an outstanding and extensive list of hand-selected small-production wines from California's premier wine regions. The dining room offers both indoor and outdoor dining, both of which boast breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and the sound of the tumbling surf below.Guest rooms feature private balconies, minibars, coffeemakers, hairdryers, bathrobes, DVD players, safes, complimentary high-speed Internet access, fireplaces (most rooms), and private hot tubs (some rooms). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Malibu Beach Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malibu Beach Hotel Malibu
- Beach Inn Malibu
- Malibu Beach Bed Breakfast