“Disappointed”
Review of Malibu Beach Inn

Malibu Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Malibu
Reviewed 19 June 2008

We booked accomodations at the Malibu Beach Inn because we wanted to be a short dirve away from the seminar we were to attend at Pepperdine University. When we went into the inn to the reception area to register, we were left standing there waiting while a gentleman complained about problems with his reservation and the price he was paying. Finally someone else came to the front desk to register us. We were taken to our room by a very polite young lady and she showed us the features of the room which was a nice touch. The partial ocean view was marginal because you overlooked a parking in back of portable buildings which I assume were part of the hotel. It was very unattractive. Next, the "free" internet did not work. When I called the front desk , the person who answered the phone gave me a toll-free number to call, but was not able to answer any of my simple questions. I can see the need for tech support, but someone answering the phones should have some general knowledge of the internet set-up in the hotel in which they work. The rooms are very nicely furnished and decorated, but on the small side. There is a patio and glass sliding doors, but no screens. The air-conditioner made a very loud buzzing sound and vibrated our ceiling to such a point that we turned it off. When we went downstairs to have a quick snack on the patio overlooking the ocean, no one came to give us menus nor to take our order even though two restaurant employees walked right by our table and looked right at us. All that they would have had to say was "I'll be right with you" or something pleasant to that same effect. We just got up and left. Lastly, the Pacific Coast Hwy which runs in front of the hotel is very busy and impossible to cross. The neighborhood is totally run-down with many vacant, decaying buildings and weed-filled parking lots. I could not believe that this was Malibu and that I was paying over $490/night for a room in this seedy area with only a beach and ocean to its credit. I would be very ashamed to live here. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank haleybrook

Reviewed 5 June 2008

I was very disappointed with our stay. I should have known the minute I called to book the reservation. I felt like I was bothering them by calling. I had to ask 20 questions to get anything out of them regarding the property's features. With that initial impression, I should have just booked elsewhere. Nonetheless, i went against my instinct and went ahead with the reservation. Big mistake! The room was overpriced, we had to pay for everything! I mean everything! It was mandatory valet, and the parking was literally a few feet away. They managed to charge $26 for that. My car was kept out in the sun, so it wasn't even worth it. The front desk (Eugene specifically) was rude. We ate at the restaurant, and I've had a better NY steak at sizzler. We originally booked a table outside to enjoy the ocean, but it was freezing! No heat lamps whatsoever...go figure. There was no pool, no jacuzzi, no bathtub in the room, and no gym. A tiny bottle of water was almost $6! Give me a break! When you pay that much money for a room, you should have all of the bells and whistles that come for that price. It was a complete disappointment. I've had a better overall experience at a Holiday Inn for 5 times less (no joke). Save your money and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bobbiinc
Reviewed 19 May 2008

This is the second time I've stayed at the Malibu Beach Inn this year (both times for work). It's a very nice hotel, nice amenities, super friendly staff, but for the price I'd expect the staff to be a bit more on it. The first time I was there, my colleagues and I arrived and went to eat at the restaurant. We were literally the only people there. First the hostess took ages to seat us, like she was deciding where to put us! The whole place was empty! Then they kept bugging us during the meal. She seemed really nervous as if this were her first ever job. One of my colleagues asked for a FedEx envelope. Nope didn't have one and for whatever reason couldn't get it the next day either. This time around, my room barely had any hot water. When I spoke with the front desk, the gentleman asked if I wanted the engineer to check it out. Uh, not really a yes or no question. Send the guy. I know this seems petty, but when you're paying for a luxury hotel, I don't want half-a#@ service. But as I mentioned, they are super nice, so it's hard for me to discount them but MBI doesn't beat the Sunset Marquis in the city.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2008

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Had such a different impression, vs. the reviews I ready on Trip Advisor. I was actually hesitant to reserve a room, but so happy that we did. The setting was perfect - when you sit outside you are literally on the ocean. Our room was spacious, well appointed and clean. Views are sensational. Service might not be the most professional, but they were all really nice. It didn't bother us. It's a casual,boutique hotel and you just feel so comfortable. We barely heard any of the traffic on PCH. Good gym across the street. The Malibu Country Mart is less than 5 min. down the road. Great places to shop, sit and have coffee and have dinner at Nobu or Tra Da Noi. We can't wait to return.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank LifeisGOOD58
Reviewed 12 March 2008

Wow! This is a really nice hotel. I loved it at the Malibu Beach Inn. Maybe the weather had something to do with it, I don't know, but it certainly helped to be right on the beach. I was sunbathing in my bikini on the balcony in the beginning of March (!).

Very nice, friendly staff, although some of them seemed to be fishing for tips a lot of the time, which I find *incredibly* annoying. Many of them seemed genuinely friendly though. I wish American companies (restaurants, cab firms, hotels etc.) could start paying their staff properly (especially since the prices are so high), so they could get rid of the tipping system altogether. It's a real bother.

Had an amazing view from the balcony, and loved the sound of the waves lulling us to sleep every night. If you keep your eyes open, you might even catch some interesting wildlife. One afternoon I saw one seal, numerous pelicans, four dolphins, and even a gray whale from the balcony. Had only a few days earlier been on a whalewatch tour in San Francisco, without seeing any whales, so was extra excited about the whale view from the hotel balcony.

I think breakfast ought to have been included in the outrageous price paid for this room. I mean, everyone eats breakfast, and considering this is such a quiet area, it's not easy to catch it elsewhere. Poor service not to include it, I think.

Soudproofing could have been done better. You could hear the cars from the road behind the hotel. They should either soundproof the walls facing the road, as well as the doors (we had a small gap there in fact), or put up a huge wall with a proper door next to the road to keep out the noise of the road. The sound of the waves on the front of the hotel was lovely though. The cleaners spent ages in each room, and did a great job.

The internet should also have been for free. I found it disgusting how they could charge any extras at all at the price they charged for the room. Breakfast and the internet should be free!

Overall a wonderful stay in a firstclass hotel in a fantastic, safe, relatively quiet (apart from the road), beautiful environment. It's such a relief from L.A. We will definitely be back again when we have time. We stayed in an oceanview queen room, which I think was a perfectly decent sized room (by no means big, but not tiny either). Modern decor, and a lovely fireplace to sip wine in front of. Mmmm, I miss it so much, and wish I were there now.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Foreigner_in_London
Reviewed 18 February 2008

For the same prices as Shutters at the Beach, a wonderful hotel in Santa Monica, we stayed at the very mediocre, Malibu Beach Inn, 10 miles or so, up the coast. The building is still a motel (following a "massive" renovation) and while the views are spectacular and the rooms are very clean (not the only thing you should expect or get for $500+ per night), the service is terrible. The waiter couldn't remember or bother to write down anyone's breakfast orders (there were only four tables of patrons). He proceeded to leave out milk to go with cereal, Canadian bacon to go with eggs, etc. and he got many items wrong altogether. The front desk manager was unaware that there is a state park that is a bird sanctuary next door and couldn't tell me where to find it. Perhaps the most shocking aspect of this high-priced motel is the fact that rather than purchasing very good mattresses, they purchased a cheap mattress and then put a thick piece of foam on top of it to make it soft! The foam was noticeable from the second I sat down on the side of the bed. Shutters is a beautiful hotel that pampers guests but also gives the feel of a relaxed beach vacation. Don't bother with the Malibu Beach Inn.

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank DADUKE
Reviewed 17 February 2008

What a nice night we had here! You couldn’t find a more gorgeous outlook. At dusk and dawn, rosy light played on the sand and waves, and took our breath away. Yes, if you open your door, you hear the Pacific Coast Highway, but why would you open you door? We left the glass door to our balcony open so we could hear surf crashing on the beach and let fresh sea air fill the room. Looking down the beach to Santa Monica and L.A., you could clearly see skyscrapers piercing charcoal clouds that blanket the city.
The rooms are comfortable and stylish. We thought they were quite large. There’s a big sofa for lounging and a comfortable chair with an ottoman. There’s plenty of room to unpack your things. Since we were there for just one night, I didn’t plan on unpacking, and had to beg and plead for a luggage stand. I felt like a real nag, but one was finally delivered. I wanted to save the furniture for my husband and me, not cover it up with my grubby luggage.
We had a delicious lunch on the terrace overlooking the beach. The service, charming but bumbling, was forgivable in such idyllic surroundings. Everyone was very friendly, and seemed to genuinely care whether we were happy or not. I couldn’t get my internet working in the room but found the free wireless in the lobby even better.
This stay was sandwiched in between hotels in Beverly Hills (The Mosaic) and Santa Monica (Shutters). It was the lowest price of all three hotels, and definitely the best buy. Our lunch and breakfast were not great values, in spite of being quite good, but I would highly recommend an overnight (or more) here as part of any L.A. journey. It’s fun to experience a tiny bit of fabled, laid-back Malibu.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dancingnancy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
#6 of 36 in Santa Monica
Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Malibu Beach Inn? Share your experiences!