“Great Stay!”

Malibu Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Malibu
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Came to Malibu for my sisters wedding weekend. The Malibu beach inn was in a great location. Walking distance to the Malibu country mart and close drive to the wedding site. The service was perfect. The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom products were fantastic. I would 100% stay here again. Wish I could have stayed longer than I did.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lainieblau
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for sharing such a lovely review! We're so happy to hear that you had an outstanding experience, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for an extended stay in the future. - The Malibu Beach Inn Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Took wife to Malibu Beach Inn for 50th Birthday trip. First time to stay in Malibu area and this is the place to stay. First off, easy to get to from LAX. Traffic is always a challenge in the LA area and anytime you get close to PCH, but this was pretty painless even with some construction. The hotel location is right on the ocean - not across the street, across a big strand of beach (like other LA area hotels) or across from a strand that has a constant stream of bikers, skate boarders and joggers. Right on the water with waves crashing like its in your room. Almost all the rooms have ocean front location with great patios right over the water. We had a room at the corner that overlooked the ocean and North up the coast on the 4th floor. Awesome. We did pay ($600+ a night), but this is a destination-type location for special occasions and you get what you pay for regarding true SoCal beach environment. The rooms are larger than what you expect with very high quality furnishings that exude a laid-back attitude. We had a gas fireplace, separated sitting area from king bed area. Again the deck had a couple of chairs and small table for some wine sharing and life reviewing conversation where you compete with the waves for attention. Bathroom was large, clean and great shower area. The whole room screams (low key of course) romance and relax. This is a small hotel and the attention is on the rooms. The lobby is super small and shares common areas with the lounge and restaurant. Check-in was easy and the staff was very hospitable for LA. Lots of beautiful people working here. Highly recommend the hotel restaurant. The deck is over the ocean (not beside it) and a great place for cocktails and a decent dinner. We were much more impressed with the view and scene than the food but more because of the location raising the bar on what you might expect on food. The beach is very small at the hotel due to erosion, but your are right there. Remember that the breezes and the water keep it very cool here, so bring jackets. Highly recommend for relaxing, romance and good base for exploring the Malibu area.

Room Tip: Higher is better but most rooms right on the ocean.
4 Thank TXScooby
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you so much for celebrating your wife's birthday with us at the Malibu Beach Inn! We're delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy the beach, the ocean, the food...and of course, your room. We wish you the best for a lovely summer, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for another special occasion (or just an oceanfront getaway) in the future! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Malibu Beach Inn this past weekend to celebrate a friend's wedding. My friend advised us to book the hotel as she claimed it was the only luxury hotel in Malibu. From what I learned once I arrived - she was correct. This is the ONLY place to stay when visiting Malibu.

Upon arrival you can immediately look all the way through the lobby with views of the ocean. Check in was easy and service was friendly. The front desk had a jar of some yummy chocolate chip cookies and apples out all day which was a nice treat as well.

The location was great. We were walking distance to the Malibu Beach Mart which is very exciting for me as it is a shopping heaven. It was also right on the beach - although the actual beach itself is not amazing as it is small with large boulders - it is still beautiful. The service at the beach was top notch. I would like to give a shout out to Jones who couldn't do enough to make us comfortable.

The room was beautiful, spacious and VERY clean. Molton Brown product in the bathroom - huge plus! But all of that was almost irrelevant because all we wanted to do was stare out to the ocean and listen to the crashing of the waves. Why do we live in NY??? I want this all year round!

3 Thank Melanie M
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your enthusiasm for our property! We're so delighted to hear that everything met or exceeded your expectations and that you had a wonderful time. We truly appreciate your support and your kind and generous feedback, and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again in the future! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
Studio City, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We are local Angelenos, and went for a mid-week getaway. Being right on the beach, feels like you're on a ship. Nicely appointed room and bath. I was worried that the Queen View room would feel cramped, it was not, it felt cozy, and having a small balcony to sit on and watch the paddle boarders fall into the sea was both relaxing and amusing! The restaurant was fabulous for all meals, and has a lovely outdoor patio right over the beach. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Oh and they have beach service!!

Beautiful view of the Malibu Pier which is within walking distance (great shops and restaurants). Also within walking distance is the Adamson House. If you like history, architecture or gardens, this is a must. The home is filled with amazing Malibu tile and the family story is quite interesting.

Cons: A very A/C fan, which ran all night. I mentioned it at checkout and hopefully they will attend to it.

Room Tip: If crashing waves bother you, it's not the place for you (I loved it).
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We always love the opportunity to welcome our neighbors, and we're delighted to hear that you had an opportunity to enjoy so much of what we have to offer. We also appreciate you letting us know about the A/C fan so we could attend to it right away. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back for another beach getaway soon! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed just for one night at the Malibu Beach in on 05/23/14 for one night. It was amazing! The views are breathtaking ! The sounds of the ocean and the fireplace in the room was a great experience in itself. Love the decor of this modern room and the location is perfect too.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Isabel G
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time here, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was here in Sept 2012 as Trip Advisor advised me, but since I just spent 4 days over the memorial day weekend there, I thought it deserved another look.

Everything I wrote previously still applies.The Inn is still magical and the rooms divine as long as you do not mind not having a bath tub. We had a corner king again, but truthfully, unless you feel you need the side breeze as well as the front breeze, there is no reason to get it. It costs more and the room is the same size as the Queen oceanfronts. They just crammed a kingsize bed into this corner,and one side of the bed does not even have an end table. The room is very lovely though as are the amenities.

We ate dinner, both in the restaurant and in our room while we were there, and also had a brunch. Everything was delicious. See my review of the Malibu Beach Club Restaurant for details. I was especially pleased with the room service. It only took 20 minutes each time we ordered. Very fast !! And the order was always correct!!

The one jarring note this time for me was the reception staff. They all seems harried and unfriendly. Since there are only 43 rooms, I did not understand it. It is mostly staffed by women and none of them were warm and welcoming. This should be a must for an inn that charges the prices this place does. Of course, Memorial Day was even more expensive than normal. The phone was not answered using my name or how can I help you, just their name. Not good. I made certain requests as I was entertaining guests and there was no smile, no eagerness to please. Everything was met with a grudging robotic acceptance, no more.

I had requested a 3rd floor king corner and was given a 2nd floor one -there are only two - with the explanation that the people in the 3rd floor room had been there and were not leaving. There was no, "I am so sorry about this. Let me give you a lovely cheese platter or whatever...."Since I made my reservation in January, I thought it odd they would give the 3rd floor room to someone at the time I was going to be there. Those people could have been told they would have to move on the date of my arrival, or been given the 2nd floor originally. As a repeat guest it would have been nice to be treated with more consideration and certainly with more concern for my happiness and comfort. It would have taken very little to be kind and sorry. But it was not to be.

I know that everyone has a bad day, but for 4 days and 4 different women??? Geez. Snooty is the word I would use. And it wasn't just me. I watched while another woman approached the front desk about some surprise she wanted to leave in a room and she was met with the same stone faces that I was. Is this a requirement for working there? It was so strange.

I stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and have never been met with this kind of uncaring and
disinterest. All the other staff, be it maids, valets, waiters, greeters were very warm and fun. It was just the front desk women who looked and acted like they did not want to be there, and that they were doing you a favor to even listen to you.

Do not let this detract you from staying there as it is magical property. The only hotel on the water in Malibu and much of the coast. My other favorite is The Surf and Sand in Laguna where they are super friendly and can"t do enough for me when I am there. Makes one want to go back. Ya know!

Just note this one oddity, and perhaps it will have all been changed by the time you get there!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront queen - side nearest the Malibu Pier for best view and away from noise of patio dining...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, and we appreciate you sharing the areas that you felt could be improved. We will investigate the challenges you experienced and ensure we rectify the issues in a timely manner. Please know that we consider our guests' feedback very seriously, and we will utilize your comments to improve in the areas that we can. We do hope that we'll have the opportunity to ensure you have a much better experience in the future. - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed at the Malibu Beach Inn 5+ times in my life. I have to say every time I stay there I am extraordinarily happy.

Let's start with the location. The hotel is built on stilts on the ocean. You get a great sea breeze and the sounds of crashing waves if you leave your patio open. If you shut your patio you don't hear the ocean so you can pick. Also there is a park over to the right (when looking at the hotel from the street) where you can go for a run, go surfing or do a short nature hike into that is on the beach. Plus the pier is great for a relaxing stroll.

Second, when you show up there is typically a water station, free freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, and also salt water taffy for you to snack on while they check you in. The front desk is very responsive and honestly tries to put you in the best room possible.

Third, every room is awesome that I've ever stayed in. Each room has a private balcony, a fire place, a large comfy bed, a barefoot dreams blanket, The bathrooms are clean and well appointed with great products. Typically Molton Brown products. The coffee machine is a K-cup brand machine, its not nespresso but does the trick.

Fourth, the restaurant is literally a balcony over looking the water with waves crashing. I am usually there for business but who cares its amazing, has heat lamps to keep you warm, and the food is really high quality. I've never had a bad meal there.

Lastly, when you wake up they have free fresh brewed coffee and usually a muffin or banana bread to select from. I also suggest calling them up to book often they will match online booking engine prices even if a deal is sold out.

I do a fair bit of business in LA proper and I drive the extra 30 mins everytime I can to stay at the Malibu beach Inn. I've stayed there with my girlfriend in the past as well and honestly, it is one of her favorite hotels and we stay at luxury hotels when we travel.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good, try to get a front facing room rather than a partial view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank binsight
MalibuBeachInn, Guest Relations Manager at Malibu Beach Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thanks so much for making Malibu Beach Inn your home away from home! We truly appreciate your kind and generous feedback. We're so grateful for your continued support and we're very happy to hear that you've had many enjoyable visits and made some lasting memories over the years. It is always a pleasure to serve you, and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to LA! - The Malibu Beach Inn Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Shore Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,508 reviews
Casa del Mar
Casa del Mar
#3 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Malibu Beach Inn? Share your experiences!