“Thumbs up this time for a disounted rate”
Review of Malibu Beach Inn

Malibu Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Malibu
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I reviewed this hotel a year ago and at that time I thought the place was nice but definitely over-priced and did not deliver the service expected for the price charged. Now that our son is at Pepperdine we have found other places to stay but this trip was at the last minute and this was the only nearby hotel we could get into. Also the hotel was offering a special discounted room rate so we thought we would give it another try. We were pleasantly surprised. They have really improved the customer service. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are really very nice with beautiful views of the ocean. We didn't eat in the restaurant because the reviews in this area are not great and we already have some favourite restaurants nearby. So, my new opinon of the hotel is that for $350/night it was worth it for the lovely room and view as that was all we wanted. We just needed a nice place to sleep as our days were filled watching sports at Pepperdine. I still wouldn't pay the usual $600+/night because there just isn't anything here to make it worth it. There is no pool, fitness centre, etc and it's a hotel with outdoor corridors right on the PCH, not a luxury resort. You still have to valet park and it seems ridiculous to have to pay to park your car 30 ft away but I suspect that is because the parking lot is so small and cars are coming in and out of the PCH quite quickly. The one bad thing that happened during our stay was when the valets lost our car keys and it took about 1/2 hr for them to find them. They were very apologetic but of course it happened when we were in a hurry to get somewhere.
So, although I say I WOULD recommend this hotel to a friend, I would only recommend it at the right price. It is a nice hotel but there's a limit to what I'm willing to pay for it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank h0lym0ly

Reviewed 6 May 2009

I was apprehensive about staying at the Malibu Beach Inn but realized that the things people complained about in the reviews were not an issue for me. This is a great place to stay if you have transportation, don’t eat at hotel restaurants, notify MBI in advance of special occasions so they can plan accordingly, plan your own travel itinerary, not interested in water activities, don’t like to sit by the pool or work out while on vacation and are not Cali natives. I was a little shocked when I asked the front desk where the most beautiful place to watch the sunrise was. The annoyed staff person responded, “I don’t know what to tell you.” I chuckled, as I was prepared for poor customer service. That’s all I had to complain about. I was pleased when I saw Happy Birthday on my room sign, received bottled water each time valet delivered my car, and cake with a candle in it upon arrival. MBI also provides concierge services via iPod Touch. This was perfect for me because I left my laptop at home and don’t have an iPhone. I was very pleased with the room and the price. The W was in the same price range; however, the room was smaller, there’s no fireplace, balcony or ocean. MBI is a great romantic getaway for couples who know how to make their own fun or want to stay in. For those who can appreciate a nice art deco room with a view this is the place for you. If you are on a budget take advantage of low room rates on Sunday – Thursday. It is not uncommon for room rates to fluctuate in California. Verify this information in advance before you book. Pick up dinner and a bottle of wine and enjoy a sunset dinner on the balcony or beach if you like. For the gym buffs, take a yoga class or weight train at the brand new establishment across the street. If you are interested in swimming or surfing take a drive a few miles down to Venice Beach where everyone else is doing the same thing. If you want a fine dining experience or would like to enjoy good seafood with the Malibu natives there’s several places a few miles from MBI. For those who are worried about added unexpected fees you can rest easy knowing that you can dispute charges (AMEX is great) should MBI try any funny business after you check out. MBI is not the place for GRAND occasions (i.e., wedding anniversaries, wedding proposals, hotel room parties, etc.) Nor is this the place to be spoiled by hotel staff. If you are one of those who want it when you want it and how you want and don't have the time or patience to figure it out, you may want to try another place that specializes in that level of service.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BTreva
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We were a little concerned about staying here at first (after reading some of the reviews) but decided to go ahead and book it anyway. We have to say , from our experience, we are soooo glad we did stay here! The room was very nice, had an absolutely wonderful oceanview as well as the PCH. We loved laying in bed an listening to the sound of the ocean just under our balcony! We honestly cannot say 1 bad thing about this hotel. It is a lil pricey , but , you are paying for "location".

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank txgirl1965
Reviewed 7 April 2009

This hotel is in an unbeatable location in Malibu and is one of very few hotels in the Malibu area. Unfortunately, the service leaves something to be desired. I had major problems with the internet connection, there is no wireless in the rooms (only in public spaces--unacceptable for a new hotel of this caliber), our minibar was not fully stocked on our arrival (we had to talk to a manager to avoid being charged for things we had not taken), and the beachside service was very slow. On the plus side, they have beach-side food and beverage service, they set up lounge chairs for you (even if it takes a long time to make it happen), the rooms are modern and well decorated, the beds are comfortable, and the view of the ocean out the window/balcony is great. Overall, I think the hotel is overpriced for the quality, but you are paying for the location. It's tough not to have a good time here, despite the gripes about the service. A glass of wine on the balcony with the waves crashing beneath you can make up for a lot of other shortcomings.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelbuggLA
Reviewed 19 March 2009

The night of my 30th birthday my boyfriend surprised me with a lovely dinner in Santa Monica and an overnight stay at the Malibu Beach Inn. He surprised me even further by proposing that night on the beach directly below our hotel room. I was glowing as we checked out...til I had a quick peek at the bill. It was over $400 (which apparently is their off peak, mid-week, January rate) which was a lot to spend on a hotel considering we live about 45 mins from Malibu. But it was romantic, nonetheless, and when we tied the knot 10 months later we thought it would be nice to stay there on our wedding night. We got married at Thanksgiving and due to the holiday season the hotel was only booking rooms with a 3 night minimum. My fiancé explained our situation & asked if there was any way we could book for just one night. At this point we had moved to Santa Monica (about 15 mins from the hotel) and it really seemed like a waste of money to book for three nights. Finally, the Reservation Manager took control of the situation and said that yes we could book for just one night at the discounted rate of $680!? He also said they'd do something special for us. We bit the bullet and booked the room. Figured we'd spent so much on the wedding what was another $680 for the room we stayed in the night we got engaged? Of course, the catch was they couldn't actually guarantee the same room... I called the day before our wedding to remind the hotel about our wedding night stay and see if I could catch a romantic at the front desk who'd help secure "our" room for us. No such luck. I was told they wouldn't have room assignments til the following morning and there was nothing they could do to guarantee the room we wanted. Upon arrival on our wedding night we were delighted to find out we had gotten "our" room. We couldn't wait to get upstairs to see what the "something special" was the Reservation Manager had promised us. We were disappointed, at best, with the special something. It was a chilled bottle of sparkling wine (not even champagne!?) and glasses set out on the coffee table. We later googled the bottle of wine which retails at a whopping $11. We skipped out on all of the treats for purchase they had laid out for us but we did indulge in some coffee the following morning while we sat on our balcony enjoying our first day of married bliss. A week of so after our wedding my now husband happened to check our credit card statement and noticed that after check out they had tacked on an additional $4.50 to our bill. When he called to inquire what that was for he was informed it was for the coffee we had consumed the morning after our wedding. Please...even Motel 6 gives you free coffee in the morning! And after all the money we had spent there they couldn't give us a free cup of coffee!? I might also add that the entire staff (minus the valet guys who were nice as could be) could not have been snobbier. The hotel rooms are nice but on the small side for the money. Aside from the Malibu Pier with its one restaurant there's nothing of interest you can walk to. Oh, and several months after our engagement we went to the hotel restaurant for dinner. Food was less than stellar at best and the service in the restaurant was just as poor as it was at the front desk. Needless to say, we will not be returning for ANY of our anniversaries!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
15  Thank butrfly07
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I only hope people who read this review and all the previous terrible reviews of this place take heed and LISTEN! The beach is disgusting, it is rated as one of the most unclean in california, swim in it if you want to catch a life threatening disease. At high tide there is no beach so forget about taking a walk. Next door is a great location to surf but if your not a local go at your own risk!

The restaurant is like something out of a prank show. The kitchen is tiny so the low quality frozen food you get takes hours. The service is no existent. By the end of the evening I was looking for the cameras or at least someone to give me money for going through all of this. Instead they brought the check it and for two people still hungry it was well over a hundred.

The rooms are very small, and i've seen them all. The only ones bearable are the luxury sweets which at 1100 a night you need your head examined. All the A/C units are very loud and can not cool below 70 degrees. front desk were no where near as bad the restaurant but still on the slow side.

All I can do is write this in the hope someone doesn't have to experience what i've been through. Their is a four seasons in westlake which is 15 minutes away from zuma and tons of places in Santa Monica.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank DoingYouAFavor
Reviewed 19 January 2009

My wife & I stayed there for New Years Eve for just one night and had numerous problems. When I first called the hotel, they offered me a package for the night...room and a special New Years Eve dinner. When I called the restaurant the next day to give them a time that we would want to be seated, they had no idea about a package. After we checked in, I noticed that the safe did not lock. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up right away. No one ever came. I ended up calling three times and it still was never fixed. The dinner was good except that my wife's shrimp dish was completely raw. I asked the waiter to make sure that this wasn't the way the chef intended it to be. He said no and quickly took the dish away. The next morning we went for breakfast and came back to find that we were locked out of our room. I told the front desk and they just handed me another key and said try again. Still locked out. I had to find a manager and she tried the door. No luck. She told us to have some breakfast ( we just got back from breakfast) while they worked on it. Then after we checked out, my wife noticed on the bill that we were double charged for dinner ($240 for two). I called the hotel and was told nothing could be done now and someone would contact me. I email and called the Executive Offices to complain and was completely ignored. The Managing Director (Alan Goldschneider) never took or returned any of my calls or replied to my email. After one week I was finally credited back the $240. I talk to the property manager to complain and was told "sorry". I asked her "what are you going to do for me" for all of my trouble. Her only offer was the day use of a room and lunch. You've got to be kidding. I have never wrote a review before but this place really got my blood boiling. Do not stay here. There are so many other places in southern Cal much better than this place.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
12  Thank snl608
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Shore Hotel
Viceroy Santa Monica
Viceroy Santa Monica
#9 of 36 in Santa Monica
Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Malibu Beach Inn? Share your experiences!