“Wonderful hotel ~ highly recommended ~ perfect!”
Review of Malibu Beach Inn

Malibu Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Malibu
Manchester
“Wonderful hotel ~ highly recommended ~ perfect!”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We stayed for a few days early in May 2009 and wished we had booked for a longer period of time. Perfect location and a perfect hotel in every way. I can't think of any faults to raise and we will certainly be booking again for next year, extending our stay!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
sourh pasadena
Reviewed 13 July 2009

To say that I'm a picky traveler is an understatement. I have been lucky enough to stay in some of the finest hotels in the world, and I'm hard to impress. Upon arriving at the Malibu Beach Inn, I felt like I was in the south of France, and not Malibu. There was an intimate bar area beyond check-in, and out on the patio, tables for dining.
We were shown to our ocean-view queen sized bed, and while the room was a bit small, it was comfortable and ever so cozy with a fireplace, and the balcony had two chairs, and a table. We went downstairs for lunch, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the service was attentive, and the food was very, very good. After lunch, we went down to the beach, and spent the entire afternoon on two lounge chairs, with an umbrella to guard from the harsh rays of the sun. While there isn't a huge beach, it's quiet, and not riddled with screaming children. There was a server that brought drinks, and was as professional as everyone else was.
By nightfall, we had canceled our reservation at Nobu because we were so comfortable in our room. An added feature of this hotel, is upon check-in, you are asked if you would like an ipod, that can do everything from order room service, to request your car from the valet. Being a gadget lover, I said, please hand it over. If it was lost, I think there was a $200 replacement fee. Wanting to test it out upon coming back from the beach, I requested 2 towels from housekeeping, on the ipod. Ten minutes later, we were out on the balcony, and housekeeping was at the door with the towels! WOW! I requested my car from valet, ordered room service, bellman for check-out, and the ipod was used for all of it, and with no errors, or time delay. Upon check-out, the clerk said you liked the Ipod, and I said oh yes. Only problem I could imagine would be misplacing/losing it.
The bed....ah. When we awoke, I felt like I had been in a coma. A very deep sleep that I'm never able to achieve. The bed linens, and the sound of the waves lulling me to sleep, oh i wish I was there now!
MBI does have the Hollywood wow factor as well. There were several A-list movie stars staying or dining at the hotel. MBI is the standout beachfront hotel in Southern California for it's understated elegance, attentive service, and million dollar views.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I reviewed this hotel a year ago and at that time I thought the place was nice but definitely over-priced and did not deliver the service expected for the price charged. Now that our son is at Pepperdine we have found other places to stay but this trip was at the last minute and this was the only nearby hotel we could get into. Also the hotel was offering a special discounted room rate so we thought we would give it another try. We were pleasantly surprised. They have really improved the customer service. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are really very nice with beautiful views of the ocean. We didn't eat in the restaurant because the reviews in this area are not great and we already have some favourite restaurants nearby. So, my new opinon of the hotel is that for $350/night it was worth it for the lovely room and view as that was all we wanted. We just needed a nice place to sleep as our days were filled watching sports at Pepperdine. I still wouldn't pay the usual $600+/night because there just isn't anything here to make it worth it. There is no pool, fitness centre, etc and it's a hotel with outdoor corridors right on the PCH, not a luxury resort. You still have to valet park and it seems ridiculous to have to pay to park your car 30 ft away but I suspect that is because the parking lot is so small and cars are coming in and out of the PCH quite quickly. The one bad thing that happened during our stay was when the valets lost our car keys and it took about 1/2 hr for them to find them. They were very apologetic but of course it happened when we were in a hurry to get somewhere.
So, although I say I WOULD recommend this hotel to a friend, I would only recommend it at the right price. It is a nice hotel but there's a limit to what I'm willing to pay for it.

ATL
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I was apprehensive about staying at the Malibu Beach Inn but realized that the things people complained about in the reviews were not an issue for me. This is a great place to stay if you have transportation, don’t eat at hotel restaurants, notify MBI in advance of special occasions so they can plan accordingly, plan your own travel itinerary, not interested in water activities, don’t like to sit by the pool or work out while on vacation and are not Cali natives. I was a little shocked when I asked the front desk where the most beautiful place to watch the sunrise was. The annoyed staff person responded, “I don’t know what to tell you.” I chuckled, as I was prepared for poor customer service. That’s all I had to complain about. I was pleased when I saw Happy Birthday on my room sign, received bottled water each time valet delivered my car, and cake with a candle in it upon arrival. MBI also provides concierge services via iPod Touch. This was perfect for me because I left my laptop at home and don’t have an iPhone. I was very pleased with the room and the price. The W was in the same price range; however, the room was smaller, there’s no fireplace, balcony or ocean. MBI is a great romantic getaway for couples who know how to make their own fun or want to stay in. For those who can appreciate a nice art deco room with a view this is the place for you. If you are on a budget take advantage of low room rates on Sunday – Thursday. It is not uncommon for room rates to fluctuate in California. Verify this information in advance before you book. Pick up dinner and a bottle of wine and enjoy a sunset dinner on the balcony or beach if you like. For the gym buffs, take a yoga class or weight train at the brand new establishment across the street. If you are interested in swimming or surfing take a drive a few miles down to Venice Beach where everyone else is doing the same thing. If you want a fine dining experience or would like to enjoy good seafood with the Malibu natives there’s several places a few miles from MBI. For those who are worried about added unexpected fees you can rest easy knowing that you can dispute charges (AMEX is great) should MBI try any funny business after you check out. MBI is not the place for GRAND occasions (i.e., wedding anniversaries, wedding proposals, hotel room parties, etc.) Nor is this the place to be spoiled by hotel staff. If you are one of those who want it when you want it and how you want and don't have the time or patience to figure it out, you may want to try another place that specializes in that level of service.

texas
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We were a little concerned about staying here at first (after reading some of the reviews) but decided to go ahead and book it anyway. We have to say , from our experience, we are soooo glad we did stay here! The room was very nice, had an absolutely wonderful oceanview as well as the PCH. We loved laying in bed an listening to the sound of the ocean just under our balcony! We honestly cannot say 1 bad thing about this hotel. It is a lil pricey , but , you are paying for "location".

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 April 2009

This hotel is in an unbeatable location in Malibu and is one of very few hotels in the Malibu area. Unfortunately, the service leaves something to be desired. I had major problems with the internet connection, there is no wireless in the rooms (only in public spaces--unacceptable for a new hotel of this caliber), our minibar was not fully stocked on our arrival (we had to talk to a manager to avoid being charged for things we had not taken), and the beachside service was very slow. On the plus side, they have beach-side food and beverage service, they set up lounge chairs for you (even if it takes a long time to make it happen), the rooms are modern and well decorated, the beds are comfortable, and the view of the ocean out the window/balcony is great. Overall, I think the hotel is overpriced for the quality, but you are paying for the location. It's tough not to have a good time here, despite the gripes about the service. A glass of wine on the balcony with the waves crashing beneath you can make up for a lot of other shortcomings.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 March 2009

The night of my 30th birthday my boyfriend surprised me with a lovely dinner in Santa Monica and an overnight stay at the Malibu Beach Inn. He surprised me even further by proposing that night on the beach directly below our hotel room. I was glowing as we checked out...til I had a quick peek at the bill. It was over $400 (which apparently is their off peak, mid-week, January rate) which was a lot to spend on a hotel considering we live about 45 mins from Malibu. But it was romantic, nonetheless, and when we tied the knot 10 months later we thought it would be nice to stay there on our wedding night. We got married at Thanksgiving and due to the holiday season the hotel was only booking rooms with a 3 night minimum. My fiancé explained our situation & asked if there was any way we could book for just one night. At this point we had moved to Santa Monica (about 15 mins from the hotel) and it really seemed like a waste of money to book for three nights. Finally, the Reservation Manager took control of the situation and said that yes we could book for just one night at the discounted rate of $680!? He also said they'd do something special for us. We bit the bullet and booked the room. Figured we'd spent so much on the wedding what was another $680 for the room we stayed in the night we got engaged? Of course, the catch was they couldn't actually guarantee the same room... I called the day before our wedding to remind the hotel about our wedding night stay and see if I could catch a romantic at the front desk who'd help secure "our" room for us. No such luck. I was told they wouldn't have room assignments til the following morning and there was nothing they could do to guarantee the room we wanted. Upon arrival on our wedding night we were delighted to find out we had gotten "our" room. We couldn't wait to get upstairs to see what the "something special" was the Reservation Manager had promised us. We were disappointed, at best, with the special something. It was a chilled bottle of sparkling wine (not even champagne!?) and glasses set out on the coffee table. We later googled the bottle of wine which retails at a whopping $11. We skipped out on all of the treats for purchase they had laid out for us but we did indulge in some coffee the following morning while we sat on our balcony enjoying our first day of married bliss. A week of so after our wedding my now husband happened to check our credit card statement and noticed that after check out they had tacked on an additional $4.50 to our bill. When he called to inquire what that was for he was informed it was for the coffee we had consumed the morning after our wedding. Please...even Motel 6 gives you free coffee in the morning! And after all the money we had spent there they couldn't give us a free cup of coffee!? I might also add that the entire staff (minus the valet guys who were nice as could be) could not have been snobbier. The hotel rooms are nice but on the small side for the money. Aside from the Malibu Pier with its one restaurant there's nothing of interest you can walk to. Oh, and several months after our engagement we went to the hotel restaurant for dinner. Food was less than stellar at best and the service in the restaurant was just as poor as it was at the front desk. Needless to say, we will not be returning for ANY of our anniversaries!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Shore Hotel