“The most intimate and refined Malibu gateway”
Review of Malibu Beach Inn

Malibu Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Malibu
Los Angeles, California
“The most intimate and refined Malibu gateway”
Reviewed 30 May 2010

My fiance and I are not new to Malibu, but this was our first experience at the Malibu Beach Inn. Fist of many more, I can say now. With the unbeatable location right above the Ocean, beachside dining, and the most delicious Seafood Salad I've ever tasted, I am not sure how strategic of me is to share this "hidden getaway" with all of my friends. May be I will just selfishly keep this gem is our secret....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CAgirlInTheCity

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
New York
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Beautifully refurbished by the new owners. The hotel is VERY comfortable and the beds are luxurious. The staff needs better training but the environment is very enjoyable. Sitting out on the porch while dining is a sublime experience. If you book "off peak" you can get a good rate, otherwise it's overpriced.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank NewYorkRex
parishilton020
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I had an awful experience with this hotel. My fiancé and I are long time Malibu residents and alumni of Pepperdine. University. We are getting married and decided to get a block of rooms at Malibu Beach Inn. The first rate they gave us for the block of rooms was the SAME rate as their AAA rate. When we came back and let them know that by sending our entire wedding party to the Hotel (in February) it was not much of a savings to offer them a rate that any guest who has AAA membership could obtain. We then continued to go back and forth with Jill Jennings who promised one thing on the phone and then completely switched the contract via all emails. Malibu Beach Inn will charge your credit card for any hotel rooms that are part of your room block if they are not booked by a certain date (30-60 days before the wedding). The two individuals we worked with (Jill Jennings and Scott Margot) were unprofessional and lacked any kind of professionalism or hospitality. We had an exceptional experience sending all of our guests to the 4 Seasons in Westlake Village. They honor a huge discount to all guests and do not charge you for any rooms that are not booked. The restaurant and spa options are far superior to Malibu Beach Inn.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
19 Thank parishilton020
Manchester UK
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Having stayed at the hotel 'on spec', whilst driving up US1, we didn't have the option of checking Tripadvisor prior to our stay. I am surprised by the negative reviews. This hotel is not cheap, but it does provide a great little romantic bolthole, right on the beach, with excellent service. It is small and cosy and has a small bar area and great restaurant, with the option of dining outside on the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Rooms are double bedded, with mood lighting, sofas, log fires (gas), safe, robes, slippers, plasma TV's, IPod doc, mini bar and fabulous ocean views. They have an ITouch style concierge system which is a little gimmicky, it's easier to phone.

Bathroom had a walk-in shower, no bath, but lots of fresh towels and toiletries.

Valet parking was expensive, service was very friendly and breakfast was pricey but fabulous, especially on the terrace.

I would certainly recommend it for a one night romantic break, despite having read the other reviews.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick_From_Manchester
London
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We wanted to stay in Malibu for the weekend and looked at most of the options in the area. Though its website makes this hotel out to be some high-class option, it's corporate, snobby and soulless with little to recommend it, and the price would make your eyes water. The beach is rocky and not that nice. A little way down down the stretch, we found a charming inn called Casa Malibu with rooms right on the beach (at the Malibu Beach Inn you just have a balcony high up), and a beautiful flowered courtyard. The rooms don't have that boutique feel if that's what you're after, but personally I enjoyed spending the money I saved not staying at Malibu Beach Inn on doing fun things with my boyfriend.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angel2001
nyc
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. THE WORST! This place is so! bad, my partner and I left in the middle of the night, and went to the Viceroy in Santa Monica.
Even it's beach is bad. Go even half a mile in either direction and it gets so much better.
I notice allot of the good reviews are written by Englishmen. If they think this place is good, they must have some lousy hotels in England.

Don't forget; They have no spa, no pool, no gym, not even a bar. Nothing but a bad restaurant.

Service is so bad, we had to make them call a manager to get us a soda. The manager, I think he was Alan, behaved worse than his awful staff.

Run, don't walk. Get away from this hotel as fast as you can. If you're not there, don't go. It's not a vacation, it's punishmen for your sins.

Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
11 Thank hagusNyc
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 August 2009

A group of friends and myself rented 3 rooms for a reunion and holiday party. We had the party in one room, a suite. The party was in the suite from 8:30PM to 11:30PM. During the party, all of our credit cards and cash was stolen out of our purses - 3k total with all of the unauthorized charges by a thief. We alerted the management, they told us they had cameras. When I asked for some sort of make good for the incredible loss the management went beserk- Managers first name was Alan. We believe that this was an inside job. I filed a police report and when I asked to see the camera tapes they would not let me see the tapes - viewing the tapes would have proven that it was a staff member who broke in and entered our hotel room. I stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and this was by far the absolute worst experience of my life. Even the view could not make this experience ok. The management did nothing to appease me. Stay at SHUTTERS in Santa Monica.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
11 Thank HTEverywhere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Shore Hotel
#3 of 36 in Santa Monica
Shutters on the Beach
Shutters on the Beach
#4 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Malibu Beach Inn? Share your experiences!