“This is Gidget and Moondoggy”
Review of Surfrider Beach

Surfrider Beach
Ranked #17 of 53 things to do in Malibu
More attraction details
Owner description: One of twenty-four beaches in Malibu. Very popular with surfers.
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This is the essence of California surf culture. Yep, in the middle of some of the most expensive beach real estate, some board shorts, a wetsuit in winter and a board and its all a free ride here. This is a classic surf spot that gets some great swells and wonderful beach characters. its worth a stop.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"coast"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Been coming here since 1986. It's shoreline has changed a bit. There's less sand and the water's edge is closer now. Parking is tricky on the street. I have no idea how much the Surfrider lot costs, probably $10-$15, at least. I always arrive before noon, even on weekends, and I get a spot on the street. You may have to make a few passes and do a U-turn but it's very possible. The lifeguards can be annoying when they favor the surfers like they are to be worshipped. One time, after we had kids, I complained after surfers were heading in too close to my then young son at the water's edge. So, the wise a-- lifeguard walks over and extends the surfer boundary by putting the swim/surf sign farther over by my son, forcing him to re-locate, instead of warning the surfer(s) to be more careful. Generally, though, it a nice beach. Another year, my then 8 year old daughter was treated by a very nice lifeguard named Pat who paddled her out on his surfboard to the pier and he peeled her off a starfish, which was very cool of him to do. Surfrider proper runs into Cross Creek beach which has it's own lot and path entry. That abutts to the private Malibu Colony beach. Cross Creek has a stagnant pond that drains to the ocean at various times. Most times you can cross the running water and go over into the other beach.
In the summer, it's crowded and there is a hot dog guy. Our ritual, though, is a 2 minute walk across the street to Jack in the Box, which I have been doing for 27 years! There used to be Malibu Liquors there to get a brown bag cold one, but it's been gone for years. There are a couple of food places on the pier but that's a different review.
This is not the sprawl of Zuma beach. It fills up quickly in the summer and year 'round on the weekends. Great shell and rock collecting here at low tide. Of course, surfers and dolphins provide some interesting viewing, not to mention the lovelies on the beach.

1  Thank GaryMon
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I'm no expert on surfing, I even can't swim. But views and atmosphere here really is a good pep talk for people like me. Maybe I should learn to surf here, right wind and weather.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Loved surfing here. Even though there was a no swell the little waves were still fun ride. Get there early if you want the free parking on the street as it was full by 6am! Plenty of places to eat my favorite being Gladstones at Sunset with a drink in hand! lol literally its where Sunset ends at the ocean.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Although we are beyond the surfer age, it is still enjoyable to watch the young people tackle the waves at these three points. I marvel at how they are able to judge just when to accelerate through the wave and when to let one go by. Some of the more skilled surfers really milk the last gasp of the wave. Then, turn around and either dive under the incoming waves or ride over them.Looks exhausting to me as I sit on the beach with a glass of wine and watch in awe. There are so many beaches in Malibu that are accessible to families I don't begrudge one place where surfers rule.

1  Thank James H