“Get there early for a great spot”

El Matador State Beach
Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Malibu
Robbinsdale, Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Get there early for a great spot”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I visited on April 7- got there early about 9:30AM, and found a great spot- up against the cliff where there was a little cave for shade. Hung out until about 12N when the crowd started shoing up...gave our parking ticket to a young couple who looked like they could use it...beauty of a beach!

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malibu, California, United States
289 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Wonderful Family Spot, especially at low tide.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Check the local tide charts and take your kids to visit at Low Tide. You will see a healthy seascape with lots of interesting sea creatures. A bit of a hike from parking but well worth it. Very lovely coastal setting.

3 Thank Thomas S
Austin, Texas
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Spectacular! !!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We recently visited this spot during our southern California trip. Parking is limited but you can park on the road. The beach is little bit far from the parking spot, but it's worth to go down the beach specially during sunset!!

1 Thank Tanzir M
Oklahoma
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Breathtaking!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

It's a bit of hike to get all the way to the beach but it's worth it! Absolutely beautiful. The reason it's called El Matador beach is because one of the rock formations resembles a bull!

3 Thank threepowells
Ottawa, Canada
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 338 helpful votes
“Breathtakingly amazingly beautiful”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I had researched before our trip, and this was supposed to be so gorgeous, so I put it on our to-do list ... I hope it is on yours! STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS. Quite simply, one of the prettiest scenes I've ever seen. EVER. I think we all ran out of battery power trying to take photos here. So beautiful. We were there on a Monday afternoon in March, so there wasn't any problem finding parking, nor was the beach busy at all. I can't remember what the parking charge was - after a week on a road trip in Southern California, we spent tons on parking so I stopped keeping track! Doesn't matter, it was worth it whatever it was. I don't get the sense this is a "swimming" beach - not with the rocks, but what a wonderful place to walk in the water, soak up the sun, relax in the sand, and just enjoy nature's beauty. Most definitely a trip highlight for us. I think my husband's first words upon his first view were "are you freakin' kidding me?" (because of how wonderful it looked). I can't imagine being lucky enough to leave near here to be able to spend time there on a regular basis!

4 Thank clamc40