“Beautiful, Scenic beach. No Crowds.”

El Matador State Beach
Ranked #5 of 53 things to do in Malibu
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a really unique, secluded beach that looks like it came right off a travel brochure. Huge boulders, white sand, blue water right up to the beach. Perfect for strolling, there were only a few other users there when we visited. The parking lot is quite small and required a significant fee. We were forced to park on the highway nearby-which was OK as it saved us some bucks and the walk was easy. There is a bit of a hike down the bluff to the beach, but the views along the way were outstanding. The cold water and cool sea breeze seemed strange to those of us used to the Gulf Coast in Summer but the visuals can't be beat! Loved it.

All reviews
"bring your camera"
in 6 reviews
"beautiful spot"

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This break is nice and gave us a nice short walk during our drive. It looked just like the pictures and was a very unique and beautiful beach. I thought 8 bucks for parking for twenty minutes was a little steep when we were one of two cars in the lot. I am glad I saw it but won't be back.

2  Thank megs0607
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This a wonderful beach to visit. There is a reason why so many photo shoots take place here. There are lots of rocks to play around and the beach is pretty clean. There is a steep cliff to travel down before you reach the beach. If you cannot climb stairs, this is not the beach for you. Also, READ THE PARKING SIGNS! I saw the sheriff give out over 40 parking tickets one day. Just because you saw everyone else park on the street, doesn't mean you should. You actually can park for free across the highway if the lot is full (which you have to pay for). It totally makes sense to have everyone park across the street, then have them cross a highway where traffic is going 55+ mph, and no crosswalk.... Don't park on the beach side. That's my advice! Oh and there are only portapotties (ew!) Other than those 2 things, I think it's still worth a visit and a picture or two.

11  Thank Expertpacker87
Reviewed 28 May 2014

There are a lot of people who go here to take pics. It is a pretty neat, out of the way place. It is a bit of a walk down, but fun to do. It is worth it to park on PCH and walk

1  Thank jim s
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When I discovered this place just by accident, my jaw dropped when I saw the beautiful rock formations on the beach. THE PLACE for portrait photography at the beach, and to get the most beautiful sunset/sunset shots, AND if you really are into it; milkyway night sky shots. The beach is cleaner than most I've been to in south california. It is a popular destination so try to not come during the weekend when many bring their kids and it is generally more populated. If you are going to come on the weekend, go very early. Don't forget, if you are going to park, you have to pay a $8 fee. Don't put a $20 bill in there because it will eat it and not give you any change as I learned the hard way.

This is also a very beautiful destination for couples to just enjoy the sound of the waves and take long walks. There is also a nice little cave like carve in a huge stone that you can go inside and relax. Overall one of my favorite beaches to go to any time.

4  Thank Sevan I