“You can pretend you are on the show!”
Review of Wellfit Malibu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malibu
Wellfit Malibu
“You can pretend you are on the show!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was a little afraid as I drove into the resort driveway. Was a Jillian trainer going to yell at me? Was I going to be able to do all the exercises? Will I fit in? All my fears faded away as I waited on a Sunday afternoon for the guests to arrive. We were in a rustic wooded area of Malibu, chilly cold but of course it was January. We had an intial weigh in, pictures taken and told to meet in the dining room for our first lecture. People were friendly, the staff was pretty good and the week was full of hiking, walking, swimming, weight training, cardio, kick boxing, cooking demos, nutrition lectures, massages (to work on very sore muscles) and the food was really good. the meals are all calorie controlled but I never had to resort to a hidden snack bar in my room. I did smuggle in my form of caffine because no one wants to be around me during an entire week of no caffine! I made many friends there- we keep in touch via facebook and email to see how we have progressed with our weight loss or new eating habits. I went by myself and there were many others as singles or couples- also many mothers and daughters. The ocean is only miles away and you can do walks or hikes along the sand and watch the dolphins play in the waves- that is a very magical experience.
Would I go back? Yes- in a minute! The daily hikes are about 2.5 hours long and that really is a great calorie burning way to start your morning. Each day is a different hike and you are broken into groups of level of fitness. I can't wait to go back in the summer time and do another week with the knowledge I already have. The rooms are very simple and small- this is not a spa. This is a week to commit to new healthy habits and exercise- you only use your rooms to change clothes many times a day and sleep after a day well spent.

Room Tip: All the rooms are like trailors set into the woods. All are the same and the maximum amount of guest...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank swimdiva

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lancaster, California
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Everyone is given the same amount of calories and the same exercise classes regardless of age, gender, or weight. The gyms are windowless tents that feel like saunas on hot days. The spa does not have a waiting room requiring you to wait outside and no bathroom requiring you to go downstairs in your robe to use the dining room bathroom. My trailer had ants and light coming through the window which kept me up all night because there were no blackout curtains. We were told we would get some kind of credit or compensation for our inconvenience but I never did. All I got was a stressful, hurried massage where the massager tried to sell me her own line of products. After one week all I lost was 3 pounds, one week of my time, and a lot of money!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
27 Thank Gretchen G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is a great way to jump start a lifestyle change. I learned so many things that i can take home and continue on my own. Not only are the staff caring and extremely supportive!! But the other guests are too. There are people from all walks of life in all forms of fitness and no matter what your story is someone else has one too and we all got through the week together. The variety of classes is wonderful, something for everyone and they encourage you to try, step out of your comfort level. The food is very good, i was never hungry. The rooms are very basic but sufficient in what you need. You are not in your rooms much so the money shouldn't be spent there anyway!! I met some great people, lost a few pounds, learned a lot and walked away with a great feeling of accomplishment.

As a side note, i arrived with a knee injury and everyone was helpful in offering options. Big thanks to Micaela who really helped me work around the injury!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank mlpinzur
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Overweight & out-of-shape, I checked into the resort with great apprehension. What is awesome is that the trainers & staff adapt workouts for ALL fitness levels. They assist each guest to overcome their current status and achieve much higher levels, but there is no yelling at you like on the TV show.

Make sure you sign up for a massage early in your stay. The cost is extra to your weekly fee, but rates are reasonable. You'll need it after exercising 6 hours each day. I cannot say enough about the masseuses. They provide, literally, restorative massages. The hot tub also helps with sore muscles, as does the daily 6am stretch class (optional, but well worth it).

The food is very delicious & satisfying. I never went hungry, and I have quite an appetite. By the end of the week, as I adjusted, I routinely left food on the plate. So you're also learning portion control.

The rooms are fine-- you don't spend much time in them. The staff is incredibly helpful. I had a wonderful time making lifestyle changes that I continue to build on. I'm so glad I overcame my fear and apprehension. Just go.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the workout facilities as there is little time between fitness classes...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank QueenLaTeacha
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

For an exercise focused weight loss and fitness program, this place hits the sweet spot. The personalized attention on beautiful hikes in Malibu makes a challenging experience possible. Very caring and supportive staff who seem deeply committed to the cause. Fitness programming and variety are excellent. It keeps you engaged and interested through your exhaustion. Attendance is taken ... You cannot slouch off here.

The food preparation is spotty (sometimes excellent, other times overcooked and not creative) and nutrition education was lackluster ... The only area where enthusiasm waned. Outstanding, supportive psychologist provides wonderful, personal lectures that engage. I had the best massage of my life here. It left me speechless.

There is no medical care. If you have ongoing active medical ssues, there are other facilities for weight loss that would be better for you.

The cabins are comfortable but not luxury, fitting with what you are signing up for! Pretty campus in a gorgeous locale. They truly take advantage of ad show off the beauty of the California coast and Santa Monica mountains.

I would return for another diet and exercise 'tune up'.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
15 Thank DCDoctor
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I went to Fitness Ridge in Malibu to "re-program" myself and get out of a 2-year-long rut of bad habits - eating too much, drinking too much (great) wine, exercising too little. And it sure worked for me.

This isn't a "luxury" resort. As the branding with the TV show indicates, it's a fitness camp focused on healthy eating and exercise. I've been home for a month now, and I'm pleased to report success with kick-starting my own daily fitness program, thanks to Fitness Ridge.

The onsite staff in Malibu is terrific. They are skilled, experienced, empathetic, and dedicated to their guests. When I made special requests, everyone was extraordinarily accommodating. The campus is up in the Malibu hills, shaded by oaks, and nicely landscaped. The buildings, including the modular guest cabins, are utilitarian, but they are perfectly functional, very clean, and well-supplied.

Again, the focus is fitness, not luxury. The food is tasty and well-prepared. The resort-priced massages were some of the best I've ever had, and the salon services were expert too.

Many guests stay for months, on the way to losing hundreds of pounds, while many others stay for only a week or two, in order to regain their self-discipline, with the help of the accomplished staff.

Room Tip: Specify a "quiet" room when making your reservation.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
17 Thank RThyme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 5 in Malibu
Sheraton Agoura Hills Hotel
#3 of 3 in Agoura Hills

Been to Wellfit Malibu? Share your experiences!