“It's all about the atmosphere here”

Malibu Cafe at Calamigos Ranch
Ranked #14 of 93 Restaurants in Malibu
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kanan Rd and Mulholland
Description: Cafe M is the most exciting and wildly romantic dining destination in the Malibu Hills. Located at the Crest of Malibu, off Kanan Rd. and Mulholland Dr. lies a unique restaurant and lounge with a Nouveau Barbeque menu that made Calamigos Ranch famous 4 generations ago, and keeps it breathtaking today. Join them Thursday through Sunday from noon to midnight with an amazing al fresco lunch by their private lake, or join them for dinner on a candlelit patio overlooking the property, and stay for farm fresh cocktails under the stars with romantic lounge music, live jazz and blues under the stars!! As the only dining destination on the Malibu Wine trail, come see what Malibu Vines can offer with the finest wine selections, and even tastings right at the restaurant. Bring a special someone, family, or just some friends and lounge on private cabanas, fluffy day beds, or get a private raft to sail the lake on. There truly is nothing quite like an evening at M Cafe.
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

This place has a cool factor about it for sure. And you can tell they cater towards larger parties and special events. My husband and I enjoyed a little dinner here while visiting Malibu. It was a cold night and in much need of a good heater, we ordered our food and then walked around a bit to explore the several outdoor game areas. By the time we got back to our table, we realized they had moved our heater from our table to another table... We didn't say anything but it was strange as hell since we were staring at 4 other heaters not being used. Even through the cold night, we sat there and enjoyed the string lights, country music and beautiful Malibu. Being from the south, we loved it. The food was good, but nothing stood out as amazing. I recommend this place for the ambiance and good wine selection. Really cool place. But, speak up if your cold :)

1  Thank Peacelovevacation

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were visiting family in the Los Angeles area and they took us here for Sunday brunch. We had a great time. Great staff, great food!! A must do when in the LA area.

2  Thank Thepole007
Reviewed 13 February 2014

If youre looking for a quick getaway in Malibu's backyard, Calamigos Ranch is your destination! scenic, green, pet friendly. They have a besutiful restaurant in the woods there along with Biggest Loser...

2  Thank Yolanda F
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I went to Calamigos for a birthday party. Going down the drive way, all the trees had fairy lights on them. There was a private bungalow for our group. The food was good, there was dancing and a comfortable scene.
I remember the old days when it was just starting. We would ride horseback over the hill from Malibu, stay the night and have breakfast. Both situations were a lot of fun. Great place in a beautiful area.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

This place simply rocks with ambiance, character, uniqueness, and a great menu and wine list. My husband and I discovered The Malibu Cafe at Calamigos Ranch this summer and I was in love and didn't want to leave. Located on 160 gorgeous acres of Malibu wine country ranch land owned by The Gerson family, is this rustic California restaurant specializing in "Nouveau Barbeque. The drive up 327 Latigo Canyon Rd in Malibu gets you ready for the beautiful setting. Parking is interesting, but these people have it down to a science, even with several weddings scheduled on the property that day, we got in easily with our reservations and little waiting. We were escorted to a table near the outdoor fireplace. It was August, but definitely getting a little chilly in the canyon in the evening. Our waiter appeared quickly and took our drink orders. We wandered the gorgeous grounds while our appetizers were being prepared. There are several outdoor "rooms" set on different levels of decks and the main outdoor "room." There are settings for large groups with banquettes, Adirondack chairs, secluded spots for couples, and wide open spaces...all outdoors in this gorgeous setting. Several pool tables were set under huge trees with rustic antler chandeliers overhanging. A small lake or pond is on the property with canoes to paddle. Hard to describe this special ambiance. Even pictures don't do it justice. It is just the most beautiful and elegantly rustic ranch setting that exudes rustic California at its best.

The food...the food! It was as wonderful as the setting. I ordered the Penn Cove Black Mussels. I have only had mussels that were really good a few times and this was one of those times. Arrived in a huge bowl in a spicy leek broth that was so good I wanted to order it again! My husband ordered the butternut squash soup and it was delectable as well.

Ordered the coffee and black beer braised short rib for my entree and husband ordered the roasted bone in Karabuta pork chop. Thought I'd died and gone to braised short rib heaven and hubs was extremely happy with his pork chop. Our waiter was attentive and we enjoyed his banter as we discovered he was from my home state. His wine recommendation was excellent and I wanted to leave with a case of it.

Wanted to order dessert, although we were stuffed and really couldn't enjoy it. We wandered around the area a little more and came back and enjoyed the rest of our wine near the fire as it was getting more chilly. Hated to leave this magical setting. There were couple, families with children, a young couple near us with a newborn, retired couples, wedding parties and we heard that The Biggest Loser contestants were on the property dining too. It's a must see/eat experience in Malibu -- worth the drive. I'm not easily impressed and I've seen lots of ranches here in Texas, and had my share of great dinners and braised short ribs. But this is now one my favorite places, and I will be back as much as possible when we are in California.

2  Thank vaustin08