“Amazing clam chowder - everything else not so much”

Paradise Cove Beach Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Paradise Cove Beach Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 92 Restaurants in Malibu
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Malibu
Cross street: Paradise Cove Rd.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have been here before and had great experiences, but yesterday (for my birthday) they sorta bombed. I had made a reservation for 5pm and we arrived a bit early at 4:40, but were seated right away. Our server was good and our drinks arrived fairly quickly as did our appetizer. The chips and guacamole are really good and fresh and arrive in a huge margarita glass (although my margarita came in a tall straight glass - huh... Anyway, we ordered our mains - my husband had the blackened fish tacos (he wasn't a fan, but I tried and thought they were good), my daughter ordered a veggie burger and she said it was inedible. I ordered the Sandwich "IN" Soup - their amazing clam chowder that - according to the menu - is a crab and shrimp melt floating in chowder. I've had it before and that is what I remember (although my memory isn't what it used to be ;-). The fish tacos and veggie burger arrived, but not my meal. I am fairly patient, but they were testing me. After more than 5 minutes (during which time my husband and daughter did NOT eat as they were waiting for me to be served), a runner walked by and said, "They haven't brought your food yet?" and he ran off. It was almost a total of 10 minutes before I got my food. The chowder was piping hot and awesome with lots of clams. The sandwich was served cut into quarters on a separate plate...and it was cold. You could tell it had been sitting for...I don't know...like 10 minutes. I flagged down the server and sent it back. He asked if I wanted another and I said yes if it could be brought hot. Five or so minutes later he brings the sandwich back. It obviously had not been remade which is what I would expect of a good restaurant; however, my original sandwich was just put back on the grill, heated and browned up some more. I did accept it though as I was hungry and it wasn't a huge deal. They did comp me my meal so they do get higher marks for that.

All in all, the location is beautiful, parking is $6 with free valet service and validation, the clam chowder is the best I have ever had, but everything else was just mediocre. Oh and the prices are REALLY high. The chips and guac were $17.95 (but we knew that going in). If you've never been here before and decide to check it out, I HIGHLY recommend perusing their menu online first so you do not have sticker shock when you arrive. Not sure it's worth another trip there as there are other great places in the area.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have been at this restaurant for three times. All times food was just O.K. Even less then just O.K. for the price that they ask. Everything was the quality of fast food restaurant that is running out of frying oil. Location is amazing, and they validate the parking, but because this is a popular place for going on the beach, parking can be easily full.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We pulled in here on a whim, we wanted to visit a beach away from Santa Monica and came across this place. The parking was $40 or $6 if you spend $30 in the beach cafe so after a 2 hour drive through LA traffic and not feeling like driving much more we didn't have much choice but to eat here.

We put our name down on the list for dinner as soon as we arrived and were given a buzzer to take out on the beach. The staff at the front of the restaurant were very helpful and accomodating and called us closer to 6pm (which we had requested when putting our name down)

It was very busy on the beach and in the restaurant, quite a rowdy family sort of place which had a nice atomosphere.

The food was average, lots of fried stuff on the menu but also lots of choice, fish, meat, salad etc.

Valet parking was complimentary.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This location was superb,your table is literally in the sand! The view is gorgeous! Right on the Beach. The food is overpriced but that is to be expected due to the location. Get there early if you don't want to wait. Your parking ticket will be validated if you eat at Paradise Cove, so don't let the parking fee scare you away. The view is worth it!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The views from this place are fantastic. Just Pacific ocean for miles. The fish is very very fresh, but nothing spectacular our completely out of this world. It's just good fresh fish.