“Best Sushi in Los Angeles....”
Review of Zooma Sushi

Zooma Sushi
Ranked #39 of 92 Restaurants in Malibu
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Neighbourhood: Malibu
Neighbourhood: Malibu
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Las Vegas roll....don't miss out on this one....the lobster hand roll....two of my favorite's...everything here is the freshest fish...excellent quality and the service is great...opens at 5 my only complaint...would like to eat at lunch time also.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Found this gem by accident while cruising down the PCH to LA. It's small round sign is hard to see from the road but it's in a cool multi-level little mall in a wooded area on the south side of the road. It's quite scenic but does not have an ocean view. The menu isn't terribly extensive but the quality of the sushi is supurb. We had miso and tried seven different rolls. It was all delicious. The place opened at 5:05pm and was PACKED by 7pm on a Sunday night with mostly locals who seemed to know the staff. Our service wasn't excellent but they were busy and we weren't regulars...

Reviewed 14 September 2011

Small quaint restaurant tucked away in the trees. This is an easily missed sushi restaurant. I would never have found it had it not been for my partner.

I'm sure this is the best sushi I've ever put into my mouth. I only wish I lived closer so I could visit more often. Check it out. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I have no idea what the reviewer on top is talking about, I've been coming to zooma sushi for years and its definately not "typical" sushi. No they don't add "huge" amounts of rice to the sushi, if you're ordering sushi (not sashimi, which comes with no rice) of course it comes with rice! The same goes with nobu, they have the same quantity of rice in their rolls, nobu just has an artsier presentation. Let's compare prices, two salmon skin handrolls at zooma come to about 12.50 and one from nobu is around 14.50 and they're literally the exact same roll! Zooma is always fresh and the food is always good just stay away from the salads, their much too overpriced. Nobu is quite delicious but pertains to bougie prices.

1  Thank groblobster
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I don't get it. When I compare this place to Nobu - Malbu, it's like apples to oranges.

Zooma, is your typical "suburban sushi" that is served throughout the USA. A little fish, surrounded by a "huge" amount of sticky rice. Typical. It cost about 20% less than Nobu, but falls short by about 75%. Not a good deal in my opinion.

Seating is poor (outdoor), and thankfully, with heaters (even in June), as Malibu is not "hot" like Calabasas or surrounding areas. Service is "cutesy" but not professional.

If Zooma was 50% cheaper than Nobu, I'd say it's a fair deal, but at only 20%, please go to Nobu.

A little bit of "sushi" surrounded by a "huge" amount of rice. Easily twice the size of Nobu's. Hmmm. Rice. (Really, really, cheap in my book.) Don't be decieved by the "size" of your sushi but look for the fish inside. Zooma makes eating their "sushi" very difficult given the huge amount of rice surrounding the tiny piece of fish while Nobu - Malibu offers more fish and less rice in a smaller package.

I suggest you skip Zooma and stay with Nobu. Fantastic surroundings only surpassed by its food. Zooma, head down to your local strip mall and enjoy the same.