“What a gem right in the middle of Malibu”
Review of The M Malibu

The M Malibu
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Malibu
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I absolutely loved our stay at The M Motel. The room was clean and furnished retro. The staff helped me immediately with extra towels. Check in was a breeze - very friendly staff. The motel is right across from the Beach. We played all day at the beach and then jumped in the pool! A pool at a motel at the beach - what a prize! The rate was very reasonable. We took the walking path up to have breakfast overlooking the ocean. There is an organic market right next door. We drove 1/2 mile to the Country Mart but there are 4 restaurants right there. We will definitely come back and I hope there is a room of us after posting this review!!!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd room close to front
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went off a recommendation that said it looked nice, mid century modern, they took dogs and rate was under $200 per night. Last time I do that!
Staff was super friendly. When we got to our room my heart sank. A studio style room with wood floors, a king bed w/metal headboard/cotton duvet cover, chrome metal 3 tier rack for your bags/hanging items, small fridge but no coffee machine, small table with two chairs and plastic vertical blinds on the slider door and window - the kind that clang together and make noise when the wind blows.
Bathroom and room were done in minimalist modern design. Overall pretty clean but the bathroom looked less than desirable to shower in. We used my son's shower at his house instead. Tile floor with dirty old grout in both shower and on floor, functioning toilet, pedestal sink and a 1' cube table to hold extra toilet paper was the extent of the bathroom. When we turned on the hot water in the sink the pipes made a loud cranking-churning sound that was sure to bother the adjoining rooms. The louver window was missing a panel and thus constantly open, letting noise in. There were 2 bath towels for 2 guest but only 1 hand & 1 washcloth. I thought an oversight but when they cleaned the room for day 2, again only 1 hand and 1 washcloth was left for us. Our reservation showed 2 people in the room.
The room was noisy due to being located on the PCH. Traffic speeds by until 3 a.m - 4 a.m. I know the exact time because I couldn't sleep either night.
The bed was comfy. We closed every window and door to lessen the noise but the room got hot and there's no air-conditioning. An overhead fan (light would not work) helped to at least move the hot air around.
Outside of the pool area the buildings and area surrounding the motel are junky with overgrown dry dead weeds and abandoned tires. A liquor store and an old rusted pet grooming building are next door. No established area to let your dog relieve himself - choice is the PCH sidewalk or a steep dangerous rocky hill trail in back. No wonder I saw other dogs relieving themselves outside the room doors. Parking is easy during the day but hard to find a spot at night. We had to park along the curb up the street.
At first a trooper, by the end I couldn't wait to get out of there! I would not recommend the motel to anyone. If budget is your concern, go further out of town to find a spot for the same money. Next trip we'll spend the extra $$ and stay with our dog where we can feel relaxed, enjoy our surroundings and get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Upper floors would at least have views. We were told no dogs above first level but spotted a third f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lili B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Rooms are simple and nice, location is great, walking distance to the pier. Prices are reasonable and service was great. The views from the room amazing! We had a minor hiccup wit our reservation but we were able to work through it to resolution. Cute spot would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view worth it,.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Needs fluffier pillows but the overall stay was amazing. The girl in the front office was very helpful and we even met a celebrity in there. we had a balcony overlooking the Pacific Highway and the ocean...it was amazing. I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Was overly priced very noisy but the beds were comfortable
For the price you got nothing at least the $50 hotel gaves you coffee . It seems to be on the outside of town was very dirty area and next door to a rehab center

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My wife and I have two kids so a one night getaway is a rarity. We decided to head to malibu for a expnesive (but worth every penny) dinner at nobu in malibu. We just wanted to find a cheaper hotel since all we needed was a comfy bed and a quite place to sleep. Too bad we didn't get any sleep at all.

The walls in the malibu motel are paper thin. We had a couple in the room next door who stayed up late (we think they went to bed around 4am.) They wern't really being loud at all, just talking, playing music on there phone. But It sounded like they were in the same room as us. My wife and I didn't sleep all night, and went home longing for a night of good rest.

The thing that made us mad is that I had asked for a quiet room, and the motel was empty. They stuck us right next to someone when there were probably 20 other rooms that were empty. We would have asked to change rooms in the middle of the night but the front desk closes at 10pm and they don't have anyone on the grounds till 8 in the morning.

Needless to say I would not be going back here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bmartenson
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We didn't know what to expect should have checked with trip advisor it was a spur of the moment decision in an otherwise well planned out trip. It's hard to beat the Pacific Ocean. The price was right that's for sure. I don't want to be overly critical because again it was last minute. The people were very nice.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank smithfamily924
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Malibu
Santa Monica
Shore Hotel
Shore Hotel
#1 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to The M Malibu? Share your experiences!