“We are in Malibu!!”

and up
Private Tour: Malibu Wine Tasting from Los Angeles
Ranked #20 of 52 things to do in Malibu
More attraction details
Owner description: Rosenthal - The Malibu Estate is an exclusive vineyard in Malibu, California that produces its own selection of red and white wines. The first vineyard in Malibu and the only vineyard in the Malibu-Newton Canyon AVA, the estate is still owned by its namesake, George Rosenthal, who established the winery over 20 years ago. Today, the Rosenthal brand represents a combination of product and place: • Meticulously-crafted Wines - We feature a selection of full-bodied, fruit-forward, quintessentially Californian wines with a French touch, including the signature Rosenthal reds and whites, the limited-edition, small-batch Block M and G Collection wines and the Surfrider varieties. • The Malibu Estate Vineyard - Set on 250 picturesque acres in Malibu-Newton Canyon, this 32-acre vineyard is located four miles from the ocean at 1400 feet, within a perfect microclimate for growing high-quality grapes. • The Rosenthal Tasting Room - Just off the beach in Malibu, the Tasting Room offers a casual atmosphere in which to discover and enjoy the full selection of Rosenthal wines while enjoying live entertainment and the marvelous ocean view-either indoors or on our outdoor patio.
Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“We are in Malibu!!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Beautiful Location right on PCH..... very good wines, knowledgeable staff. I have to say though, at $60 for a bottle of wine (one of the less expensive ones on the menu) and 2 wine tastings (which totaled about 1 glass, at the most), this will be a one hit wonder for me. Kind of expensive. But we are in Malibu.
An absolutely beautiful place, we took our wine to the back patio area where we sipped in leisure and enjoyed the Sunday "70's type" of music ensemble that was the entertainment......
The $5 parking fee was kind of over the top because this was a pricey experience anyway, but I can understand that because it is right across from the beach and they need to keep out the riff raff. The porta potties were probably as clean as can be reasonably expected but were kind of unexpected and a a turn off for such an upscale venue. The oversized chairs and bottle of wine outside the building was the best part for me. Funny.....like from the movie "Big". A nice experience, but having "been there, done that" I will return to drinking my two buck chuck in my lawn chair at home.....

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Msdude

Dublin, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Nice day drinking spot in Malibu”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I had visited Rosenthal the year before with some friends and decided to return with some other friends visiting from Minnesota. This is not the winery, but the wine bar with a rear picnic area. The wine is decent but the location is right off the famous Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu across the street from the Pacific Ocean. There is nothing like drinking in the warm sun with the ocean breeze and the sound of the waves. The service is very good with friendly staff though the one male staffer was not that knowledgeable about his own wine. The staff was very attentive to bring out a wine chiller with ice and replace it when the ice melted. The nice thing about Rosenthal is that you can bring your own snacks and sit in the rear picnic area or sample the food trucks that are stationed there. Sometimes they will have music. The minor gripe is the $5 charge for parking in a dirt lot when you're purchasing bottles (plural) of wine - not a good business practice. I understand you do not want beachgoers parking there but you can have someone attending to that instead of charging patrons. Be aware that there is no bathroom but four outdoor upgraded port-a-potties. Also, Rosenthal will host special events and close off the rear picnic area, so call ahead on the day you plan to go and see if that is the case otherwise you will be relegated to the inside. Not that there is anything wrong with that but why be indoors when you are in Malibu?

Visited June 2014
Santa Monica, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Wine Tasting at The Beach in Malibu”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is absolutely one of my favorite places to hang out on a sunny afternoon!

You can do a tasting flight inside with the super friendly and knowledgeable staff or order by the glass or bottle and sit outside in the grassy back patio area.

Bring your own snacks/food, order from the gourmet food trucks (there every weekend) or get food to go from one of two amazing restaurants just a (beach)stone's throw away (Cholada Thai or Reel Inn) which are truly two of Malibu's great local secrets that still have the OG Malibu vibe from the good old days (I grew up in Malibu, so this means a lot to me and is not easy to find anymore with all the glitz that's come to town in the last couple decades).

If you want to hang out on the beach, there is even an underpass that will get you safely across PCH if you're a little wobbly after your wine (Frogger is not as fun in real life!)

The Tasting Room Manager, Riley, is one of the nicest and most authentic guys you'll ever meet. He treats everyone like family and he'll make you feel welcome and want to visit often... which I most certainly do!

This brings me to the Wine Club, which is a GREAT deal if you live nearby because you'll get a free tasting for you & a friend (up to 4 times a month!) and it even includes social events at the owner's (Mr. Rosenthal himself) Malibu estate where some of the grapes are grown.

Please feel free to watch the surfers across the street, but don't paddle out into the lineup if you don't know what you are doing/are not a local ;)

Also... if you're NOT super friendly & cool, this place is not for you...

It's 21 & over and children are generally not allowed.

Visited May 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Awesome Hang-Out Spot!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I came here to do some casual wine tasting, while getting a view of the Pacific, and we were so impressed! We tried a flight of 4 wines, 3 whites and 1 red. Then we had a glass of the Albarino, which was my personal favorite, while sitting at a table with an ocean view, and enjoying some garlic cheese & butter crackers. We hung out there for at least an hour or so, and it wasn't too busy for being a Friday. The bartenders were very knowledgeable, informative & friendly, and we had a great time. I would absolutely go back just to hang out there, especially on a hot day! There was plenty of outdoor seating for people, a good amount of indoor seating, with a nice bar area, and the best outdoor bathrooms I've ever been in.

If you're looking into other places for wine tasting, don't bother, just hang out here!

Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“perfection”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Wine and music on the beach.. what more do you need? Tastings available at the bar, bottles available for purchase to enjoy in the garden. Live music on the weekends. Grab some take out (Reel Fish Inn for Seafood, or Thai food right next door) and enjoy with your wine! They have snacks for purchase (cheese, crackers, hummus, etc.) My favorite spot in Malibu!

Visited September 2013