“Farmhouse shouldn't have moved...”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
American Farmhouse Tavern & Dining Hall
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Pub, Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 10th & Sepulveda
California
“Farmhouse shouldn't have moved...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

I was a frequent diner at the Farmhouse when it was a tiny "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant. Back then the service was fabulous, the food was inexpensive and delicious and the place was always packed. Then the owner decided to expand and moved...as happens many times with expansions, the place lost a LOT of appeal. The service is now horrible. I went there twice recently (once for brunch on the weekend and once during the week for lunch). I was there with three friends for brunch and there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant. Service was HORRIBLE. You would have thought the place was packed--the two servers were too busy talking and laughing with each other to pay attention to the two tables. The food was mediocre and two of us had to send it back because it was cold. It took forever to get it back. One order was incorrect, but we were so sick of waiting my girlfriend didn't bother about it and ate it anyway. Our coffee was never refilled and the only way we managed to get the check was because we stood up to leave and literally waved down one of the two servers (who were still giggling in the corner). I decided to give it another chance and went with a friend to have lunch about a week later as a "test." I ordered the turkey burger and it was horrible. It was supposed to have lettuce and tomato on it, but it lacked both. Instead it came with only the sauce--I mean, really?? It was a pretty sad looking burger; the french fries were cold and tasted like they had been sitting out for a while. Of course, the server had forgotten about us, and we had to ask where our meals were so that might explain things. The place was also empty; we were the only people in there and it was noon! I've gone from being a frequent guest to "never going back."

• Visited September 2012

Los Angeles
“The New Transform American Farmhouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

What a transformation. Most businesses that expand to a new location is just more of the same. With American Farmhouse, it was more like they had grown up and matured to more class and depth. I very much enjoyed our dinner here. The dining room is bright spacious and airy yet elegant, in contrast to the old location which was cozy.

The service was fantastic. Everyone was so nice and personable. Our server was attentive and very knowledgeable about the menu. She recommended the Chili Verde, which was exactly what I was thinking of having. Tender pork drenched in a slightly spicy, slightly tangy and slightly smokey sauce - a great combination. A bit of saucy pork with a spoonful of rice and you have a delicious mouthful.

The beans were a bit bland and the portions are a bit light for a restaurant with " Farmhouse" as its name - other than that it was a great dinner.

• Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
“Good happy hour. Nice for a weeknight dinner.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Went here with the boyfriend and his folks. We got the happy hour wine for $5/ glass (something like that... it was really cheap whatever it was). Enjoyed that alot. Boyfriend and I split the salmon and ordered an extra side and salad because each dish comes with a ton of food. Really liked the salad. The salmon was done perfectly but I wasn't wowed, and I got the veggie skewer on the side, which was fine. They bring you this "soup" stuff at the start of the meal, where you add beans to the veggie soup. Everyone shares out of the middle of the table, and you dip your serving into your cup. Interesting... I would have preferred a different soup and would recommend ordering an appetizer if you're going to split the meal. The place had a cool vibe as far as decor. I liked the light fixtures.

• Visited June 2012
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Really Wanted this Family Owned Restaurant to be Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Thought we'd give it a try as we received a coupon for 20% in the weekly coupon flyer. We went for lunch on a Saturday. It was 12noon, and only one other table was occupied. This concerned us as no restaurant in Manhattan Beach should be empty on a Saturday at lunch time.
We were greeted by friendly staff. Our server took our drink order of two ice teas. We then placed our meal order. We both got the tri-tip sandwich as the waitress said they were known for their Santa Maria barbecue.
The sandwiches were served in a pretty unappealing way. Just the sandwich and sweet potato fries for me and onion rings for my mom. No garnish, no small piece of fruit - nothing. A sandwich and fries should be accompanied by a nice garnish of a few strawberries, slice of orange, or something. The tri-tip was well done and we asked for medium. We had to ask for the salsa for my mom's plate as it did not come on the plate. She also was not served any ketchup like I was, but she received some orange sauce, and when she asked the server that brought the food what it was, he said he thought it was for the onion rings. Really? Not sure? I then had to ask for a refill on my ice tea. The server never gave us a refill on her own, even though it was clear our glasses were empty. My mom never did get a refill. You should never have to ask a server for a refill - certainly not at $3.00 a glass.
Also come to find out looking at their menu that all meals are supposed to be served with a fresh vegetable tray - we never got that either!
And $2.00 extra for sweet potato fries or onion rings is ridiculous. With the onion rings, they only gave like 6 - so truly, those six onion rings can't cost more than french fries.
No dessert was offered, so I don't know if they have them.
Service = 1.5 stars
Food Quality = 2 stars
Food Presentation = 1.5 stars
Dollar Value - 1.5 stars
Environment = 3 stars
For $3.00 more, we could have gone to Houston's and ordered their fabulous french dip sandwich on a homemade roll, with a wonderful au'jus and one of their terrific sides of coleslaw, fries, vegetable or potato. And, the ambience far exceeds this restaurant. And, you never have to ask for a refill - as it should be.
We may give the restaurant one more try for dinner - but if that rates like this sub-par experience, we won't be back. There are way too many good restaurants in the area to pick from.
Sorry Farmhouse, but you need a huge improvement to your service staff and quality of food and food presentation. Dollars are just much too valuable now. I really like to support a family business, but even a family business has to compete.

• Visited April 2012
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Really Wanted this Family Restaurant to be Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

No dessert was offered, so I don't know if they have them.
Service = 1.5 stars