“Overshadowed by newer places, but still worth the visit”
Review of Cafe Pierre - CLOSED

Cafe Pierre
Price range: US$31 - US$80
Cuisines: European, French, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highland Ave.
Reviewed 13 September 2013

There was a time, 10 years ago, when Cafe Pierre was the only place for foodies in MB. Now MB is full of new restaurants catering to a more discerning diner. Yet Cafe Pierre should not be overlooked. The updated interior from a few years ago is a welcoming spot to sit and eat, and the menu provides a diverse collection of small plates and entrees that should appeal to everyone. The quality of the food remains high, the service friendly and attentive, and there is less noise and frenzy than some of the newer places, that may have brought a little too much West LA to the beach, in my opinion. More relaxing and still enjoyable overall, if that is what you are looking for. You will not regret your visit.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Pierre

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Had not been to Manhattan Beach for many years. It was an early Friday evening and many of the "watering holes" were filled to overflowing with loud 20 somethings. We selected Cafe Pierre based on wanting a quiet romantic dinner and trying French foods. We did not have reservations but it was early in the evening and they seated us at a lovely window table. The menu had a selection of 'small plates' as well as main course options. We shared three of the 'small plates' which all were well presented and tasty. The food we both loved was a risotto with fresh mushrooms....delicious! I told our server it was the best risotto I had ever had in a restaurant and was surprised I had found it in a French restaurant. He then told me the owner was Italian and enjoyed combining French and Italian recipes. The Cafe Pierre made our trip especially memorable and we would definitely come back again.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Had an early dinner business meeting with clients starting at around 6 pm. On a Thursday night the place was pretty empty when we arrived, and gradually filled to about 3/4 full by the time we left at 830. Right on the main street in MB, its in the same block as many other restaurants and bars.

Service was very friendly and informative. Not only did we have the waiter and a bus boy, but the owner came over a few times to check on us to make sure we were enjoying our experience, and to help deliver entrees as well. A nice touch.

I had a carrot squash soup which tasted great on a mid 60's evening, and then opted for a small plate shrimp dish with a chile sauce that was just the right size for me that evening. The rest of my table shared a tuna tartare and then each had sandwichs from that portion of the menu. They both very much enjoyed them.

Can't really comment on dessert, but I had a decaf cappucino which was large and very good.

Prices seemed somewhat uneven. Some things seemed overpriced based on their description.

This was a great place to go for a business conversation as it was not too noisy. The food was very good and the service most helpful. About the only thing that I feel could probably be improved a bit is the atmosphere. If we weren't near the window, the rest of the space appeared kind of dark. But I would definitely return.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

A gracious and cozy French cafe run by a delightful woman who pays attention to her customers. Well-ttrained wait staff and nicely prepared food. The menu tends to slowly change over time, so if you come to like one particular dish, it might not be there when you return. A nice place for lunch with a first date.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Care Pierre is a true find in the Los Angeles area. This is the fourth time we've been there, and our experiences have been consistent. The food is excellent in terms of flavor, presentation and value. The bar has a cool vibe to it. The service was professional and each waiter we've had was very well trained. This is a truly first class operation and we look forward to returning.